new Nova drivers

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: new Nova drivers

Postby wongck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

dimfil wrote:a) Visit this place and download the complete package. It doesn't matter that it says TT. Just download the VME8 package.

That's my site being ripped... well Ok backed up... by Bug. My current site is here. Contents for the Nova are the same.

New PHSW programs can be found at my site as well.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 pm

wongck wrote:
dimfil wrote:a) Visit this place and download the complete package. It doesn't matter that it says TT. Just download the VME8 package.

That's my site being ripped... well Ok backed up... by Bug. My current site is here. Contents for the Nova are the same.

New PHSW programs can be found at my site as well.

My bad...
I don't know how I ended up linking to your old site! I already have bookmarked your new as I have used your MINT guide...

By the way, your package was of great help! Thank you so much for this!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm

It was Gerhard Huber, the creator of Nova card, whom gave them to me when I can't get mine to work years ago.
We thank him for it !!

And thank you for trying out my Mint guide. I hope it can help get more users to understand and use Mint.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:19 am

OK, so I had it installed, I did basically what you said, I really only needed the .acc out of the VME_8 pkg. BUT....

I have only been able to get 1 resolution to work. 1024-768x256.. and if I try and access the floppy drive I get 4 bombs and lockup. If I access HDD no issues. Also not sure how to install NVDI5 with this.. do I install as if this was not there.. then let the Idek drivers do the work?

Any idea?

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:23 am

I don't know about the floppy. I did not have such problems whith the vme adapter and I have no idea how it would interfere and cause such problems. Are you sure you did not have this before installing the adapter?

For the resolutions, as I already mentioned, you need to tweak the pixel frequence with the VMG.PRG for the options that do not work for you. You need to know about these details from your monitor's manual for help.
I will attach two different sta_vdi.bib files for you to test. The first one is a more generic and not all resolutions work for me either (none of 16 colors) and the second is tweaked by me for my monitor especially and all included resolutions work. Just try and check, but I repeat, most probably you will need to use vmg.prg for best results...

STA_VDI_1.zip

STA_VDI_2.zip

As far as the NVDI is concerned, I installed it checking the "NOVA" option during installation and checked the GDOS option selecting nvdi.prg in xmenu. Everything works OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:55 am

Bikerbob wrote: Also not sure how to install NVDI5 with this.. do I install as if this was not there.. then let the Idek drivers do the work?

Any idea?

NVDI5 installer will ask you about graphics card. You have three selection, 1st is Atari onboard graphics, 2nd is ET4000, 3rd is other, like Nova, Matrix, etc.

It's simple to decide.

1024x768x256 is the best you can get with 1 MB NOVA card.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:00 am

Thank you Idek , wongck and dimfil

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 pm

thanks dimfil, I did the et4000 install and that broke the install, so I will try the nova. 1st1 I am not hoping for more, just ones that work, like dimfil suggested. I am using a NEC 1970vx monitor, so I dont have to worry about damage, just out of range or not usable. I am going to assume there is no VMG in english?

I have a question about all this software in German, if I wanted to translate? I am assuming I would need sources to change and then recompile?

I would not mind contributing, just not sure how?

As for the floppy, no.. it is the drivers interaction somehow I am loading .. or with whatever option?? with the vme in with the video card attached but no drivers present the machine works perferct.. I can run floppy based games, I can run my standard desktop, no issues. when the video card is in use.. double click on A drive.. 4 bombs and lockup.

James

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:29 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Thank you Idek , wongck and dimfil

you're welcome

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Thank you Idek , wongck and dimfil

You are welcome...
Me, myself, was in the same position some time ago. Knowledge is to be spread!

Bikerbob wrote:thanks dimfil, I did the et4000 install and that broke the install, so I will try the nova. 1st1 I am not hoping for more, just ones that work, like dimfil suggested. I am using a NEC 1970vx monitor, so I dont have to worry about damage, just out of range or not usable. I am going to assume there is no VMG in english?

I have a question about all this software in German, if I wanted to translate? I am assuming I would need sources to change and then recompile?

I would not mind contributing, just not sure how?

As for the floppy, no.. it is the drivers interaction somehow I am loading .. or with whatever option?? with the vme in with the video card attached but no drivers present the machine works perferct.. I can run floppy based games, I can run my standard desktop, no issues. when the video card is in use.. double click on A drive.. 4 bombs and lockup.

James

Yes, ET4000 install is not the correct one. It can be, but it needs "special tweaking" and Frank can help you with that. But, according to his advise, it is to be avoided...
Your card is ET4000 but the most important is the adapter, that's why you should choose NOVA. NOVA adapter came with some different options of Graphic cards and with Frank's adapter you can also use other cards too...
Just do the install and choose Nova card. Then the drivers will do their job...

I couldn not find vmg.prg in english language. But it is quite ease to use (after some Google Translate work) and mostly the thing you have to change and test is Pixel Frequence (easy to find on the right of the window). If you want, use Interface app to alter the resource file and translate words to english. I was planning to do so, but at the end I decided there was no really need to do it...

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Well, if someone translates that German utility, please share it here.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Yeah, I mean I could learn what each thing is etc. but I have been thinking that I am not a great programmer, and I cannot create new hardware stuff.. though I love doing the mods or addons etc.. BUT if I knew how I could take german programs and make english versions.. and at least that would be helping.

James

piotrk
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby piotrk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:55 am

Hi @Idek Tramielsk!

I have a new problem/challenge to solve. I have NOVA adapter with ATI Mach 32, your drivers, Atari MSTE and original Cubase 3 and Score 2.06 with red cartridge dongle. Cubase works and not hanging after start.. But after a random while (3-4 minutes) MIDI music plays and keyboards works but screen is off.

Any clue?

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:23 am

Atarieterno wrote:Well, if someone translates that German utility, please share it here.

Bikerbob wrote:Yeah, I mean I could learn what each thing is etc. but I have been thinking that I am not a great programmer, and I cannot create new hardware stuff.. though I love doing the mods or addons etc.. BUT if I knew how I could take german programs and make english versions.. and at least that would be helping.

James

OK.
Here is a first and quite draft attempt. Just make a backup of the existing vmg.rsc (just in case...) and then use the attached one instead.
I did not "discover the wheel" again, I just used Interface to edit the resource file.

VMG_RSC_EN.zip

grab0001.png

grab0002.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:19 pm

dimfil wrote:OK.
Here is a first and quite draft attempt. Just make a backup of the existing vmg.rsc (just in case...) and then use the attached one instead.
I did not "discover the wheel" again, I just used Interface to edit the resource file.

VMG_RSC_EN.zip

Thanks for your contribution.
One question: double negative polarity? (negativ - negativ).

Greetings.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

dimfil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby dimfil » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Atarieterno wrote: Thanks for your contribution.
One question: double negative polarity? (negativ - negativ).

Greetings.

Yes. It is either enabled or not, one for horizontal and one for vertical...

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:32 pm

fantastic, I want to do that to about a dozen programs. :) anyway.

I need to figure out why my machine is crashing on floppy access, or all of this is for not for me.

James

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:45 pm

OK... So I have it running again. It was the ET4000 install that screwed it up.

I did the NOVA install, everything seems fine.. except. In xmenu - where it asks me for GDOS name - it gives me a selection and I choose NVDI.. it then goes and changes NVDI every time I load to a .PR not a .PRG and it does not load???? I do not understand that.

Do I use the GDOS format selection? instead of Nova? Also everytime I boot it loads the xmenu. is there a way to just ask for the key strike to load like menu did?

James

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:52 pm

XMENU Steuerung -> Tastenkombination -> 5 or 3 sec.

Ausgabeart -> NOVA

no selection about GDOS
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Hmmm.. the only way I could get it to use the NVDI was to select GDOS with NOVA.. BUT - it now will ignore the resolution!! :(

No GDOS - resolutions.. GDOS (NVDI) no resolutions... I assume this is not supposed to happen?

James
Last edited by Bikerbob on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Install NVDI5 with the Option NOVA. NVDI works than only as GDOS. Thats the only way and ignore the GDOS dialog in xmenu ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I did that.. but if I run systeminfo.. it says no GDOS installed.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Cancel the things in the GDOS Dialog (no GDOS) in xmenu ...

Run nvdi.prg from your autofolder.

Bikerbob
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:09 pm

I appreciate your help frank, but I have been doing that.. If NVDI runs.. I get no resolutions that were set in the drivers.. depending on which one I pick.. I might get 640 x 480 x 2 or some messed up one.. x 2 but none with colour.

I can post a video if that will help. It is running just as you said.. option a - no gdos program in xmenu.

James

fenarinarsa
Atari User
Atari User

Postby fenarinarsa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 pm

May I ask how are the drivers generated? Are the sources available somewhere? I can't find anything, only some raw documentation of the ET4000 chipset.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”