Financially Supporting Atari Sites and Developers

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Financially Supporting Atari Sites and Developers

Postby fmh » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:13 pm

The past year I have been registering shareware and donating to most of the software projects and sites that I frequently use under Windows, Mac, and Unix. I started wondering if there was a way an individual user can contribute easily to the Atari Software Community? I am talking about being able to donate to support Atari related Web Sites, Developers, etc. Very few sites have a Donate Button or an obvious way to donate some money to them. For example donating to ARANYM, AFROS, EmuTOS, FreeMiNT, SpareMiNT, Highwire, XaAES, Hatari, (add your other favorite Atari site or software here), etc.

Reason for me wondering is that I am aware that the number of Atari Enthusiasts and developers is dwindling as the years go on. Many if not all are doing it for the love of the platform, challenge, enjoyment and obviously not the money. Hosting Sites and bandwidth isn't free. Besides saying Thank You to the Developers and Site Administrators is to give them some money so that they can continue. Obviously none will be able to quit their day job but hopefully pay part if not all of their Hosting Fees and if lucky a few Dollars or Euros left over for a cup of coffee.

Over in the MorphOS Community (Amiga Clone OS) www.meta-morphos.org/ they have a couple of Support the Developer Donation Drives a year. The first drive in 2014 netted 41 Euros per developer. www.meta-morphos.org/viewtopic.php?topic=1294&forum=62 The second drive in 2014 netted 35 Euros per developer. On these drives the developer Opts In to the program and then splits the total raised equally among the developers in that fund raising drive.

This happens to work out real well for MorphOS because the Operating System is commercial and these are Independent Developers working on individual projects. For almost all the Atari related projects currently they are Open Source and in the example of FreeMiNT about a dozen active developers. If something along the lines of this type of program would be implemented in the Atari Community then possibly Project Web Sites can be included into the Donation Pool. Another option could be that Individual Developers and Site Administrators could be in the Donation Pool. Neither option is perfect. The first option helps support the Web Sites directly and the second option supports the individual developer and Admins who may or may not be working on multiple projects. Maybe an annual Drive for each method 6 months apart? I know that there are Software Bounties on other platforms but I don't recall ever seeing one for an Atari software project. Maybe this could be an option for very specific projects. I didn't even bring up the administrating of a project like this. That is whole other discussing.

I'm just throwing out my thoughts here if this is even possible to do in the community. The remaining Atari related sites and projects in my opinion are worth continuing. There must be a decent way to financially support our developers and sites. I will also post this question in a couple of Atari Forums for community discussion. If anybody has a better idea how we can Thank and Support our Atari Sites and Developers please comment on the forums.

I know I can donate to this Site I found that thread in the Forums here.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Financially Supporting Atari Sites and Developers

Postby exxos » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 am

I had a donate button on my site for years but next to never anyone clicked it. My sites been around since about mid 90s as well. Problem mostly is people do not have much spare cash these days. Though I removed the donate button from my site a few weeks ago. Though I only do hardware dev. If people want to support my efforts then I would like them to buy something from my store, so at least the buyer gets something in return. Problem mostly there is , while I sell things like new simms which cost a fair bit to obtain, most people just go on ebay and buy used ones to save a couple $$. So some random person on ebay gets the money, whereas I re-invest sales into future projects.

This is a old "argument" anyway. There are a few hardware developers like me, where it mostly ends up costing us to produce hardware in the long run. For example I just put in for a $500 PCB order for atari projects, and have another $400 one planed soon also. That is excluding costs of parts etc. My pockets are not deep like most peoples. But every sale does help to recover invested cash, so the cash can be re-invest in future development.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:08 pm

It's not hard to get a hold of some specific hardware dev or software author if you really want to donate, be it your time or something else. Software devs can get all the tools and documentation virtually free off the web these days and they have the option to release their work as freeware, shareware, demoware, etc.

Hardware devs on the other hand do invest in projects, have manufacturing costs, test equipment, and so on. If someone wants to donate then give to the hardware devs like Medusa, Suska, MiST, or one of the various devs that make add-ons.

My 2 cents. ;)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:01 pm

For Hatari, the most worthwhile contribution is testing different Atari programs/demos/games with latest Hatari version (from version control) and if there are issues, checking whether they happen on real HW. If not, reporting them in detail.

I would also propose giving money for HW projects.

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Just let your finger click on the Donate button there :angel:
No warranty.
Subscribe to my new channel Vretrocomputing on YouTube and Facebook.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”