New Joystick Introduction!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

blaster
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 am

New Joystick Introduction!

Postby blaster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 am

Hi guys!

I and my friend decided to bring something new to you. The joystick. But we need some feedback before it.

Description:
We decided to find out a way how to make new Atari Joysticks and similar joysticks with 3D printer. We try to have as similar as possible construction for the same impression of playing games like the original old joysticks. But we have one thing in our construction different. Our Stick will be exchangeable and modulable. We will have more types of sticks and you can choose what type you want. Sticks will have different shape, size etc.

Our questions are:
  1. Is this idea interesting for you?
  2. Are you looking for some new joystick because your old was damaged?
  3. What types of sticks do you prefer? What joysticks do you like? What was your favourite joystick in 80/90's? ( CX40, QuickShot etc. )
  4. Would you like exchangeable stick at your joystick ( when you will get tired of the old type of stick you can simply change it for another one ) or you'd rather buy another new joystick when you want to exchange the stick?
  5. Is the autofire function important for you?
  6. How long stick's movement do you prefer? ( short movement is like pressing a small button, long movement is like pressing a key on your keyboard )
  7. Do you like an idea that you can buy only the 3D data for your 3D printer and make it for your own?
  8. Do you have some tips why this idea doesn't make sense? For example you can buy really new QuickShot on Ebay etc.

Progress:
We started when summer holidays of 2019 begins. You can see the first version on this picture which was done about month and half ago.
render1_old.png

On the another pictures you can see actual and maybe final version of joystick's base. We have already made exchangeable sticks too but we will publish them as present for you after some more feedbacks.
render2_new.png
render3_new.png

Thank you for your time, sharing and answers!

Best regards,
EnJoyStick Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Spain

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 pm

blaster wrote:Hi guys!

I and my friend decided to bring something new to you. The joystick. But we need some feedback before it.

Description:
We decided to find out a way how to make new Atari Joysticks and similar joysticks with 3D printer. We try to have as similar as possible construction for the same impression of playing games like the original old joysticks. But we have one thing in our construction different. Our Stick will be exchangeable and modulable. We will have more types of sticks and you can choose what type you want. Sticks will have different shape, size etc.

Our questions are:
  1. Is this idea interesting for you?
  2. Are you looking for some new joystick because your old was damaged?
  3. What types of sticks do you prefer? What joysticks do you like? What was your favourite joystick in 80/90's? ( CX40, QuickShot etc. )
  4. Would you like exchangeable stick at your joystick ( when you will get tired of the old type of stick you can simply change it for another one ) or you'd rather buy another new joystick when you want to exchange the stick?
  5. Is the autofire function important for you?
  6. How long stick's movement do you prefer? ( short movement is like pressing a small button, long movement is like pressing a key on your keyboard )
  7. Do you like an idea that you can buy only the 3D data for your 3D printer and make it for your own?
  8. Do you have some tips why this idea doesn't make sense? For example you can buy really new QuickShot on Ebay etc.

Progress:
We started when summer holidays of 2019 begins. You can see the first version on this picture which was done about month and half ago.
render1_old.png
On the another pictures you can see actual and maybe final version of joystick's base. We have already made exchangeable sticks too but we will publish them as present for you after some more feedbacks.
render2_new.pngrender3_new.png
Thank you for your time, sharing and answers!

Best regards,
EnJoyStick Team



I will give my opinion: I would like two new joysticks, one that corresponds to the retro aesthetic (Atari in this case) and another that is truly ergonomic (PlayStation type) and that includes an auto-fire button; I would buy both if its price is reasonable, for other prices there are already alternative joysticks.
Greetings and congratulations on the initiative, it is always something admirable in this stressed world, without time for creativity and without kindness to give a simple "like" to the effort of the people.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

tjam
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 pm
Location: Finland

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby tjam » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Atarieterno wrote:I will give my opinion: I would like two new joysticks, one that corresponds to the retro aesthetic (Atari in this case) and another that is truly ergonomic (PlayStation type) and that includes an auto-fire button; I would buy both if its price is reasonable, for other prices there are already alternative joysticks.
Greetings and congratulations on the initiative, it is always something admirable in this stressed world, without time for creativity and without kindness to give a simple "like" to the effort of the people.


There's PS style joypads already available for Atari and Amiga. Amigastore.eu sells couple of different versions of it; here's one with autofire:
https://amigastore.eu/en/380-joypad-boomerang-b103.html

User avatar
Atarieterno
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm
Location: Spain

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:51 pm

tjam wrote:There's PS style joypads already available for Atari and Amiga. Amigastore.eu sells couple of different versions of it; here's one with autofire:
https://amigastore.eu/en/380-joypad-boomerang-b103.html



Yes, but those are generic joysticks, maybe with these guys who want to make new joysticks they can launch a custom run, with specific Atari aesthetics (for example as the Ataribox that does not arrive). That's what I mean.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

User avatar
christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:24 pm
Location: Greece
Contact:

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby christos » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm

tjam wrote:
Atarieterno wrote:I will give my opinion: I would like two new joysticks, one that corresponds to the retro aesthetic (Atari in this case) and another that is truly ergonomic (PlayStation type) and that includes an auto-fire button; I would buy both if its price is reasonable, for other prices there are already alternative joysticks.
Greetings and congratulations on the initiative, it is always something admirable in this stressed world, without time for creativity and without kindness to give a simple "like" to the effort of the people.


There's PS style joypads already available for Atari and Amiga. Amigastore.eu sells couple of different versions of it; here's one with autofire:
https://amigastore.eu/en/380-joypad-boomerang-b103.html


Actually, making an adapter for PS2 joypads is very easy as well.

Also, you can buy classic atari like joysticks on Aliexpress for about 10 euros.

In the original question, I would find arcade style controllers interesting (if the price is right). However there will have to be an option for the stick to be on the right hand and not on the left. My favourite design is the QJ sv131 but other joystick like those that were made here in Greece, were quite cool (and much stronger) as well.

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5205
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm

I would be interested in an Arcade style sturdy joystick with the stick on the right or properly centered under the buttons.
I'm otherwise a user of the classic Competition Pro.

In general, I prefer round stick with buttons on the top of the base over pistol grip designs. The latter makes sense for analogue flight sticks IMHO.

Interesting project idea in general.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

User avatar
Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm
Location: France

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby Sturm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:22 pm

Interesting !
An absolute killer feature would be to be able to jump using the second button, instead of pushing the joystick upwards. That would make platformers much more enjoyable !

blaster
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 am

Re: New Joystick Introduction!

Postby blaster » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for your feedbacks!

Use second button for jumping is really cool idea! We'll think about it :) .


Social Media

     

Return to “News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests