ST Article in this month's Retro Gamer

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

ST Article in this month's Retro Gamer

Postby English Invader » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 pm

Six page article in this month's issue (#140) in honour of the ST's 30th anniversary which seems to have been forgotten in all the hype for the Amiga's 30th.

Will comment more when I've had a chance to read the article in more depth.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ST Article in this month's Retro Gamer

Postby AtariCrypt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm

Excellent. I'll have to grab this. Thanks :D
Steve

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:00 pm

I have to confess I thought it was a terrible article. Random choice of games and nothing new or insightful in the content at all. A real wasted opportunity.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:22 pm

rich wrote:I have to confess I thought it was a terrible article. Random choice of games and nothing new or insightful in the content at all. A real wasted opportunity.

Agree, I got the impression the reviewer didn't really know the machine/platform that well (they probably experienced the machine in it's early years but had little knowledge of its final years and the limits that were squeezed out of it - hence none of the later games like obsession, substation etc were featured.)
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:31 am

Are you talking about the same article? I bought the issue with the top #25 games - and it's not issue 140 but 143.

(AFAIK the selection was made by asking ST users for their favorites)

/Troed

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:02 pm

The reader-picked games was ok, it was the 30th Anniversary article that was a bit pants.

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:10 pm

I've read it, and there really wasn't much added that hadn't already been in the previous article. However it did state that the ST was used for more than just games like desktop publishing & music composing. But then again mentioning that was just another Tuesday for ST Format... :D

penguin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby penguin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:22 pm

Only six pages ;)? I published a ten-page article in st-computer 02/15, plus four pages showing great ST games (two page each for mono and color games).

Some people might disagree with my selection. I picked games which were either fun to play, defined ST gaming, were technical master pieces or just controversial. Silent Service is on that list because it received the shortest ever game review in a ST magazine ("even crackers should stay away from this game"). Chambers of Shaolin was shown in the main ST article as an example of a game made by members of the demo scene.

stgames.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:03 pm

excellent, and i've just checked the link in your sig.. is there an English version? TIA :)

penguin

Postby penguin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:28 pm

applecrypt wrote:excellent, and i've just checked the link in your sig.. is there an English version? TIA :)

I did translate the first one (PDF is on my site), but it's a bit too much for one person to write all the articles (although there have been a few submissions), do the layout and translate everything ;)
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Ah .. I .. See... and now I'm the most annoying person here! lol sorry
Great works :cheers:
Steve

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:10 am

For myself it was simply RG playing 'safe' yet again, so whilst it was good to see the ST getting more coverage, nothing new was really brought to the table.

I did raise an eyebrow at this comment:

'...the man responsible for much of this fortune was European Product Manager, Darryl Still'.....

No, i'm sorry but that's simply not really the way to present this.Darryl, who i've spoken to numerous times over the years in 1 form or another was a key part of the Atari UK TEAM that made the ST do so well in Europe.When i was fortunate enough to interview Darryl for ST Gamer Vol 1, he himself gave credit to others, describing Bob Gleadow as 'The hardest and most inspirational person he ever worked for' and went onto describe roles other key Atari UK people played in making the ST the hit it was.

No man is an island and Darryl, Bob, Max Bambridge, Rob Harding and many, many others i'm sure worked damn hard to establish the ST and it's third party support, worked with the press, the stores, you name it....

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:14 am

I was also under the impression that Return To Genesis 'proved' that the ST could cope with high-speed, horizontal, Parallax scrolling, this demo, was then turned into a full blown game which appearred in 1988, a few months before Star Ray on the ST?

As for featured games:

Ranarama an odd choice, espically given the comments raised by Steve Turner in the Making Of...featured in Retrogamer Magazine a few months prior (Issue 136).Steve not happy with the jerky animation, visual changes made by Hewsons John Cimming etc, but guess this was writers choice?

Trantor might have been a technical showcase on 8 Bit Amstrad CPC/Sinclair ZX Spectrum, but felt out of place on the ST.

Throw in some captions not matching screenshots and there you have it.

Nothing more, nothing less, i would of liked to have seen other Ex-Atari UK people featured, hell if i can get Les Player and i'm not a writer for Rg or a jurnolist, don't think it's asking too much for a professional publication like RG to reach a bit further....

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 am

Well i did ask for fresh ST articles from mainstream press and they, well Edge of all places has delivered :-)

This months issue (282) has 'The Making Of.......Alpha Waves Format: Atari ST'

Seems it was known as Continuum in North America ?

Anyway not a game i was personally familar with and i'd never seen Christophe De Dinechin interviewed before, so hats off to Edge for making this happen.

Just proves you can explore the ST a lot further without having to fall back on same info, same names.

More like this to come i hope... 

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”