Atari-forum party?

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

beeka
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby beeka » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:59 pm

I know I'm not exactly a regular contributor to the forum, but I am a regular reader. I would be interested in joining in too (I can swap disks as well as the next person :-) ). I could fit a few people in a house here (near Portsmouth, UK), if the meet ends up near here, and have a few Ataris available for use. I can't say I am a fan of the North though :-; (too far away for me) Northampton is about my limit.

Steve.

PS: I am assuming it is not going to happen as quick as January, which is going to be mahem for me at work.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:34 am

I think it is only fair and Democratic that whoever has the most posts in the Forum gets the final say on where the venue will be ;) as per the "proportional representation" ideology :) .

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:04 am

I think it's only fair and democratic that those who have the most disks to spread - um, wanted to say 'save for historical reasons' - will discuss whereabouts the meeting will take place. :mrgreen:
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:35 pm

Doesn't have to be only the once this year nor does it have to be in one particular place. I'm sure we can sort something out between us all and spread the events out nicely so that there aren't any clashes.

If there are possible places in York, way down south as well as across the channel then why not hold multiple meetings.

I'd love to attend them all so long as I'm not working and it's near to payday :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:25 pm

muguk wrote:Doesn't have to be only the once this year nor does it have to be in one particular place. I'm sure we can sort something out between us all and spread the events out nicely so that there aren't any clashes.

If there are possible places in York, way down south as well as across the channel then why not hold multiple meetings.

Excellent idea. Just thinking about the facilities here in York, I'm hoping to secure something big enough for a good 15 machines, with an IPCop PC to route with, fast net connection from the Uni. Should be doable. Should we be looking at Aprilish to get past most of the nasty weather? How are we intending to get the images off the machines and onto these fancy modern systems?

I'd love to attend them all so long as I'm not working and it's near to payday :)

I probably only have time to get to one in the North, just too busy these days.

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:34 pm

daeghnao wrote:
muguk wrote:Doesn't have to be only the once this year nor does it have to be in one particular place. I'm sure we can sort something out between us all and spread the events out nicely so that there aren't any clashes.

Excellent idea. Just thinking about the facilities here in York, I'm hoping to secure something big enough for a good 15 machines, with an IPCop PC to route with, fast net connection from the Uni. Should be doable. Should we be looking at Aprilish to get past most of the nasty weather? How are we intending to get the images off the machines and onto these fancy modern systems?

CiH and I should be up for at least one of these. York is also CiH's home city, so he may know of good places to eat etc.

As regards getting the images from Atari machines, I reckon something like an Ethernec/nat cartridge plugged into the ST should do it well, otherwise if we're relying on RS232 and null modem leads it'd take one hell of a while longer.

For actual discs themselves (and I know some people have had mixed results) FloImg on the PC seems to do a good job, certainly it has done that for me here. Only prob is (afaik) it is only for XP, if there's a Linux version around it means I could bring my laptop up for this.

Cheers,

Rich
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:46 pm

By The Way.. anyone with disks that have errors.. KEEP THEM... I love to try to image ones that have problems :) ... i have my ways and means :)

:cheers: :thumbs:
someone post something, i'm bored :)

NiceGuyUK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby NiceGuyUK » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:33 pm

felicemaggie wrote:For actual discs themselves (and I know some people have had mixed results) FloImg on the PC seems to do a good job, certainly it has done that for me here. Only prob is (afaik) it is only for XP, if there's a Linux version around it means I could bring my laptop up for this.

Doncha just hate closed-source software? I think this one may be a non-starter though, cos its basically a wrapper for a low-level disk driver, that makes up for the deficiencies in XP's own FD drivers. I'm not sure Linux has these deficiencies too....

Nice to see another Linux-laptop-using Atarian though :wink:
Also known as Big Boss Man of Demografica

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:17 pm

Best way for imaging unprotected disk is using a Catweasel. With a Catweasel you can easily image 11 sectors per track and those problematic "fast" Fcopy Pro tracks.

Otherwise you can use MakeDisk on DOS, FlopImg on Windows, or the Linux built-in tools. But disregarding the OS and software you won't be able to image directly on the PC those disks mentioned above.

Lastly, when imaging directly on the PC make sure the PC drive can read tracks 80 and 81. Many PC drives cannot (many can).

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:22 pm

NiceGuyUK wrote:
felicemaggie wrote:For actual discs themselves (and I know some people have had mixed results) FloImg on the PC seems to do a good job, certainly it has done that for me here. Only prob is (afaik) it is only for XP, if there's a Linux version around it means I could bring my laptop up for this.

Doncha just hate closed-source software? I think this one may be a non-starter though, cos its basically a wrapper for a low-level disk driver, that makes up for the deficiencies in XP's own FD drivers. I'm not sure Linux has these deficiencies too....

Nice to see another Linux-laptop-using Atarian though :wink:

On Linux, you really don't need anything special for basic imaging, you can use things like cp, dd and mtools to manage Atari disks - the only thing that won't work is the FCopy fast format, but the controller has trouble with that regardless of the OS. I'm expecting we can image a good deal of stuff on Linux if need be - I only have Linux PCs, so I'm fairly familiar with them, but no floppy drive with my laptop. If I arrange things the way I'm expecting to, we'll have access to a source of spare PCs for the weekend too. I guess in the end, we'll just fiddle about and see what works, and I hope someone will be in a position to write it up.

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:19 pm

I'm sure between us we will manage to image nearly anything that is around... in some way shape or form.. even the disks that are a real pain to do.. like the 11 sector ones and fcopy fast format..

We can all learn something from each other on how to image i'm sure...

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Think it might be easier to expand this thread into separate subjects for each meet then when we're all ready to announce dates and locations etc.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:49 pm

Well we all know what we want to achieve (image disks, scan boxes).

I don't think realistically anyone could attend anything really early 2007, we're all just too busy.

I also don't think I care less what the weather is like - I mean I'm not exactly going to consider this part of my summer hols or anything. We'll be stuck indoors anyway, so for me it's irrelevant.

Avoiding the other Atari parties makes perfect sense.

So we need some votes / ideas of numbers, and to know if we need to split this up into two events (North vs. South) or if people are willing to drive. But before we even do that, we need to know venues, so far we have:

1) Gloucester
2) York
3) Portsmouth

Which of these would you personally prefer? Right now let's just count the votes, then we can work out a suitable date for everyone.

Cheers,

Rich

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:14 pm

Are you going to Poll the question in a new topic or would you prefer that everyone post their votes here?
Although I personally would prefer York, it is obvious that Gloucester is the most centralised U.K. venue.
So therefore I vote for York! :mrgreen:

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Well - for visitors from the continent it would be ideal to visit Unseen at Ramsgate (that's Unseenmenace living there, isn't it?), as the ferries are pointed in that direction.

But I'd like to come to Gloucester as I've been around Stroud and Cheltenham two and a half years ago and really liked it there.

(All the time saying that I don't know if I happen to have time and money at the time the meeting will take place...)
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:29 pm

NiceGuyUK wrote:
felicemaggie wrote:Nice to see another Linux-laptop-using Atarian though :wink:

Heh, Dell laptop running Mandriva Linux here. Have been for years.

Don't do MS/Windows... :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:44 pm

CiH and I should be up for at least one of these. York is also CiH's home city, so he may know of good places to eat etc.

Erm, nice idea Rich, and I am indeed a native of that fair, if tourist-clogged city. The only problem is, I was only resident in York for the first 6 months of my life, and have only been back for occasional visits since.

Therefore my mental copy of the Lonely Planet Guide has eff-all in it for that part of the world ;-)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:14 pm

CiH wrote:

Erm, nice idea Rich, and I am indeed a native of that fair, if tourist-clogged city. The only problem is, I was only resident in York for the first 6 months of my life, and have only been back for occasional visits since.

Therefore my mental copy of the Lonely Planet Guide has eff-all in it for that part of the world ;-)

Not a problem, I've been here for just over 12 years now. I will contact some students and see what's the best way of finagling things so that we can get a decent room. We may have to do it via the computer recycling charity here, in which case we'd expect to raise money somehow. Maybe sponsored imaging, a penny for every 10 disks or something?

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Quick tip for Jens:

If you fly with EasyJet ( http://www.easyjet.co.uk ) you can get a cheap flight from Hamburg to Bristol, which is only a short distance from Gloucester.

You can also get a fairly cheap flight from Koln to Liverpool, which is only about 90 minutes drive from York.

And EasyJet fly from Berlin Schoenfeld to pretty much all over the UK.
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:52 pm

jens wrote:Well - for visitors from the continent it would be ideal to visit Unseen at Ramsgate (that's Unseenmenace living there, isn't it?), as the ferries are pointed in that direction.

But I'd like to come to Gloucester as I've been around Stroud and Cheltenham two and a half years ago and really liked it there.

Yep thats me, stuck on the arse end of the country :)

The only problem with that idea being the small size of our house and the wife and 2 small children :)

Of course if I can get rid of them for a day or 2 ...
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:25 am

well ramsgate isn;t soo far from me... been there a couple of times this year :)

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:32 am

Just to add that I will be willing to collect / drop-off people from Bristol airport.

I have looked into local accommodation, and there is a Youth Hostel about 5 miles from here which looks perfect, if a little small in size (only 8 beds) - but depending on the time of the year, this might not be a problem:

http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hostelpages/233.html

Obviously off-peak is best for availability. Otherwise there are plenty of B&Bs, guest houses, and camp sites if that takes your fancy.

I have found a really nice local place that could offer us a conference room + accommodation + food / bar + swimming pool (and gym if you want), but obviously the price of this is twice that per night of the Youth Hostel above.

http://www.thedarkbarn.co.uk/

You'd be looking at around £35 per night (£40 inc. breakfast).

I think right now it would be sensible if people could say what the maximum they are willing to pay is? I will start a poll now to get an idea of numbers too. BTW I thought of a cool name for this - APP - The Atari Preservation Party :)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:57 am

This sounds real fun - I gave up on trying to image most of my old Atari disks as both Makedisk and the Windows XP tool I tried later went gaga on about half of them. Plus, they were mostly crap that's available anyway except for some dodgy gravatics disks (which, judging from the scrolltext, was done by twelve year-olds anyway) :)

I'd have to fly over and get buses, and I'm pretty broke these days, though.
tá'n poc ar buile!

felicemaggie

Postby felicemaggie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Do we have any ideas of dates for this as yet ?

Some of us have to work weekends and we need to be able to get the time reserved ...

cheers,

Rich
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:57 pm

If you're asking after the York do, no firm date yet. I'm aiming for 17th/18th March at the moment, should be able to confirm that in the next few days. Got some local Linux stuff to arrange too, room bookings people are going to love me...

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”