Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Atari-forum party?

Postby rich » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:24 pm

Edit by Rich:

This idea came about from the '3500 disks' thread. The idea being we get together and have a 'reverse copy party' - where instead of copying games like mad, we're actually creating MSA files from unique disks in order to preserve them for ever more. As well as imaging disks we can also scan game box, and collect together as many rare things as possible to upload and share for all.

So we get together over a weekend somewhere, and work like mad creating files, scanning and of course drinking beer (or whatever your favourite beverage is)

Everything we get done by the end of it can be burned to DVDs for whoever attends the party, and then uploaded to any site that wants it.

So read on if you're interested :)
Last edited by rich on Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:39 pm

That would be a productive weekend to say the least - when I get my next laptop (sold the last one to help pay for Xmas presents!) then I'll be up for that.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:27 pm

Anyone here got a house big enough? :) Mine could cope with about 4 people max, but only if I persuaded the wife to vanish for the weekend and take our son with her! (that may take some serious persuading)

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 pm

rich wrote:Anyone here got a house big enough? :) Mine could cope with about 4 people max, but only if I persuaded the wife to vanish for the weekend and take our son with her! (that may take some serious persuading)

That sounds just like my place but she'd have to take 2 kids and 2 cats away with her LOL
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:09 pm

rich wrote:You know maybe we should have an 'archiving party' or something - we a few of us just get together at someones house for the weekend and just image disks, scan boxes and drink beer. Everything we get done at the end of it can be uploaded to various places. :)

I have space to set up 2 or 3 extra computers in the dining area temporarily, plus the STE and Falcon upstairs along with a Linux PC. Room to sleep one or two people, reasonable parking. Just need to clear a space in my hectic diary that people can manage. Will think it over and see what the missus's schedule is like.

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Hmmm.. maybe something a little bigger should be organised... not just disks that have been imaged.. but maybe re-imaged... disks to be imaged.. disked to be repaired (brume is good at that) :)

etc etc...

I'm sure between us all we can resurrect nearly any disk..

Possibly organise something between us for summer 2007 some time...

I have 3 ST's if needed.. as well as second drive.. and a little knowledge on imaging stubborn disk :)

sounds like a plan .....

:cheers: :thumbs:

yes i have a a beer or two.. but definatly seems like a plan... :)
someone post something, i'm bored :)

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:15 am

Why wait for summer time? :) Although I agree it's going to take some serious work coordinating everyone to get together at once.

But I did mean an 'imaging' party, so yes people MSAing, fcopying, scanning, etc. It's probably a bit too much to ask Brume to travel over here just for that though :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:33 am

So long as it doesn't clash with Outline 2007 (end of May/beginning of June 2007) or the Jagfest (the following month) then I'm up for it.

Some nice weather would be preferable. I've got over 2000 disks that still haven't been imaged and over 300 originals to bring if I can get a lift to wherever it's going to be held :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:19 am

rich wrote:Why wait for summer time? :) Although I agree it's going to take some serious work coordinating everyone to get together at once.

But I did mean an 'imaging' party, so yes people MSAing, fcopying, scanning, etc. It's probably a bit too much to ask Brume to travel over here just for that though :)

I'd love to come!!!
The travel won't be a problem, especially if you plan to do that while the summer. That'll be the perfect way to visit UK :)

I still have something like 3000 disks I never imaged (many menus/demos/games/mods and also a lot of stuffs from Australia)... Also have 300-400 original disks. The main problem will be to come with this bunch of disks...

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:37 am

Especially if you sail/drive over Brume .. I'm sure the customs officers would be looking at your collection very strangely indeed :)

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:16 am

Wow.. ok, so maybe I have sparked off a good idea here then :) and sure we can avoid the other parties.

I wouldn't be against the idea of renting out some space somewhere for this and hosting it - I guess the biggest cost (to the visitor) would be staying somewhere, so cheap accommodation would be a must. But there's plenty of that around here.

What worries me more is that I know realistically each person could only probably image say 250 disks in one day, at a real push, with very few breaks! I have 2 STFMs, 1 STE, 2 PCs, 1 Mac, 2 scanners and 1 Falcon that could be employed into this task though :)

Hmmm.... from little acorns 'n all that.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:44 am

Let the oak trees grow! :)

The First Atari Forum Big Meet could be a possibility in 2007 then.

Would probably need to be somewhere close to airports for our overseas visitors to turn up. Even if they just bring a laptop, there's always going to be a need for dedicated people to do scanning etc.

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:53 pm

rich wrote:Wow.. ok, so maybe I have sparked off a good idea here then :) and sure we can avoid the other parties.

I wouldn't be against the idea of renting out some space somewhere for this and hosting it - I guess the biggest cost (to the visitor) would be staying somewhere, so cheap accommodation would be a must. But there's plenty of that around here.

I may be able to wangle a room at the University of York for a weekend, especially if we tie in with a student society in some way. We already hold regular Linux install days here. Easy to get to by road (A64 links up with A1 and thence to the M1), main-line train service, not too bad from Manchester airport or from Hull. I have room to put up a couple of people, otherwise as you mention the accommodation will be the main cost. Not too far from some B&B type places, but it's mainly student accommodation and new flats where I am.

What worries me more is that I know realistically each person could only probably image say 250 disks in one day, at a real push, with very few breaks! I have 2 STFMs, 1 STE, 2 PCs, 1 Mac, 2 scanners and 1 Falcon that could be employed into this task though :)

Hmmm.... from little acorns 'n all that.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:58 pm

I'm in the Forest of Dean (15 miles west of Gloucester, about 20 miles NE of Bristol) - I have no objections to hosting this event, but obviously can only do it if its around here. Perhaps we ought to have some kind of vote to see who would be willing to travel, and how far. Punch GL15 5LF into your Auto Routes and tell me if that's too far or not.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:31 pm

OK .. would it be easier to move this all into a new thread and then we can split this between the 3500 disks topic and the proposed Atari Forum meet.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:57 pm

Can a mod do that? (i.e. a split a thread up at a certain point into a new thread) - if not I can repost into say Chat ENG?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:20 pm

I can only delete messages. Brume's got the real power :)

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:48 pm

Done.
Rich, I Have edited your original post. I just removed the sentence "I know what you mean mug" because it would look strange to begin the thread like this. Haven't changed anything else.

Ok, let's discuss about an Atari-forum party. Or maybe an AF/LGD party? ;)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm up for any gathering of like-minded people :)

If we can get some rare stuff scanned in and preserved then it's definitely going to be worth it.

Like this Astrology package I got off eBay. Not even looked at it but it looks pretty special and was originally >£500 when it was released in the early 90's :)

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:02 pm

Don't forget to take tons of fotos or maybe a video of the party for those, you can't be present.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Hah you won that Mug?! :) I was going to bid on that but didn't get around to it :)

Brume - Nice one, thanks :)

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:32 pm

I not only have an STE with a working hard drive, I also have a tranny van, and live withing ass-kicking range of Mug ;)
I have already had a go at this imaging thingy, so count me in*. :)

Of course I will be voting for whichever prospective venue is the closest to me, at present York would be preferable as it is about half the distance therefore half the fuel cost of Glou-Cestershire :o

I would not have a problem with contributing** towards the cost of hiring a place for the event.

*Count me in only if I am actually going which is possible, but not definite.
**This also means that I would sting Muguk for a "contribution" to my fuel costs

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Enough room in the van for my TT set-up?

Up for a contribution / visiting fee / whatever towards the hire of the place. Bound to be plenty of cheap accomodation if it's out of season.

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:36 pm

I'd be especially interested if the party would be on the continent.
Southern England would be ok as well.

Maybe we could split it as well, so some people would work on Brumes disks in France and others would work on Rich's disks in GB.

If I could come, then I'd put some TTs or Falcons in my boot to do multiple msa's. :)
I'd certainly need some kind of network and internet access to share files and keep contact via AtarICQ. :mrgreen:
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:51 pm

muguk wrote:Up for a contribution / visiting fee / whatever towards the hire of the place. Bound to be plenty of cheap accomodation if it's out of season.

This is the cool thing about using the Uni, if I can arrange it right we'll get the room for free. Need to know by about the 2nd of January, though, if it's going to be before Easter - rooms go quickly.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”