My first ST4 Mega, lots of stuff with it, have some question

News, updates, like or dislike

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

dr. plato
Atarian
Atarian

My first ST4 Mega, lots of stuff with it, have some question

Postby dr. plato » Fri May 04, 2007 6:10 am

I just got a Mega ST4, and being a newcomer to this system I need some guidance.

It came with lots of games, some joysticks/gamepads, a Golden Image roller scanner, Realizer software and cartridge, Touch-up software and C-Labs software, the dongle and has another case/powersupply/hd and scsi with an ICD cable.

Lots more unlisted software/games, but one big question. How do I use all this stuff? Another thing is there are alot of 720kb DD floppies with stuff that I don't want/need so having empty disks is no problem, but I don't have access to a PC atm. I could get one running if this is a necessary thing for getting more software and compatible stuff.

I bought it primarily for music as I am a big vintage/analogue gear head so that's my main concern... but as a big fan of classic old games (Dos, Amiga, ect) I am really into that on the side. ;)

Thanks.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri May 04, 2007 2:30 pm

How do you use it all?

Well, that's easy. Take the components that you need most. The computer, the monitor, the mouse, etc. The external hard drive, scanner, joy sticks, c-lab dongle, etc are not needed yet. Connect everything to the correct ports (they are labelled) Now, put a floppy in the main drive and turn it on.

If you plugged it in, it should boot within a few seconds. All of the other stuff can be added when you need it. Drives and scanners need drivers, which you will need to figure out as you need them.

I know, this post is basically useless and completely obvious. Most of your questions that you may have can be answered by searching the forum or the Wiki. If you have more specific questions, then ask in the appropriate sub-forum here.

Good luck, enjoy your new Atari.

dr. plato
Atarian
Atarian

Postby dr. plato » Sat May 05, 2007 3:13 am

So just a sec, first I have to plug everything in to use it right? Ok, got it.... :roll:

I don't mean that kind of guidance, here's a specific. I checked the HD in the other machine, it's an old 70MB drive, I've got the SCSI hooked up to hard drive plug on the atari with the ICD cable. How do I use it? I can't see any floppydisk or anything for booting it on startup which I figured it would need. Nothing happens with it on and running, would another folder appear on the GUI desktop for it as a hard drive? I checked all my disks, and I am pretty sure I have all I need because the guy gave me everything he had (Leisure Suit Larry 3 even!!! Brought me back)

Also I got Notator/Creator with it, but I want to run Cubase on it. How do you get things onto floppies for it? That's why I mentioned having floppies and a PC before. Can I use the C-Labs dongle with Cubase for 4 MIDI ports, or only with the C-Labs software.

What are some must-have apps for it? I don't think I have the system disk that adds more options/settings for the system that is mentioned in the manual. Like all systems there are countless little things for it and I don't have so much time to sort through atari disks and mags for info and just looking for any cool little things or essential stuff.

I've heard it's only worth it to run trackers on other ST machines that have memory, but am I able to do the same thing with the SCSI drive and HD? I am an old tracker from Amiga/IBM back in the day and want to check out with this machine has to offer for that aswell as the MIDI capabilities.

Thanks for the general quick reply and hope to hear more about this machine. So far I am lovin it!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat May 05, 2007 4:29 am

I've never had an Atari HD, but I think you just need to go to the "Install icon" in the Options menu on the GEM desktop, then type 'C' (capital!) and that'll allow you to see the HD?
tá'n poc ar buile!

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sat May 05, 2007 7:17 am

Switch on the external drive first and wait until the access light goes off. Then start the Atari. If done the wrong way round the Atari won't see the drive when it boots up.

ppera

Postby ppera » Sat May 05, 2007 12:41 pm

Mega STE internal hard disks usually need some time for spin-up and beeing ready. It may be up to 30 secs.
And you should see some short text while hard disk driver loads and mounts partitions.
Icon for C drive must appear on Desktop in any case.
If you don't see any from above mentioned, there is some problem - maybe just need to reinstall hard disk driver, but may be some component failure.
Not simple for beginner.

Of course, it can boot from external drive too. And is possible that internal drive is removed. It's even worth to open it (only 1 screw under right, smaller reactangle), and detach internal drive (it can block external one).

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Sat May 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Hoi ppera,

Mste has an internal HD. Mega ST has not.

If drive C is not shown after the startup sequense, then I suggest you use an external program like Hddriver, or you can download ICD drivers from the net. Hddriver-demo can also be downloaded freely. In attachement you get the ICD driver. Found at http://www.icd.com/atari/

You can boot you system, as explained above, and check with the above programs if they 'see' you HD. You can use for that IDCHECK.PRG (included in the above package).

If yes, then you has a software problem, and with the external driver you can probably access the HD. If it don't show the HD, may-by you get an Hardware problem.

But you don't need ICD drivers for your ICD adapter. As example, I use Hddriver together with my ICD adapter. You can use others too.

Normally when the Atari HD is correct installed, the boot-up goes automaticely. It don't need any handling.

If you download some stuff from a Pc, and put it on a diskette, you must consider that the Mst has a DD floppy drive, and if you use winXP, it gives problems to access DD diskettes. I use always linux for access my diskdrive with DD diskettes.

Regards,

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 pm

dr. plato wrote:So just a sec, first I have to plug everything in to use it right? Ok, got it.... :roll:

I was being a sarcastic bastard because you didn't ask any specific questions.

But it does seem like you've got a bit of problem there with your drive.

Social Media

Return to “Website Discussions”