Paul Woakes

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Paul Woakes

Postby Symoon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am

Sad news, I don't think I've seen it on the forum: learnt a few days ago that games author Paul Woakes died in July 2017.

He was co-founder of Novagen, and published Mercenary, Damocles, Backlash, Encounter, ...
:cry:

chicane
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Paul Woakes

Postby chicane » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 am

Very sad news - the guy was a genius. I never "encountered" the earlier games, but Damocles was so far ahead of its time.

I think much of the retrogaming community was holding onto the hope of getting an interview with him some day, but I get the impression that he was media shy and perhaps not particularly interested in discussing his earlier works.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:09 am

Yeah, I heard about this a few days ago on Twatter.

Damocles was absolutely amazing.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 am

A very sad news.
Rest in peace, we lose another genius of the bits.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 am

I had no idea! Very sad news! RIP Mr Woakes! I had actually been considering to try and find him and conduct an interview with him, but that will sadly never happen now :(

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 am

I was just saying I lost most of the summer of 1990 (or was it 1991) playing Damocles. Totally immersed. Looking back the worlds were very "empty" but at the time I was transfixed.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 am

I think I only ever played the demo of Damocles. I think there was a time limit or something, otherwise you were free to explore the world. I was amazed by the fact I could fly from planet to planet and explore it in its entirety! It also made me so exited about the future of the gaming industry and trying to imagine what would be possible on more powerful future machines! Truly ahead of its time ....

alexh wrote:I was just saying I lost most of the summer of 1990 (or was it 1991) playing Damocles. Totally immersed. Looking back the worlds were very "empty" but at the time I was transfixed.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am

Oh man, thats sad. I was only just reliving my Mercenary (on the speccy) memories a couple of weeks back. Seriously that game was amazing. Damocles was good too - very impressive. What a genius programmer - should be as well known as Braben & Bell.

The guy needs an epitaph, from Benson.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

joefish
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby joefish » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 pm

Shame. Damocles was an incredible achievement.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

I have good memories from Backlash too, even when I run it nowadays, it has some kind of purity in its design, almost mesmerizing. It was also a very fast paced shoot em up, really very innovative concept IMO for its time.
Really a great figure of the video game industry.

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:17 pm

I think when we hear about great game designer and developers like this leave us..it really is down to the impression they leave as their legacy is what makes their memory more valuable to us old school gamer whom lived the period they reign with their incredible software and Paul Woakes is one of those unsung heroes of computer video game entertainment and although shy was a possible testimonial to why he never or needed to be interviewed , it was all said in his games.

R.I.P. to him for he's games will live on through all of us here.
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 am

Sad news. A very talented developer. RIP

Symoon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Symoon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:17 am

I first played Mercenary when I was a kid, with a pirate copy, and found it good but boring once all the buildings were destroyed!
Until I understood there was much more than this, and finally found how to get inside the underground complex. I got hooked, played all the sequels like crazy and decided, by playing Mercenary III, to start a website about it.
I got in touch with many former Novagen employees and all were incredibly friendly.

I am sad there was no more sequels, and no more games like these, with total freedom, multiple ways to win, and humour.
BTW I now own multiple legal copies! ;)

mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:47 am

Im sorry to hear this. :(

Much has been said already about Mercenary and Damocles.

I did purchase Mercenary but never got into it.

However, when I do get time to get out a C64 and have a blast, one of my all time classic greats is Encounter. The atmosphere is electric!

Its like Tennis or Football; It just doesnt seem to age at all. Infact, the 3D engine was just so quick that it was a joy to play. I know it was because there wasnt much to display, but still...its a great game!

If you can make a simple classic like this, then more power to you I say! ;)

R.I.P. Paul Woakes

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”