Eiffels - pre-order

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:12 pm

Thought best to announce here...

After several weeks of prototyping and testing I've now got a PCB ready to produce the Eiffel keyboard & mouse controller. This is the new v3 hardware shown on Didier's page.

I'm open to a pre-order stage where I'm trying to gauge interested parties and then I can work out appropriate costs based on the numbers. If you don't want to buy after the price I give back, there's no obligation.

You can see the entire thread in the hardware section here...

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15878

for details and the configuration options.

Thanks for reading.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4383
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby DarkLord » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:20 pm

If the cost isn't too high, I'd be interested in having one. Thanks!
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

User avatar
Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Belfast, N. Ireland

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Decky » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:32 pm

Yea, I would be interested as well, of course depending on the final cost!
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

User avatar
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby GokMasE » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 am

I am interested in buying 3 Eiffel boards.

Regards,

/Joakim

User avatar
rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:00 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby rian_ata » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:07 pm

Interested as well, the complete package 8) (LCD, CAN etc.)

User avatar
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11431
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Stockport (UK)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Mug UK » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:59 pm

How much for local installation if I can drag my TT down to yours as I visit their (Rhyl area) regularly enough to see the folks & family?

Might start using the TT then if it's got a new toy attached to it :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Fri May 01, 2009 8:01 am

I'm sure we can sort that out.

Although if it's for your TT, I suspect you'll want an external version and therefore you'll have to find a suitable box to house it in as I wasn't thinking of doing boxes for the externals.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

User avatar
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11431
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Stockport (UK)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 01, 2009 11:33 am

alanh wrote:I'm sure we can sort that out.


Nice one .. always good to meet fellow forum peeps in the flesh.

alanh wrote:Although if it's for your TT, I suspect you'll want an external version and therefore you'll have to find a suitable box to house it in as I wasn't thinking of doing boxes for the externals.


Ah, so I'll need a suitable-sized PC case to put it into? Will any standard midi-size PC case do or will it fit in to a tower case to give more room for extra add-ons etc.?

I remember seeing a Falcon in a PC case at the JagFest back in 2007 and it looked nice and neat with plenty of room for improvement via extra drives etc. I don't use the TT at all (think I've powered it on twice in the last 18 months!) so this would give me the impetus to do something useful with it and set-it up next to the workhorse STE.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

User avatar
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme
Posts: 2645
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: just outside bristol
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby spiny » Fri May 01, 2009 12:00 pm

I would be interested in one :)

I'd start using my Mega again :)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Fri May 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Mug UK wrote:
alanh wrote:I'm sure we can sort that out.


Nice one .. always good to meet fellow forum peeps in the flesh.

alanh wrote:Although if it's for your TT, I suspect you'll want an external version and therefore you'll have to find a suitable box to house it in as I wasn't thinking of doing boxes for the externals.


Ah, so I'll need a suitable-sized PC case to put it into? Will any standard midi-size PC case do or will it fit in to a tower case to give more room for extra add-ons etc.?

I remember seeing a Falcon in a PC case at the JagFest back in 2007 and it looked nice and neat with plenty of room for improvement via extra drives etc. I don't use the TT at all (think I've powered it on twice in the last 18 months!) so this would give me the impetus to do something useful with it and set-it up next to the workhorse STE.


I've confused you. I'm talking strictly about the eiffel board. You can pop that in a pretty small plastic box.

The connection to the TT is via an RJ11 cable and goes into exactly the same port as your current keyboard does. So remove that plug in the eiffel and then plug in your PS/2 mouse & keyboard into the eiffel. That's it.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

User avatar
wthorbjo
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:02 am

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby wthorbjo » Fri May 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Sign me up for one too, please!
wthorbjo
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Falcon030/CT63, 1040STE, etc...

User avatar
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11431
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Stockport (UK)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Mug UK » Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Ah right, d'oh! I thought this was all part of a suite of goodies to enable you to put it into a PC case (based on my one sighting of an Eiffel inside a PC tower case).

D'oh, d'oh & thrice d'oh :oops:

Having only got the one keyboard between the Mega STE & the TT, I'm still interested :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

User avatar
pterodactyl
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby pterodactyl » Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 pm

I would be interested in one or two fully loaded units as well.

User avatar
FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:27 am
Location: Behind the grassy knoll
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby FatRakoon » Sun May 03, 2009 11:27 am

I have had a Qwertyx in the past and I tried to use it again last night but alas I think its died.

Its Serial only however and very fussy about the mice, and so this is definitely something that I will be needing.

Sign me up!

You're based in Rhyl?

I live only up the road... Old Colwyn in fact.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2434
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (England)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 03, 2009 4:52 pm

I've followed the two threads and I am interested in a internal one that I can plug straight into one of my STe machines. Maybe I have got this wrong? Perhaps by internal you mean inside a PC tower case only? I'm toying with the thought of a tiny case with a PC ATX PSU to house my SCSI and IDE writers, but this is only a thought at the moment.

Anyway I just want a dead simple means of plugging in the Eiffel that does not involve soldering or too much case hacking. However I am open to doing a bit more if necessary.

Right feature options:

So there'll probably be options.....

1. LED's do you really need them for the mouse & keyboard ??
2. LCD interface - is that required ?? additional option ? I'll probably skip this on the prototype.
3. CANbus for coldfire boards. This will be on the prototype as it's why I'm doing it.
4. Board layout, square board with ps2 connectors on the front and joystick on the rear. This is good for external units. Or joystick & ps2 on a backplate for internal mounting in towers.


(1) Yes. I like LEDs on my equipment.
(2) Yes Having a software readout of temps is handy for me, along with a fan during the summer months.
(3) No. I have no need for this personally.
(4) Not sure. I prefer it to be internally fitted inside my STe but other options are okay too if needs be.

So.....how much and which method of payment? I say this after following the threads on the whole UltraSatan saga.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Sun May 03, 2009 7:08 pm

FatRakoon wrote:I have had a Qwertyx in the past and I tried to use it again last night but alas I think its died.

Its Serial only however and very fussy about the mice, and so this is definitely something that I will be needing.

Sign me up!

You're based in Rhyl?

I live only up the road... Old Colwyn in fact.



Not Rhyl, in Flint.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

User avatar
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11431
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:16 pm
Location: Stockport (UK)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Mug UK » Sun May 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Wahey .. that's even nearer and still on the same train line from Warrington Bank Quay :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

Shredder11 wrote:I've followed the two threads and I am interested in a internal one that I can plug straight into one of my STe machines. Maybe I have got this wrong? Perhaps by internal you mean inside a PC tower case only? I'm toying with the thought of a tiny case with a PC ATX PSU to house my SCSI and IDE writers, but this is only a thought at the moment.

Anyway I just want a dead simple means of plugging in the Eiffel that does not involve soldering or too much case hacking. However I am open to doing a bit more if necessary.

Right feature options:

So there'll probably be options.....

1. LED's do you really need them for the mouse & keyboard ??
2. LCD interface - is that required ?? additional option ? I'll probably skip this on the prototype.
3. CANbus for coldfire boards. This will be on the prototype as it's why I'm doing it.
4. Board layout, square board with ps2 connectors on the front and joystick on the rear. This is good for external units. Or joystick & ps2 on a backplate for internal mounting in towers.


(1) Yes. I like LEDs on my equipment.
(2) Yes Having a software readout of temps is handy for me, along with a fan during the summer months.
(3) No. I have no need for this personally.
(4) Not sure. I prefer it to be internally fitted inside my STe but other options are okay too if needs be.

So.....how much and which method of payment? I say this after following the threads on the whole UltraSatan saga.



The only different between an external & internal version is the cable that comes from the Eiffel board. The internal one has an RJ11 for the eiffel whereas the other end is the internal keyboard attachment pins. As for the external, it's an RJ11 to RJ11 cable. So you unplug the existing keyboard from your Mega or TT and plug in the the new eiffel.

So for the internal you'll need to hack the case, and the external you need to find a suitable box to house it in.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2434
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:23 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (England)
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:24 pm

That is fine as I have already hacked my case to allow a ribbon cable from my IDE interface to feed out for accessibility. So making a couple of socket holes for the PS/2 and DB9 and mounting the board should be ok.

User avatar
FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 908
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:27 am
Location: Behind the grassy knoll
Contact:

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby FatRakoon » Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm

alanh wrote:Not Rhyl, in Flint.



Ah, Rhyl, Flint, makes no real difference.

I often go to flint too!

Coem to think of it, I probbaly go to flint more than I go to Rhyl.

But this is by the by...

Fact remains...

I want an Eiffel.

So, Im not going to beat about the bush too much here... I have 3 questions

1 - How do I pay
2 - How Much do I pay
3 - When will I expect to get it,

once I know the answers to those, Im ready to hand over my hard earned.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

simbo

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby simbo » Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 am

can bus is a good idea can you add i2c also as a breakout maybe you can reuse the same io/s with other firmware for i2c or mixed mode on queri setup in code

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Mon May 04, 2009 9:39 am

Well, at the moment, I'm trying to gauge the level of interest so I can work out costs. More interest - less cost because of bulk buying.

I'll leave it another week or so, and then see what the numbers look like and then publish the prices then.

Stay tuned....
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Mon May 04, 2009 9:50 am

simbo wrote:can bus is a good idea can you add i2c also as a breakout maybe you can reuse the same io/s with other firmware for i2c or mixed mode on queri setup in code


Anything's possible, but at the moment I'm just trying to get Eiffels out without any changes so that people can use ps/2 mouse & keyboards.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

HitPoint
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:41 pm
Location: St.Petersburg, Russia

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby HitPoint » Mon May 04, 2009 2:03 pm

i`ve interested too. can i use eiffel with ps\2 mouse adapter only? (i don`t need pc keyboard)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:01 pm
Location: North Wales, UK

Re: Eiffels - pre-order

Postby alanh » Mon May 04, 2009 2:19 pm

HitPoint wrote:i`ve interested too. can i use eiffel with ps\2 mouse adapter only? (i don`t need pc keyboard)


You will need a PS2 keyboard as it takes over the control of the keyboard port. Sounds like you need the "PeST" mouse adapter instead if you want to use your existing keyboard.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.


Social Media

     

Return to “News & Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests