New program: "Serial Disk"

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: New program: "Serial Disk"

Postby Anima » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Old 1.x TOSes have problems with RTS/CTS. I remember my 1040STFM with TOS 1.04 was very unstable via nullmodem at 9600 and 19200bps without a fixer installed.

You're right. It is highly recommended to have an optimised serial driver like HSMODA installed.

shazzner
Atari User
Atari User

Postby shazzner » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:30 pm

Hey Sascha,

I'm trying to run this program on my computer, but I seem to be coughing up an invalid argument. I'm running:

Code: Select all

./MonoSerialDisk.exe --port=/dev/ttyS0 --baud-rate=19200 ~/Dev/TEST

However I'm getting:

Serial Disk v1.0.5860.16760

Unhandled Exception:
System.IO.IOException: Invalid argument
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream..ctor (System.String portName, Int32 baudRate, Int32 dataBits, Parity parity, StopBits stopBits, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Handshake handshake, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Int32 readBufferSize, Int32 writeBufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream:.ctor (string,int,int,System.IO.Ports.Parity,System.IO.Ports.StopBits,bool,bool,System.IO.Ports.Handshake,int,int,int,int)
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPort:Open ()
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.InitSerialPort () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] tArguments) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.IO.IOException: Invalid argument
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream.ThrowIOException () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream..ctor (System.String portName, Int32 baudRate, Int32 dataBits, Parity parity, StopBits stopBits, Boolean dtrEnable, Boolean rtsEnable, Handshake handshake, Int32 readTimeout, Int32 writeTimeout, Int32 readBufferSize, Int32 writeBufferSize) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPortStream:.ctor (string,int,int,System.IO.Ports.Parity,System.IO.Ports.StopBits,bool,bool,System.IO.Ports.Handshake,int,int,int,int)
  at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Open () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.Ports.SerialPort:Open ()
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.InitSerialPort () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MonoSerialDisk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] tArguments) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The only issue I'm seeing is I'm using an actually db9 serial port instead of a usb converter, could that be a cause?

I'm on Ubuntu 15,10
Atari 1040ST

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:40 pm

shazzner wrote:The only issue I'm seeing is I'm using an actually db9 serial port instead of a usb converter, could that be a cause?

It should work with any serial port. When you start MonoSerialDisk without parameters it prints out all available serial port names. So do you see /dev/ttyS0 in the list?

shazzner
Atari User
Atari User

Postby shazzner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks Sascha, I'll check again when I get home but I'm almost certain /dev/ttyS0 appeared before
Atari 1040ST

beakerz
Atarian
Atarian

Postby beakerz » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Anima wrote:
beakerz wrote:Is the "write files to PC folder" feature implemented in the meanwhile? If so, would it be possible to publish the latest binaries for convenience?
Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can now write on the PC target as well. Please find attached the most recent version of the Serial Disk tools. Please note that you need to have Mono or .NET installed on your Linux, Mac OS X or Windows machine. Also I recommend to create and choose an empty shared folder on your PC to avoid overwriting important files. Unfortunately it is not as perfect as it should be (like getting sync problems when receiving files while moving the mouse at 115400 bps) but I use it regularly to transfer data from/to my Falcons.

Thank you very much! I'll prepare my environment as you recommended and try out soon...

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Hi,
I am trying to use serial disk (windows 10 - atari megaste) but the system refuses to work. I get a busy bee on the atari. I suspect that serial disk is not using the proper serial port on the megaste and since there are no atari configuration options I can't change it. However the Mega has Serial 2 just like the falcon, so it should work there. Any ideas?

this it the command I used:

MonoSerialDisk.exe --port=COM1 --disk-size=15 --baud-rate=19200 --stop-bits=1 --handshake=None D:\atari\
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Btw is the transfer limited to 19200 or one can use the faster ports the MegaSTE/TT/Falcon offers?

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”