Welcome back to Atari-Forum and huge apologies for the sudden disappearance and the three weeks downtime.
For those who didn't follow the threads at Atari Age or the mini-blog I posted up in the absence of the Forum, here's a run down of what happened:27th December:
Atari-Forum goes offline. I wasn't able to get to the back-end admin at the host (250host), then I discovered that I couldn't actually get to the main 250host website at all. Sent a message to Silver Surfer asking him if he can look into it.28th December:
Got a message back from Silver Surfer, he didn't sound too optimistic but gave me the name of the owner of 250host. I tracked him down via Facebook and sent a message asking for a prognosis.29th-31st December:
Still trying to establish contact with 250host, no joy - noticed some 'bad press' hitting some web host review sites. Silver Surfer's last backup was from 4th December. My first backup was scripted and cunningly (or so I though) scheduled to run on NYE.1st January:
Whatever happens, we need a new host as there have been other issues with access to the site from some people on certain ISP's. New host space purchased from Hostpapa (great reviews, well praised and really cost effective for unlimited space + unlimited bandwidth). I set up a small blog so that any visitor will at least get some information on what's happening. However we needed to wait for Brumme to repoint the domain name to the new host's nameservers.....At this point we are still hoping 250host just reappears and we can get the data back.4th January:
DNS updated, the temporary blog page now sits in place of the Forum.6th January:
I set up a poll on Atari Age
to determine whether users were happy to wait a bit longer for 250host to sort themselves out or look at restoring the backup (losing anything that occurred in December).News started to filter through that 250host had an account issue with their host provider and the owner, Brian had posted on Web Hosting Talk asking for someone to buy the business and take over the account. We don't know for sure how he managed to get himself in arrears.
It became apparent that this wasn't going to be resolved soon so I then looked at restoring the backup...January 9th:
The 4th December backup was uploaded to the new host and I submitted a support request asking the host to migrate the backup in.January 11th:
I receive an email from the host to say the backup provided could not be restored. After running it past Silver Surfer it is because the backends are different (250host used DirectAdmin while HostPapa use cPanel). I was then left with no alternative other that manually restore the backup by hand.January 14th:
The backup archive was not complete
- Using gzip, I got a 'premature EOF' error. Fortunately I got what looked like most of the data (at least the databases were there and around 7500 attachments). However no sign of the Wiki's files (although DB is there).January 17th:
After deciding we really had no other option, I spent the evening with a bottle of red wine and manually put the site back together by hand. The databases were too large to upload in one chunk so had to form separate SQL files to roll the data back in place.
There are still a few items on the 'snag' list, but for the most part, we have a functioning forum again.
My thanks to Silver Surfer, Brumme, Simbo, Ijor, everyone who went out on their own reconnaissance missions to find out what was going on with 250host and also to those who contributed to the threads on AtariAge - it's impossible to make the right decision unless you know what everyone wants.
I've posted the 'snags' list as a separate thread