Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: EmuTOS 0.9.9

Postby wongck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm

as in add back the stuff that was missed out
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:26 pm

call it whatever you want it to be.... add back, include new, add new include back.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:02 pm

wongck wrote:Ah yes, thank you for clarification.
This just means that NEWTOS or what you call EMUTOS is not compatible because new stuff is needed to support an hack that was working in old TOS.

AtariZoll is demanding a fix for his problem, but because he's relying in undocumented side-effect, he's run into a wall. An OS needs to work for all programs, not just for the mistake AtariZoll did, and nobody knows whether adding a sloppy fix to EmuTOS for his problem, would break something else.

(Mistake here is trying to be "clever", instead of doing the smart / correct thing. Correct thing would be to follow documentation, and when good official documentation is missing, like in this case, smart thing is to do what most other (well working) programs are doing. AtariZoll didn't.)

Thorsten already looked enough into that, to see that the given functionality on different TOS versions has different outcomes than what AtariZoll requested, in situations different from what AtariZoll is using. Although AtariZoll doesn't care about those other situations, an OS must.

So far, AtariZoll hasn't provided any examples of any other code doing the same mistake as he did. Such examples would be more compelling evidence that it's actually not a mistake on his part, but "standard" practice on Atari side, and therefore something that EmuTOS should try to support.

It doesn't help that after AtariZoll noticed his mistake, his request for fixing the issue on EmuTOS side started with insults when more information was needed. It's not a best way to ask for favors. This seems common pattern for AtariZoll. First he insults people, then he complains when they start to return that particular favor and don't do what he asks. Even weirder is that he's claimed that he thinks himself to be polite (many mails are, but the insults always seem to start on AtariZoll side, if few threads I've participated are anything to go by). Without the insults, EmuTOS devs might have been more amendable for trying to find a way to fix things just for him.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:20 pm

wongck wrote:call it whatever you want it to be.... add back, include new, add new include back.

Hey, even AtariZoll already stated that only problem with his loaders is that one needs to move mouse instead of pressing a key with EmuTOS. That's not that serious, you surely have a mouse connected to your Atari, don't you?

Btw. The keyboard problem in Reservoir Gods' Falcon games is more serious, but Vincent has provided a hack program for that too, so that they can be used with EmuTOS, as you can see from EmuTOS "incompatible.txt" file.

(There are so many broken programs, that are broken in so many different ways, that there's no point in trying to be compatible to all of them. If you really need to use things that are broken, use that specific TOS version with which it happens to work. Or use a version of it where that issue is fixed, or code a small hack program that fixes that particular program, or ask somebody else to do that.)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

The Emutos team did an amazing job and released great software with many great features that is supported on many platforms.

BTW, I think when the screen says "hit a key to continue", only pure Millennials will move the move the mouse (or touch the screen), as they are so used to their phones/tablets and not used to kbd. LOL... :lol:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 pm

wongck wrote:BTW, I think when the screen says "hit a key to continue", only pure Millennials will move the move the mouse (or touch the screen), as they are so used to their phones/tablets and not used to kbd. LOL... :lol:

Oh, the loader doesn't say anything mouse? Ok, then it's a bit harder to discover... :-)

(I haven't used AtariZoll's loaders myself. As you were promoting the hacking around the issue, could you check that mouse will also work, or did I misunderstand what AtariZoll meant?)

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:42 pm

New video! See there how to try EmuTOS PRG on your real hardware. French speak, English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tfj6WDOtsA
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”