R-Type Deluxe Beta Released!

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

tresas
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: R-Type Deluxe Beta Released!

Postby tresas » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Xerus wrote:I got a red screen the first time I launched the game (520 STE 2MB or 1MB?), just after having taken control of the ship and fired my first shot.
Reset, second test, I waited before to shoot (5 or 10 seconds) and after that, no problem, I finished the preview :)
I don't know if it was luck or not, if there was a link.

I had the same problem on my 1040STE with 4MB RAM. Apart from this, i am very very happy that I had this game experience.I always dreamed that Atari scene would build games for STE that would look like Amiga. I am very happy that this is becoming a reality in our days. :D
@bod/STAXThank you for your excellent work. Please continue the good job :cheers:
Atari Jackintosh for ever!

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:57 pm

How do you write the MSA to a disk? I tried MSA v1.14 but it dont seem to work?
Does not write all data i think? (see screenshot).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm

Maybe you should try Jay MSA: http://phoenix.inf.upol.cz/~opichals/jay/

Or with a PC, the solution could be Floppy Image: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:25 pm

After i loaded the rtypedx.msa in Jay MSA where should i click next? i cant find the write to disk option?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:36 pm

It is called "Extract" as in "Extract to disk" and in the second menu of JayMSA.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks i got it to disk now :)
Unfortunately i get a red screen when i push the button to fire in the game :(

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 am

Try my tips (first quoted msg in this page) may be it will work as with my STE.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 am

I am trying to get this running at the MIST board. It currently hangs in the "loading system" screen. I see it loading sectors 0, 51, 30-39 and then 20. And after that it gets stuck in some loop.

I wonder if this is where your own floppy routines kick in. Is this true? Is sector 20++ read in a different way than 30++ before?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Having spent three days tracing through this demo and found the source of my problems. It's mainly broken floppy routines. Where did you get those from? I'd really like to see them.

Here's what happens: The routine checking for errors in the fdc status register bails out if either bit 3, 4, or 5 are set. But 3 and 4 make sense, they are error codes. Bit 5 is set when the floppy motor has spun up and is running at full speed. This bit is only set when the current command is a class 1 (seek) command. Now your code assumes the motor hasn't spun up which doesn't make much sense.

This wasn't too bad if your error handling routine wouldn't be broken. It restores register a1 from the stack and jumps to the retry routine which ... restores a1 from the stack. The result is a corrupted stack, the next rte wrongly restores the cpu status register, the cpu wrongly returns into user mode without a proper user stack set. The cpu then wants to call a subroutine and subsequently tries to write the return address to the stack. The stack pointer is invalid .... BOOOM ...

So i'd really like to see that code as this is one of the few cases where i know that the source code exists and is potentially available :-)

Edit: Ah, sorry, after over a year i simply forgot that you already sent me the original floppy routines. These contain the "issue" where they check the motor on signal (which is for reasons i don't understand yet not triggered on a real machine). And the stack problems ... uhm, it seems you introduced them. The broken a1 handling is in the diassembly of your code but not in the original code snippet you sent me.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Ah, i finally found it. The floppy routines are really stressing the interrupt system by e.g. not acknowledging all fdc irqs and the like. I was finally able to track this down to a bug in my mfp implementation. Now the game loads and "explodes" and then .... crashes with a red screen :-)

Aynway, thanks for this great demo. It really helps me finding bugs in my Atari ST FPGA core.

Still the error handling in the floppy routines is broken. But it was my implementations fault to trigger these error handlers in the first place.

Next: Restart debugging ...

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 pm

And another bug in the MFP / STE DMA sound fixed. And now this demo runs on the MIST.

Great demo! Keep up the work. It's really nice and spending a few days to fix the MISTs Atari Core to support it was really well spent time.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Wondering what's the latest on this STe-project for R-Type. Just had a game tonight from the link at the start of this thread and i'm still enjoying it. So superior to the original..
Steve

tjlazer
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby tjlazer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:23 am

Great job on the game, hope you get to release the full version.
Atari Computer Collector since 1984

From the 8-bit Atari 400 to the 32-bit Atari TT030!

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”