A new Administrator - Techie Alison

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Re: A new Administrator - Techie Alison

Postby jkolak » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 am

muguk wrote:Aly gets her fair share of attention due to her being one of only 2 current (herself & daeghnao) female members on here and 1 of the 3 or 4 in the total life of this forum.

Over-attentive males seem to latch onto our female members in an all too apparent "ugh . wooooman .. must propose to her" way (and probably not just on this forum!) and it's fun to see the way Aly deflects all the offers in such a polite way :)

What is it with hobbies that primarily generate a male following?

In my grade school days it was plastic models, and in junior high, military boardgames. Very rare to find a female there.

My next hobby in high school, long distance cycling, was more integrated with entire families riding, and some individual females going for the hard rides, though back then a female racer could place in the top three just by riding as there were often women's events with fewer than three riders!

My last hobby, the vintage air-cooled VW scene, was also more integrated due again to entire families participating in shows, parents coming to watch their kids race or compete, and gals with Beetles or Karmann Ghias liking to show them. Hardcore engine mechanics, etc, were primarily men, but there was also a strong female interest in the camping scene, and some of the older hippie gals preferring to drive a VW micro bus.

At its height, Atari was a more integrated hobby. The Sacramento ST Users Group (SST) attracted a very diverse crowd. The ST was often a family computer with kids playing games, and parents participating in seeing what the computer could do and getting educational programs to help their kids learn. I remember several families like that at meetings. There were some tech-savvy women too. I remember Kathy Dumbrowski was one of the first in the club to figure out all the settings and utilities needed to get the Atari on the internet. On the national level, I remember Dorothy Drumleve (sp?) writing several successful educational programs for the ST. In Nolan's time, Atari was serious about computers and education. There is a study by a female Atari researcher that is posted at the Atari Museum web site that discusses fantasy games as a learning and problem solving educational tool before fantasy games got big. I also remember a gal on comp.sys.atari.st who was in the forefront of getting Linux 68K running on the Atari.

Well, Alison's professional web site shows she is obviously an accomplished technician. Congratulations on your promotion, Alison, and thanks for all you do to contribute to the Atari community.

Best wishes,

John
jkolak
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Nikolas » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:47 pm

Greenious wrote:
techie_alison wrote: Well at least you're all over 18. I had one of the 15-year olds making a pass a while back!!!!!!!!!!! 15!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, well, now when you are an administrator, you should be aware that all passes on you have to go thru us moderators first... :D

Congrats Aly, you've really stepped up to the moderator role, and I have no doubt you'll prove to be an just as competent administrator! :wink:

Im admin on 2 sites/forums, (my links in sig).
Im allways checking for ppls behaviors....., reactions........... how they behave......... when im searching moderatory/admins. (lol If they will ever be moderator)

Wen "your" shure "he" is right person for forum/site, last task for admins is moust hard one, and thats when you ask persons to be moderator/admin, "he" may denie role of moderator/admin and ofc. they all except his role :)
If you guys expirience hardware problems.
1. Always remove chips if possible before soldering.
2. Resolder your hardware, check cables too.
3. If problem continue THEN must be faulty software.

I got 2 Atari ST
Main is stfm, with blitter, with 4 meg of ram, with 16mhz cpu + s-video and audio input to videobox, vdi out
P.S.
My english may not be correct
Nikolas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Avanze » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Awesome. I think you more then deserve this new title.
Avanze
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby techie_alison » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Many thanks to all. :D

If I'm honest, I don't really know what to say. :wink:
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)
techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SkylineDave » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am

techie_alison wrote:Many thanks to all. :D

If I'm honest, I don't really know what to say. :wink:

a picture speaks a thousand words ;) ;)
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!
SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Congratulations. I think you should use that pic as you new Avatar?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Xerus » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 pm

A woman takes power in a world of men, a funny situation :)
Well done !
Xerus

Postby techie_alison » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Yes, you're all living in a matriarchy now. :D
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)
techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to News & Announcements