Should we freeze the forum for the time being?

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Do we lock down the forum for the time being?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:15 am

Yes - I want December's data back.
3%
No - let's just move on as it is.
97%

Total votes: 29

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Should we freeze the forum for the time being?

Postby Dal » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:15 am

Now that we know for sure the state of the backup archive, I think we need to decide whether we move on with the forum as it is or should I lock the forum down to Read-Only until I know for sure whether or not I'm going to get my hands on the most up to date data from 250host's buyer?

To give you a better idea of what's missing and what can/can't be done:
Wiki is missing - I have the database though. If the old data comes back, it's easy enough to copy the files back in and we're back as we were.

Maybe some attachments are missing - again, the files can be rolled in without much effort if they become accessible again.

Posts throughout December - if we keep the forum fully open, it will be impossible to re-import the 'missing' replies/threads/PM's/users/changes etc. If the forum is locked down, then the only thing lost if the old data comes back will be this post along with any others made since 00:30 GMT this morning.

The time I spent doing the work getting this far will be lost and I'll need to re-invest that time again on the old data. That's life though I guess!

Personally, now that I have had a chance to see what's here, I don't think we've come out of this so bad. So unless there's really a desperate need for December's data, there's little point freezing the forum IMHO. Poll is open for today only - roll up, roll up!
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Should we freeze the forum for the time being?

Postby coze » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:19 am

I say we go on, tbh, I dont think you're getting that data anytime soon ...

but then again I didnt have much posts/pms during december, so I dont have much to lose.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:29 am

Been like over 3 weeks since it was 1st discussed to wait for it to come back.
It's long enough for it to come back.
Now we know that some company need to buy it over, it may be longer as commercial T&C are involved.
So just move on with what we have.

If we can get back the old db, there is no point to roll it back in as we already moved on.
But that wiki structure/db would be great to have it back as it will take lots of effort for contributor to write again what they wrote.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

svenski
Atarian
Atarian

Postby svenski » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am

I think that , given the time that has already past, it would be best to just move on.

That aside, I just want to say well done to all of you who have been working hard to get the site and forum back online, and it is great for me (as a disgruntled BT Broadband customer) to be able to access atari-forum again !

Best of luck guys and hope you all have time to partake of some well deserved beers.
http://www.atariuser.com
Atari User - The Monthly Magazine for ALL Atari Formats
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atari 520STFM, 1040 STE

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 pm

Time to move on, we had a similar issue when Atari Music Network was brought back online, some of the more recent bits were missing and files had been moved but old links had been restored. Nearly 7 months on I'm still finding things that are pointing to the wrong locations.

If you have the Wiki database, then couldn't a new wiki be set up and the old database imported into it? As I've never delved into the wiki side of things I don't know what, if any complications can/will arise out of that approach.
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Agreed, we've probably waited long enough, and someone made the point a while back that we're losing more by not having the forum up (and open) than we have to gain in restoring the December posts.

Hopefully we can restore the wiki at some point, and if a full backup image does become available, maybe it won't be too hard to merge the missing posts and files into the new forum DB.

Big respect to Dal for his sterling work throughout the crisis!
tá'n poc ar buile!

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:05 pm

I was ill in December so missed it in real life anyway.

I would vote dump them but I am more a social poster, so I am abstaining.

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Zorro 2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm

I vote for the restore and I hope that another guys don't take this action :?

Only for the fun and I know the efforts did by you mister Dal.

Thank you so much !
Member of NoExtra Team

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:48 pm

we're back !

glad to see us up and running again

thanks

charles

what will freezing it do ?
just let it go
as long as we can access this site and our topics of interest
its good how it stands
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

Glad to see AF up again!!!!
I say move on. If the stuff from Dec can be found and merged, great! if not, well, life goes on. I do not remember there bring very many new threads, and just a few replies. So imo, not mush is lost. And if there was something important, that user can re-start a thread, or re-reply to one.
Thanks all for getting this back to life!!!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:07 am

Dal, you have done such a good, scrub that. You have done such an excellent job getting the incomplete 4th December 2010 back-up online :D .
Lots of members are now using the forum, and adding new posts / replying to posts.
It is impossible to judge how long (if ever) that we will have to wait for the possible new owner / operator of 250host to allow you access to the data.
So I think it best we use this version and move forward.
:idea: If it is possible to make use of some of the data from a copy of the forum from the new owner / operator of 250host and to merge it in then that would be a bonus. I don't think any active threads would benefit, but if there are some posts or threads that are worth saving, would it be possible to add any such posts in threads as read only posts? :?: Or is this a lot of work - silly question, until we have the data no one would know :mrgreen:
As some have said, December was a bit quiet in the areas that I looked at, but then I myself did not spend that much time on the site, what with being busy etc.

:cheers:
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

skeezix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby skeezix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 am

There wasn't much activity in December. Go onwards, and forget the backups :)

If we can get some more attachments/etc then good, but just let the forum go onwards now!

(and keep good backups of it now .. starting now, with the new host all set up ;)

jeff
--
Firebee, MiST, ST Book, STacy, TT030, 520STM, Atari 800XL, Atari 2600 heavy sixer, arcade machines, homemade computers, big toys for big boys!

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:54 am

Pretty unanimous then! I'm glad it went this way as rolling the data in piece by piece was a ball ache! Lol
If the data comes back, then I'll see what I can do about posts. I think trying to shoe-horn individual posts back in would be nonsense where the topics concerned have been active since this restore. However complete topics are a different thing and I could look at rolling those in and making them active.

As said, any missing attachments can simply be file-copied back in place.

Cheers for the support guys!
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

kristjanga
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kristjanga » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 am

here is my vote
YES

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 am

Whoever voted for freeze or wait for DEC data back from 250host just sit back & don't post anything.... while we enjoy the Forum :lol: :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

push2fit
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby push2fit » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Great! Atari-forum is back!

250host is gone - Forever! No Chance to get anything from them.

go on and make daily Backups from now on.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 pm

At least weekly ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”