Adaptation page update

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Adaptation page update

Postby ppera » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 pm

I added page with infos about crackers of used game versions (releases) for adaptations. So, who is interested about, may look there. There is a lot of 'Unknown' entries as it is in Gamebase ST too. Many adaptations I did on base of my old floppies (imaged before 12 years) because I played most of them thoroughly, so can say that are complete. Crack infos were totally unusable, as pirates (from who I bought them) wrote there what wanted. http://ppera.exofire.net/atari/crainf.html

As punishment for not doing this earlier I cracked She-Fox :D . Not exactly excellent game, but I don't see that is available in that form (on WEB, Gamebase ST, Marcer FTP). There is a trainer option for shortening time to finish game (if everyone will go so far), as scrolling is sure head-ache inititator :D

Some interesting games added:
Battlezone (Atari) - color/monochrome
Rolling Ronny: very nice, addictive.
Rockford: Better than Boulder Dash
Starglider: Works on Falcon and TOS 2.06 with minor sound issue.
Quartz: Nice and hard

http://ppera.exofire.net/atari/fromhd.php
ppera

Re: Adaptation page update

Postby sh3-rg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:46 pm

OK the title says adaptation page & it is in news & announcements. So you are announcing an update to an adaption page. That much I follow. But what is an adaptation? I've never heard of one, sorry :( It doesn't make any sense to me, there is nothing to say what an adaptation is & there are no links to these adaptations. I went to the main site to see if there was a link to the mentioned page but there wasn't I don't think (I can't be sure, I think the page was broken in firefox, the text was overlapping the pictures & stuff, looked a bit odd to understand & then the kettle boiled).

So I looked at the list of your games. Why are there so many entries in the list that say 'unknown'? It's like someone has removed the cracktros from your games, where did you get them from? You should only obtain your warez from reliable suppliers - there are some dodgy people out there who have goosed with a lot of releases over the years so things can get messy & broken.

Update 1:
OK you bought them off some pirates who edited the original intros, right? Sorry, I had to re-read what was posted a few times to get the gist. You could take a look at the game files & search though to find hidden messages, for example one might read "cracked by the law" but the cracktro might be missing, that way you could complete your missing information & have a more complete list. It's a long shot, but you never know. Or you could just work from know good games & not your old fuxXx0red stuff from your childhood. It's an option.

Update 2:
Ah, I noticed some text (over an odd animation of a stick man throwing a falcon in a bin) that says adaptations so I assume this is where the adapted games are! Does this mean they are adapted to work on a 4mb ste with tos 2.06 like the picture shows? It's all guess work now... maybe I can find out there on that page what an adapted game is. I'll do that when the site starts working again (bad luck/timing - d'oh):

Network Timeout
The server at ppera.exofire.net is taking too long to respond.
The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

It must be a popular page, I wonder why I've never even heard of it ever before?

ps Excellent news - my tos 2.06 ste has a minor sounds issue, i'm looking forward to trying the starglider ;) And Quartz sounds like just my cup of tea, I do like it nice and hard.
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Heavy Stylus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:18 pm

guffaw!
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
Heavy Stylus
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ppera » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Some call them patches, but I think that word adaptation is better. Patch associates me on patching of some damaged clothing. Here is usually case of doing some modifications which allows that game work (load) in a way not planned by authors or crackers, plus that work under likely non-existing TOS versions and HW in those times.

I spent over 3 hours making list. And yes, I did complete search of all files for word crack. For instance discovered message in Stunt Car Racer: ... if you read this die ! :D And mirically, no any 'law' in Gunship. Of course, searched in depacked files. Used Gamebase ST for such infos, as many game is adapted from there - still many 'Unknown'.

To update 2: RAM requirement is in table.

Both hosts have sometimes slowdowns. I can't help in that.
Last edited by ppera on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppera

Postby sh3-rg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:47 pm

cool i'll take a look when the site is up- i want to read the message in stunt car racer especially.
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Nyh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 pm

sh3-rg wrote:But what is an adaptation?

Ah, I noticed some text (over an odd animation of a stick man throwing a falcon in a bin) that says adaptations so I assume this is where the adapted games are! Does this mean they are adapted to work on a 4mb ste with tos 2.06 like the picture shows?

Look at the title of the page what does it say?
It says: "Atari ST games adapted for run from hard disk + for TOS 2.06, Falcon".

I expect games ST games that work on Falcon will also work on a 4Mb STe.

Personally I do not care by whom the original cracked game was. The important thing is the game work from hard disk as advertised.

Hans Wessels
Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby sh3-rg » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

The Great Mr. Nyh! wrote:Look at the title of the page what does it say?
It says: "Atari ST games adapted for run from hard disk + for TOS 2.06, Falcon".

Look at my post, what does it say? It says...
sh3-rg wrote:It's all guess work now... maybe I can find out there on that page what an adapted game is. I'll do that when the site starts working again (bad luck/timing - d'oh)

The Great Mr. Nyh! wrote:I expect games ST games that work on Falcon will also work on a 4Mb STe.

That's not a bad assumption, I'd go with that.

The Great Mr. Nyh! wrote:Personally I do not care by whom the original cracked game was. The important thing is the game work from hard disk as advertised.

Oh OK, but he's only making a list, you don't have to read it of you don't want to. He's made it out of the goodness of his own heart for the Atari community, you do not have to rubbish his list just because you don't care - he obviously thinks it's important in this day & age to remember who did what & credit the people who put the work in back in the day. "Without the past there is no future".
fxXxings to disco mobile
sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ppera » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:33 pm

There is no game which requires 4 MB RAM in table. Max is 2.5 MB for few.
Left from pic with "STE 4MB..." is text: "...universal launchers for most of games, where system is detected, ..".
Part of system is RAM size, I guess :D 'Universal' here means that single launcher is good for any machine.

Damn exofire is dead at moment... But link from my signature works.
ppera

Return to Website Discussions