Atari TT hardware

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Atari TT hardware

Postby stimpy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:46 pm

I've just got myself an Atari TT and going to have a go at making a couple of hardware addons.

1) A device that plugs between the monitor port and a standard VGA monitor to allow the use all off resolutions, including the special TT high rez 1280x960! A switch will be mounted to flick between the modes. No soldering needed.

2) A CPU accelerator to run a 32MHz TT at 48Mhz, should be about 135% speed increase I think. About 5 or 6 solders needed I reckon.

Both should be pretty resonable in terms of price. Going to pick up a few bits and pieces for the prototypes.
Last edited by stimpy on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netus-Bee,Repairs,Upgrades,EtherNEC,Eiffel

Carbon
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Atari TT hardware

Postby Carbon » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:51 pm

Excellent work, stimpy. I'll be interested.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 pm

I'd be interested .. might force me to blow the dust off the TT and maybe plug it into the 37" LCD downstairs :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:03 pm

I'd definitely be up for a TT High Res convertor gizmo.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:31 am

stimpy wrote:I've just got myself an Atari TT and going to have a go at making a couple of hardware addons.

1) A device that plugs between the monitor port and a standard VGA monitor to allow the use all off resolutions, including the special TT high rez 1280x960! A switch will be mounted to flick between the modes. No sodlering needed.

2) A CPU accelerator to run a 32MHz TT at 48Mhz, should be about 135% speed increase I think. About 5 or 6 solders needed I reckon.

Both should be pretty resonable in terms of price. Going to pick up a few bits and pieces for the prototypes.

If you need some help (pictore of my TT board to see if there are differences comapred to yours for example), I'm here ;)
(My Falcon works very nice since you repaired it ... )

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:04 am

jvas wrote:
stimpy wrote:I've just got myself an Atari TT and going to have a go at making a couple of hardware addons.

1) A device that plugs between the monitor port and a standard VGA monitor to allow the use all off resolutions, including the special TT high rez 1280x960! A switch will be mounted to flick between the modes. No sodlering needed.

If you need some help (pictore of my TT board to see if there are differences comapred to yours for example), I'm here ;)
(My Falcon works very nice since you repaired it ... )

Those pictures could be very useful, I know there were a few different ones. Some had a daughter board didn't they for the 32MHz CPU? My CPU is SMD and soldered to the board. Glad your happy with the Falcon!

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Interesting developments. Indeed the first batch of TT's had / have 32MHz daughterboards as they came out of the factory with 16MHz processors.

The TT high resolution rocks, I have a TTM195 and it's great even if it's only B/W. I am unsure if it's possible to convert that sinal to a TFT monitor for example...

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:08 am

The TT high rez mode is really tricky, especailly as I want it to work with no external power source. Theres quite a bit of ghosting/shadow on the screen but this is to be expected on a prototype as the digital signal is 100MHz and the bandwidth needed is huge!

http://hardware.atari.org/photos/hitt_proto.jpg

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:49 am

Hello,

Spying around your web site, and found that you made also an ISA interface ?
(http://hardware.atari.org/photos/isa.jpg & http://hardware.atari.org/photos/mach64.jpg)

What's the current state ?

Can you connect ISA VGA cards ?

Is it going in production ?

Kind regards.

Mark

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm

If you look at the date on that, it's May 2002! I've never did get it finnished, ISA was, and still is a dead end.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm

As time stamp, I saw 2006 :contract: .

Yes, it's a dead end, like almost all our atari stuff. But at the other hand, lot of isa cards are going very cheap. (around 1,€)
And an ISA - VME interface seems not to difficult. See Nova cards.

Idem Ethernec.

Mark.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Personally I would love to see some kind of internal 10/100 LAN card for the TT whatever kind of connection it used.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:27 am

unseenmenace wrote:Personally I would love to see some kind of internal 10/100 LAN card for the TT whatever kind of connection it used.

If you just want to get a LAN-card and is not too concerned about speed, you can use a Palm Ethernet Cradle and connect it to one of the TT's internal serial ports. The Ethernet Cradle is basically a small router with ethernet in one end and a RS232-port in the other end. You set up a PPP-connection between your TT and the cradle and you're online. The downside is ofcourse speed, as the TT's serialports are limited to 230k4 baud (around 20Kb/s).
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm

joska wrote:If you just want to get a LAN-card and is not too concerned about speed, you can use a Palm Ethernet Cradle and connect it to one of the TT's internal serial ports. The Ethernet Cradle is basically a small router with ethernet in one end and a RS232-port in the other end. You set up a PPP-connection between your TT and the cradle and you're online. The downside is ofcourse speed, as the TT's serialports are limited to 230k4 baud (around 20Kb/s).

If the TT is anything like the ST, then it should be possible to do a hardware modification and increase the baud rate of the serial ports. There are various guides about the process for ST machines, but I'm unsure about TT. Maybe they are handled much differently?
Member of the Atari Legend team

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:36 pm

bullis1 wrote:If the TT is anything like the ST, then it should be possible to do a hardware modification and increase the baud rate of the serial ports. There are various guides about the process for ST machines, but I'm unsure about TT. Maybe they are handled much differently?

yes, TT has different chip than ST, e.g. this chip has DMA channel
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:22 pm

A TT high res adapter -- fantastic idea. Any idea how much it would cost?
regards
BJ

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Thu May 01, 2008 3:18 pm

bj wrote:A TT high res adapter -- fantastic idea. Any idea how much it would cost?

It's not as easy as it first seemed, it doesn't look like it'll work without an extra power source. To drive a VGA monitor requires a fair amount of power, and it doesn't seem possible to pick this power up from current video port. :(

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon May 05, 2008 5:00 pm

me and my tt count on you ;)

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm

if you can read french Rodolphe Czuba give "a way" to made a TT highrez to vga

http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.s ... 78dc064d70
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

stimpy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby stimpy » Mon May 05, 2008 11:43 pm

[ProToS] wrote:if you can read french Rodolphe Czuba give "a way" to made a TT highrez to vga

Unfortunatly, I think what Rodolphe Czuba is saying is modify the TT which is not really wnat I wanted to do. Also, the chip that creates the ECL signal doesn't take in a TTL serial data stream, it comes in 16bit parallel chunks.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 pm

stimpy wrote:The TT high rez mode is really tricky, especailly as I want it to work with no external power source. Theres quite a bit of ghosting/shadow on the screen but this is to be expected on a prototype as the digital signal is 100MHz and the bandwidth needed is huge!

http://hardware.atari.org/photos/hitt_proto.jpg

That's one small trashcan...
tá'n poc ar buile!

CopperCAT
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby CopperCAT » Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 pm

stimpy wrote:
[ProToS] wrote:if you can read french Rodolphe Czuba give "a way" to made a TT highrez to vga

Unfortunatly, I think what Rodolphe Czuba is saying is modify the TT which is not really wnat I wanted to do. Also, the chip that creates the ECL signal doesn't take in a TTL serial data stream, it comes in 16bit parallel chunks.

Just reading this now. That's really impressive 8O How do you do this? An FPGA? Or just discrete logic?

Hercule
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Hercule » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 am

I suppose the question is..... Can it be done properly, using an external PSU if necessary?

Are you (Stimpy) willing to do it?

I certainly am interested, two TTs and one TTM 195 so would want two units.

Can you give a ball park figure for a reliable unit?

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”