Pirate software for sale on EBay .. .Dont buy

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Pirate software for sale on EBay .. .Dont buy

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu May 21, 2015 4:17 pm

There is a shop selling counterfeit stuff with the original boxes.. i mean compilation menus as well, not even slightly geniune..

He's selling them for top prices as well.
Avoid now.

If he's geniune then he'd just sell the box and instructions, if it was a mistake it wouldnt occur all over his shop ;)

Comp menus should be FREE not sold on ebay by some....

how do I put it ..

Profiteering glutton :P

retro-gamer--uk
-- This is the offender --

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pirate software for sale on EBay .. .Dont buy

Postby Dal » Thu May 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Can you back this up? I scanned through his items and they look ok to me.

We have a forum member of the same name. If it's the same guy, I know him to be a straight up person who has contributed well to the community.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Golf ... 43dcb8386f

Lol, even a double header :P menu style...

A genuine copy can be found here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-GOLF ... 3cf8d4d69c

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu May 21, 2015 4:38 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Formula-1-Gra ... 43dcb83868

Lol, the sticker covers something else on this one...?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

I'll admit he probably should be selling this as the box and manual with a replacement (non original) disk. But most of what I see in his items appear to be genuine.

It does raise an interesting point though. Where disks become corrupt as they age, what is wrong with a seller writing the game back to the original disk or providing a backup copy on a fresh disk?

Clearly it's not always possible to write the original game disk data due to copy protection / mouldy disk / not having the original dump / no Kryoflux or similar. What constitutes the software licence in this case? If it's the original box and manual; then supplying a backup or re-manufactured disk should be ok so long as the description and images make it clear what you're getting.

In RG-UK's defence, he hasn't hidden the disk away from the pictures, you can clearly see what you're paying your £3 for. I see other items with proper silkscreened original disks are priced higher - so, short of not explicitly saying in the description, I can't really see much of an issue here.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Thu May 21, 2015 4:55 pm

The issue is that Pirate software, especially menu disks or multi-game disks are and have always been FREE ...

The pirates have always said this should be free...

It does raise an interesting point though. Where disks become corrupt as they age, what is wrong with a seller writing the game back to the original disk or providing a backup copy on a fresh disk?

So why not provide the original as well, saying, its corrupted and unuseable?

In RG-UK's defence, he hasn't hidden the disk away from the pictures, you can clearly see what you're paying your £3 for

Im sorry but that equates to his defence selling blatant, obvious piracy being ok?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this but fair enough, he does sell oriignal software. I have a niggling feeling he doesnt have the originals and doesnt want to sell, 'just the box and manual' ...

Maybe, if it is the same person, you can direct him here to state his case?

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu May 21, 2015 7:41 pm

I think the only "valuable" contents in this are the box and the manual. A blue floppy is a floppy. Does it look better on the screen when the floppy is genuine? For the same (low) price, I'd prefer to get a manual and a box rather than the floppy.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Thu May 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Is it proved that those disks contain compilation menus?
It is not uncommon that disks use stickers instead of silkscreening... but since those two examples use the same font on the stickers and comes from different publishers so does it make them suspicious... but i can't be sure :shrug:
The Ultimte Golf box have the same sticker as the disk if you look at the boxes side.
And the Formula disk look like it hides a Tynesoft logo if you judge by the pyramide shape at the top... this is very vauge though. But after all Tynesoft is the owner of Micro Value label so it would make sense if another Tynesoft disk has been re-used.

And here is a another Microvalue example of silkscreen and sticker labels and both are genuine:
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-formula-1-grand-prix_9370.html
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-formula-1-grand-prix_29703.html

Maybe it is best if the seller explain by himself what he know about those disks he sells... unless they really do contain compilation menus then it should of course be mentioned in the auction description.

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 pm

EstTeeEfEm wrote:The issue is that Pirate software, especially menu disks or multi-game disks are and have always been FREE ...

The pirates have always said this should be free...

Why should the pirating stop after the software has been pirated once? The second time around, the intro is pirated. The third time around the menu has been fully and properly pirated. The fourth time around is a bonus. The copyright owner is the Only one with a legal say. :contract:

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Fri May 22, 2015 8:47 am

Well, it certainly makes for interesting reading lol...

It is not uncommon that disks use stickers instead of silkscreenin

Stickers on disks are not uncommon, but if you look at something like Football manager then there are differences, at the very least the genuine stickered games contain things like dates, copyright notices, a publisher/developer not just the title...

I think the only "valuable" contents in this are the box and the manual.

My point exactly... there is no need for a seemingly (if I should use that phrase to help the topic) copied disk.

For me, if something SEEMS suspect, then it probably is :?

Why should the pirating stop after the software has been pirated once? The second time around, the intro is pirated. The third time around the menu has been fully and properly pirated. The fourth time around is a bonus. The copyright owner is the Only one with a legal say

The point being, pirates never made any money from the software they pirated... that was the whole point!? copy pass on, copy giveaway, swap chains and such...

Anyhow, thats a completely different topic lol

Maybe this is going to be a "Agree to Disagree" thread :D

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri May 22, 2015 9:31 am

EstTeeEfEm wrote:The point being, pirates never made any money from the software they pirated... that was the whole point!? copy pass on, copy giveaway, swap chains and such...

"They" most surely did. Guess why all I.C.S cracks have the address of Mr Fly on them.

/Troed, I.C.S cracker

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Fri May 22, 2015 11:23 am

On that Ultimate Golf auction... Greg Norman was known as "The Great White Shark" so that possibly explains the Shark Attack subheading making it look like two games?

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”