New program: "Serial Disk"

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: New program: "Serial Disk"

Postby Anima » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Old 1.x TOSes have problems with RTS/CTS. I remember my 1040STFM with TOS 1.04 was very unstable via nullmodem at 9600 and 19200bps without a fixer installed.

You're right. It is highly recommended to have an optimised serial driver like HSMODA installed.

shazzner
Atari User
Atari User

Postby shazzner » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 pm

Hey Sascha,

I'm trying to run this program on my computer, but I seem to be coughing up an invalid argument. I'm running:

Code: Select all

./MonoSerialDisk.exe --port=/dev/ttyS0 --baud-rate=19200 ~/Dev/TEST

However I'm getting:

Serial Disk v1.0.5860.16760

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.IOException: Invalid argument
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream..ctor (System.String portName, Int32 baudRate, Int32 dataBits, Parity parity, StopBits stopBits, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Handshake handshake, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Int32 readBufferSize, Int32 writeBufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream:.ctor (string,int,int,System.IO.Ports.Parity,System.IO.Ports.StopBits,bool,bool,System.IO.Ports.Handshake,int,int,int,int)
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPort:Open ()
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.InitSerialPort () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] tArguments) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.IOException: Invalid argument
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream..ctor (System.String portName, Int32 baudRate, Int32 dataBits, Parity parity, StopBits stopBits, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Handshake handshake, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Int32 readBufferSize, Int32 writeBufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream:.ctor (string,int,int,System.IO.Ports.Parity,System.IO.Ports.StopBits,bool,bool,System.IO.Ports.Handshake,int,int,int,int)
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPort:Open ()
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.InitSerialPort () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] tArguments) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The only issue I'm seeing is I'm using an actually db9 serial port instead of a usb converter, could that be a cause?

I'm on Ubuntu 15,10
Atari 1040ST

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:40 pm

shazzner wrote:The only issue I'm seeing is I'm using an actually db9 serial port instead of a usb converter, could that be a cause?

It should work with any serial port. When you start MonoSerialDisk without parameters it prints out all available serial port names. So do you see /dev/ttyS0 in the list?

shazzner
Atari User
Atari User

Postby shazzner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks Sascha, I'll check again when I get home but I'm almost certain /dev/ttyS0 appeared before
Atari 1040ST

beakerz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby beakerz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Anima wrote:
beakerz wrote:Is the "write files to PC folder" feature implemented in the meanwhile? If so, would it be possible to publish the latest binaries for convenience?
Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can now write on the PC target as well. Please find attached the most recent version of the Serial Disk tools. Please note that you need to have Mono or .NET installed on your Linux, Mac OS X or Windows machine. Also I recommend to create and choose an empty shared folder on your PC to avoid overwriting important files. Unfortunately it is not as perfect as it should be (like getting sync problems when receiving files while moving the mouse at 115400 bps) but I use it regularly to transfer data from/to my Falcons.

Thank you very much! I'll prepare my environment as you recommended and try out soon...

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
I am trying to use serial disk (windows 10 - atari megaste) but the system refuses to work. I get a busy bee on the atari. I suspect that serial disk is not using the proper serial port on the megaste and since there are no atari configuration options I can't change it. However the Mega has Serial 2 just like the falcon, so it should work there. Any ideas?

this it the command I used:

MonoSerialDisk.exe --port=COM1 --disk-size=15 --baud-rate=19200 --stop-bits=1 --handshake=None D:\atari\
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Btw is the transfer limited to 19200 or one can use the faster ports the MegaSTE/TT/Falcon offers?

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Have anyone managed to get this running on TT -> PC (win7)?
I have configured and started DRVIN.PRG and SCC.PRG from auto folder and then start STserialdisk.tos and then add new device M, when I double click on M: the busy bee appear but nothing else happends. The PC server is running without errors with this command:
MonoSerialDisk.exe --disk-size=128 --port=COM4 C:\TT\hd\
I have tried all ports on my TT, S1 S2 M1 M2. Any ideas?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:08 pm

NGF wrote:Have anyone managed to get this running on TT -> PC (win7)?
I have configured and started DRVIN.PRG and SCC.PRG from auto folder and then start STserialdisk.tos and then add new device M, when I double click on M: the busy bee appear but nothing else happends. The PC server is running without errors with this command:
MonoSerialDisk.exe --disk-size=128 --port=COM4 C:\TT\hd\
I have tried all ports on my TT, S1 S2 M1 M2. Any ideas?

When you start MonoSerialDisk.exe without parameters, it shows all the serial ports available. Is COM4 being listed?

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 pm

Yes COM4 is listed when I start without parameters. But I fear the problem is not the program but the usb2serial cable itself. Can anyone recommend a brand/model of usb2serial?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

Blur2040
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Blur2040 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 am

This seems like a neat tool.

I've tried to use it on a Windows 10 PC. Everything seems to be working right, but when I attempt to access the Serial Disk drive on the Atari, it causes the program on my PC to crash. Following output:

serialdisk --port=COM3 --baud-rate=19200
Serial Disk v1.0.5318.34247
Press any key to quit.
Reading sector 64 (2048 bytes)...
Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: source
   at System.Array.Copy(Array sourceArray, Int32 sourceIndex, Array destinationArray, Int32 destinationIndex, Int32 length, Boolean reliable)
   at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.ReadSectors(Int32 tSector, Int32 tNumberOfSectors)
   at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.SerialDataReceiveHandler()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I've tried this on both a USB>RS232 Device and the serial port built in on the PC. I have tried more extensive arguments on the .exe per the Readme...same results.

I can't seem to find a compiled Linux of the Serialdisk program. Is one available?

Edit: Looking at the brighter side of things...I did learn a few things about my ST during the process...so...even if I can't get it to work...not a total loss.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Can't tell on the fault message.

It should directly work on Linux if you have the Mono environment installed.
Try giving it as an argument to the mono exectuable:
$ mono ./serialdisk.exe <<option>>

The serial port info should point to a Linux serial port /dev/ttyS0 or something like that. A DOS/Windows style COMx won't work.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Blur2040 wrote:I've tried to use it on a Windows 10 PC. Everything seems to be working right, but when I attempt to access the Serial Disk drive on the Atari, it causes the program on my PC to crash.

I am curious about the error. Care to try the program within Visual Studio to get more details about the crash?

Blur2040
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Blur2040 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Thanks for the replies:

Re: Linux - I'm on Debian...but I do concede that I'm a version behind. I installed libmono and whatever dependencies it had, presumed that would be enough. Maybe I missed something, or the update didn't work right.

Re: Visual Studio - Happy to do it. You made it, so that's the least I can do. I presume that this just involves installing the Visual Studio Development environment...loading the source...and I'll probably be able to figure it out from there.

I'll have some more time to mess with it more over the weekend. Perhaps this evening (Friday). Bear with me in that I'm in the U.S. so our times won't match up well.

Some other factors that might be in play:

-I'm in the U.S. running my ST at 60hz.
-I'm on a 1.x TOS. (though I have followed your directions and installed HSMODA)

Blur2040
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Blur2040 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 am

OK, so bear with me.

Considering that I am most likely the issue, I spent some time today trying various things where I might be goofing up. Things done:

Tested RS232 Connection to my PC using terminal emulator on an Atari and PC. I can send stuff back and forth.
Tested the RS232 Connection visa terminal with both the HSMODEM7 driver as well as the built-in driver in my 1.X TOS
Loaded TOS 2.06 with RAMTOS and tried all of the above items in TOS 2.06
Tried a 50Hz boot disk and various variations on the above
I also tried a few variations on Linux (my issue is that I didn't have ALL the necessary parts of libmono installed)

As a result, SerialDisk PC client doesn't crash...but...it still doesn't work.

Having downloaded VisualStudio...and spending a lot of time trying to figure things out...its throwing the exception below.

...and in fact that's all it does.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks for your tests and response with the debugger screenshot. Unfortunately it seems that I have to check it with the Hatari emulator.

One last thing to check though: please try to use different virtual drive sizes like 32 MB/64 MB/128 MB. AFAIK the old TOS has problems with certain sector sizes.

Blur2040
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Blur2040 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:25 pm

I messed around a bit more...

When compiling from the source you have posted online, I was able to get things partially working. I built MonoSerialDisk.exe from source. That combined with the original SerialDisk.TOS that you posted (in the original post) allowed me to read from the PC. The posted (attached to a post in this thread) compiled version, crashes when I try to read from it.

The STSerialDIsk.TOS that you posted (attached to a post on Atari-Forum) will not work at all. Causes a never-ending busy-bee on my ST, regardless of which program I use on my PC-side.

I did try various disk sizes and, for whatever reason, I have it working (again, using the MonoSerialDisk I compiled and the original SerialDisk.TOS) with a 20MB disk size.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”