FX68K Cycle accurate 68000 core

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Smonson
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: FX68K Cycle accurate 68000 core

Postby Smonson » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 am

Congratulations Ijor. This completed project surely represents a vast amount of work.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:05 am

ijor wrote:I plan to port FX CAST (see viewtopic.php?f=117&t=34555&start=75) to the MiST. And, of course, MasterOfGizmo is more than welcome to use FX68K on his own ST core if he wants. But there is a trade off, TG68K might be better for STeroids mode.

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but wanted to ask how accurate the rest of the modules in the core are?

Tills own ST core runs many games, but fails on a number of demos, I'm curious as to how much of that incompatibility is down to CPU timings, and how much could be bugs in the implementation of the other components?

Anyhow ijor, it looks like you've done an amazing job. I can't wait to see the MiST version and test out The Cuddly Demos.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 pm

If you remove the cycle exact accuracy of the FX CAST core, it runs at about 60MHz on the Replay board. :)
I am the flux ninja

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Does that mean that FX CAST comes with the same license as the other replay cores which doesn't allow it to be run on anything but replay hardware?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:Does that mean that FX CAST comes with the same license as the other replay cores which doesn't allow it to be run on anything but replay hardware?

Of course not. It will certainly be free to be used on MiST, Replay, or any other system for that matter.

Jim probably meant FX68K (the 68000 part of the core only), and not FX CAST. Mike is experimenting with FX68K and his own Amiga core, and I assume that's what Jim is referring. And regarding the FX68K, you already seen that it was released with a GPL license.

Edit: Not sure why you assumed I would restrict my own work to the Replay Board. I have an excellent relation with Mike, but that's all, we don't have any commercial relation whatsoever.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:19 am

Yes, I was referring to the 68K core. However, Mike's cores are certainly not limited to the Replay. You will find them in everything from MiST to Papillio sample projects - but I am guessing that you already know that.
I am the flux ninja

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Imho there were 3rd party cores for the replay that had such a restriction.

Anyway, making it open source sure will make it a success.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”