Do you think the limitation to RE-edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Do you think the limitation to RE-edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Yes.
50%
No.
50%

Total votes: 34

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Last edited by Atarieterno on Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Do you think the limitation to edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Postby calimero » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:12 pm

What limitation?

EDIT:
to replay to myself while I still can: :)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37563
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Do you think the limitation to edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Postby Cyprian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm

currently it is 6 hours, requested is change to 24 hours: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37563&p=384198#p384174
Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:00 am

The QUESTION is wrong !!
You NEED to re-edit it to use the word RE-EDIT instead of edit.
Because you can always edit a post but can only re-edit it up till after 6-hour.

Man... i hope your 6 hours is not up yet :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am

wongck wrote:The QUESTION is wrong !!
Because you can always edit a post but can only re-edit it up till after 6-hour.

RE-edited! Tomorrow I could not have done it.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:00 am

Atarieterno wrote:
wongck wrote:The QUESTION is wrong !!

RE-edited! Tomorrow I could not have done it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: good for you !!!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Do you think the limitation to RE-edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Postby dbsys » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:13 am

I voted for NO.

And it was completely inappropriate to introduce this significant change without communicating it.

Sorry guys, this is a no-go.

Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Do you think the limitation to RE-edit the messages in Atari-forum is appropriate?

Postby 607 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:45 am

I voted 'No' before reading the new posts in the other topic... oops. I'd probably vote 'Yes' now, after finally reading an explanation. :P

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:45 am

I think there should be also the third option in this pool:
- Yes, its appriopriate, especially when done in the atari-forum.com style, which means that its done to prevent something what probably was not noticed by anyone and what is done quietly by not informing forum peasants.

catmando
Atari God
Atari God

Postby catmando » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:59 am

The question should be clearer:

Should posts have a time limit to allow corrections and/or updates YES/NO
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm

I agree, I had to read that question multiple times to decide whether YES or NO is what I want to express ;-)

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:12 pm

Wow even the poll has a time limit! :shrug:
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Is there a "plugin" that will show history of each edited message?

I think that will solve the problem.
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:51 pm

catmando wrote:The question should be clearer:

Should posts have a time limit to allow corrections and/or updates YES/NO

Surely the question can be formulated in many ways, but anyway other participants have published the link to the discussion and there is all the extended information.

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:53 pm

cb wrote:Wow even the poll has a time limit! :shrug:

It's normal, polls have a time limit or it wouldn't be a poll: it would be a discussion forum. :cheers:

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Is there any national or international legislation for the "right to be forgotten", that is, if a user decides to end their participation in a discussion forum and asks the forum administrators that all their interventions be eliminated.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Atarieterno wrote:Is there any national or international legislation for the "right to be forgotten", that is, if a user decides to end their participation in a discussion forum and asks the forum administrators that all their interventions be eliminated.

There is. And - at least in theory - it's the same for whole Europe (EU, that is, so it might well be it will apply to this forum until end of the month only).

You have the right to request removal of all your posts (or more exact: the elimination of all information that connects your statements/opinions to your personal data, including pictures of yourself you might have posted). Strictly speaking, you can't request removal of anything you have ever written in a forum, but you can request removal of your personal data (user names, email address and everything you have ever posted that connects your post to your person). This does not give you the right to freely edit/modify your older posts, however. And not necessarily the right to request removal of all your posts.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 pm

cb wrote:Wow even the poll has a time limit! :shrug:

A poll with a time limit of only 6 hours is just useless.

:?

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:17 pm

mfro wrote:
Atarieterno wrote:Is there any national or international legislation for the "right to be forgotten", that is, if a user decides to end their participation in a discussion forum and asks the forum administrators that all their interventions be eliminated.

There is. And - at least in theory - it's the same for whole Europe (EU, that is, so it might well be it will apply to this forum until end of the month only).

You have the right to request removal of all your posts (or more exact: the elimination of all information that connects your statements/opinions to your personal data, including pictures of yourself you might have posted). Strictly speaking, you can't request removal of anything you have ever written in a forum, but you can request removal of your personal data (user names, email address and everything you have ever posted that connects your post to your person). This does not give you the right to freely edit/modify your older posts, however. And not necessarily the right to request removal of all your posts.

Everything is relative, a good lawyer and attending to intellectual law, feelings and things like that ... could force them to eliminate comments and even ask for compensation, never give anything for impossible! But that is not the question, what I want to say is that the author of a writing must be the sole owner of his words and should not be limited by the administrators: they can be accepted or eliminated according to the rules of coexistence in the forum , but not limited or modified by third parties. That's my opinion.
Regards.

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:01 am

It would be very interesting to be able to verify that people agree with the limitation to re-edit messages, they are the ones who least posts contribute, only then can I understand that someone wants to be tied with a chain, even if the chain is gold.
Bad move, administrators who do not care for their participants, and other users who act only to oppose those who claim to continue with the freedom they have had for years and that has not produced any problems. A preventive cure is not admissible, it is considered guilty preventively. I never imagined that the decline of Atari-forum would be originated by its own administrators and just over a dozen users who support it, a worrying number for what was once the most important forum of our little community.

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:18 am

One day someone will create a survey in this forum asking which retro computer is the one he likes most among several options, and of course anything will be chosen except Atari...
We are "different", worthy children of the Atari company, we carry their suicide DNA. :shrug:

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Less drama and prose, more quality Atari posts.

(voted yes because in the long run it really doesn't matter)
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Who appointed you as a jury to rate the quality of the publications?

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Rest assured that a lot of people can't wait for another post in such essential and classic threads as "Atari clothing and accessories", or locked polls that get shot down in a blink of the eye, or dust cover threads, or selling random midi hardware.

In fact, they're so flabbergasted by the quality they actually forget to post in this forum - say, for a few decades! And people whine about the decline of forums!
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:49 pm

ggn wrote:Rest assured that a lot of people can't wait for another post in such essential and classic threads as "Atari clothing and accessories", or locked polls that get shot down in a blink of the eye, or dust cover threads, or selling random midi hardware.

In fact, they're so flabbergasted by the quality they actually forget to post in this forum - say, for a few decades! And people whine about the decline of forums!

What I publish are things that all Atari users can use (the offensive ones like you too), instead a specific GFA post and discussions about the sex of angels (to finally not create any program for Atari in the century XXI) are not available to anyone, but perhaps that is what you would like: post inbred and exclusive.
However, my publications are also counted by thousands of visits, we may have to check yours.
Certainly there will always be the dog of the gardener, who does not eat or let others eat. If you don't like my posts, you have the option to block me and not read me, but don't touch my balls, OK?

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”