The Atari ST magazine preservation project

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: The Atari ST magazine preservation project

Postby MagikGimp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 pm

You're in luck! That issue of STampede is on eBay at the moment. You know, I knew I'd seen it before but I didn't twig until now. In fact I almost bought it myself when that listing first appeared so good thing I didn't! (Click the pic)
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Good find!

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 pm

I try. ;)

Mind you, there are plenty of copies of the boxed game on eBay, even a JAMMA board of the arcade original! I guess they're no good because they crop the art too much or are too small? I wonder who did the arcade bezzel (also for sale!), some of which Bob based his work from.
badflame must have gone to bed already. Hopefully this is some good news to wake up to, sir! :)
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

badflame
Atarian
Atarian

Postby badflame » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:48 pm

MagikGimp wrote:You're in luck! That issue of STampede is on eBay at the moment. You know, I knew I'd seen it before but I didn't twig until now. In fact I almost bought it myself when that listing first appeared so good thing I didn't! (Click the pic)

YES !!!!! Bought

Thanks a lot mate. I owe you one :cheers:

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 am

No worries, I enjoy helping out here and there where I can. :) Just let us know when you've finished the restoration; I'm sure we'd all love to see another brought back to life. Cheers!

badflame
Atarian
Atarian

Postby badflame » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:15 pm

It's as good as done.

My last restoration: "Striker"

It has not been the most complex, I have only deleted texts and have enlarged the left side of the image, which was cut and deformed.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Nice work!

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Seconded! :thumbs:
Going back to what I was saying before, is the art on the game boxes themselves too small?
Also, when's the coffee-table book going to be published? ;)

badflame
Atarian
Atarian

Postby badflame » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for your kind comments, guys.

About the game boxes. Normally when scan at 600 dpi you win a lot of size, but... after is necessary soften the image to reduce the "moire", and resize to win focus again. So, in the best case, with a clean source, using a good scanner and an the appropriate edition, you can duplicate the original size (approximately).

About the book it's complicated. The problem is that all the illustrations are copyrighted. Perhaps I could convince Wakelin to publish an art book with all his work, later, when I recover all his lost work.

badflame
Atarian
Atarian

Postby badflame » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Well, it was a very hard restoration but, here you are the finished work: https://twitter.com/postersdecine/statu ... 1019304961

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

There is a lot of great work going on here! I applaud you all! Well Done.
I have a side related question. What about the cover disks that went with many of these mags? It would most convenient that when you look a mag online you cold also download the cover disk right there. Also, what cover disks I can find are all in STX format, so it's hard to run on real hardware. The is a lot of the disks out there that are only side 1, or have bad/corrupt/missing files.
I sure I probably have missed a thread about it. But it would great to have the kind of detail spent here also applied to cover disks.
Kind of make a complete package. Like when you went to the book store and purchased that baggie with a new glossy mag and disk inside!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

badflame
Atarian
Atarian

Postby badflame » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for your kind comments KLund1.

About the disks of the magazines, in this case were not included in the pack. But I think that most of them are available to download online. Although perhaps, the label image not have sufficient resolution to print at optimum quality.

Social Media

Return to “News & Announcements”