Atari TT030 and system V

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:17 am

Hi,

ok, so I finally got the hdd from Mark (thanks!) Yes, it boots and after some time it bombs out (it really seems as problem with some HW driver).

The problem is the disk itself is in atari incompatible format, i.e. HDDriver says 0 bytes used and it isn't possible to boot from it before you set "Unix" option in NVRAM. And what's the problem? I can't image it using my falcon (as I hoped) since there are no partitions -- and FreeMiNT doesn't have something like /dev/sda (raw scsi device) source so I can't use "dd" tool.

The question is:

1. is there some software for Atari which doesn't need partition scheme and is able to make images?
2. if not, do you think it's hard to write? ;-)

There's of course 3rd option and that is to catch some PC guy with 50pin SCSI adapter. Option 1) would be best -- we can image in a few hours then. Option 2) is interesting but I can't code it before end of May or so (a lot of school stuff).

But it's here! So image is on the way... it's a question how long way ;-)

Richard
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:15 pm

Hi,

I imaged my system by plugging the drive into my HP-UX system and imaging the whole drive using DD, then transfered the image to my Windoze PC using FTP.

My version of ASV appears to work fine (a little slow though), the only thing I am struggling with is getting it on my network.

Cheers,

Richard.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:21 pm

as I wrote Richard personally, there's my ftp to upload so there will be available to download for everyone interested.. so all in all we will have two ASVs! I hope it will be possible to read that "damaged" (from Mark) with this working one.

chance227
Atariator
Atariator

TT ASV UNIX

Postby chance227 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi there Mikro and Richard

I like the idea of two copies of ASV, at least we all can get up and running
with what we all have.
I beleive I can get Marks copy fixed if I could get my hands on it and suss it out. My work mate who has worked on UNIX since Adam was walking around in nappies would pin point this problem within minutes, he has been working on such systems since the sixties and seventies with companies as, NCR, AT&T, NASA and countless others, if he cant get it worked out no one can.

I have two TT 030s ready for testing this OS

1 with 4/128 mega of ram, 9 gig scsi H/DD, Reibel Card and CD Burner
2 with 4/32 megs of ram, 9 gig scsi H/DD

My long tem plans for this OS, is to get it going and develop a client / server application so that ALL ataris can connect EG: STs / STes / Falcons and TT/030 and get the Atari back into SOHO ( small office home office )
as the TT /030s were heading back in the early nineties

Any other comments or ideas? please lets share and combine to get this OS back to where it should be.

Chance227
Downunder in OZ ( Melbourne Australia )

wbyte
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Atari TT030 and system V

Postby wbyte » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Hello, so someone manage to "clone/distribute" the OS in HDD/images ?

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Yeah, I'm wondering too about what happened. I remember reading it back then and being eager to try it out, but forgot about it 8O

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

rian_ata wrote:Yeah, I'm wondering too about what happened. I remember reading it back then and being eager to try it out, but forgot about it 8O

you're not alone :) situation is as follows: i've got image of (working) ASV from Richard for years. When we discussed this matter he was quite conservative about public download because he payed quite a money for that TT... so we haven't decided what to do and this is it. So probably the most politically correct way should be to PM him if he is against public download...

second, i've got Mark's image of (nonworking) ASV and shame on me, I didn't manage to make a image yet. It was because nobody else cared and so on. I probably code some own utility since I don't have SCSI adapter... or maybe... I rememer seeing one in my work, I try to get it.

Anyway, is there really interest for such thing? Maybe it would be quite a fun to try it under Aranym... when Linux can work, why not Atari Unix :) Hey, this is quite a cool idea! Oh wait... Aranym emulates 040 MMU, oh poo.

chance227
Atariator
Atariator

Postby chance227 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Hi there Guys,
Yes it has been quiet around the ASV scene for awhile. I have not forgot you guys and very keen to get this up running.

Mikro when we last ( spoke) i had managed to get the image on one of my TT030s up and running, but didn't get to setup the X Window, time was running out ( The Mrs had House renovations in mind, which slowed me down to a crawl)
what i did find out that if I ran the image on my second TT030 with a different Ram card and no Network card installed it gave the same error message as our first guys problems, but stating parity errors, which i know from someone on the forum said that some TT Ram cards do not like SVR4. I believe it may be the Ram itself that may be the problem, not the cards. i am chasing some more ram for my second TT030 to prove that theory, ( My first TT030 uses different ram to the 2nd TT030) but until then I really do not want to pull my first TT030 apart to swap ram cards just yet.
When using a fast SCSI drive SVR4 comes up fairly quick and i think really is the only way to run it properly.
I am still keen to look at our friends damaged SVR4 image and run it on my first TT030 to prove that is OK and then proceed from there, so when you get a chance please image his SVR4 and let me know where I can get at it for testing.

Mikro my offer to send a SCSI card to you is still available if you still want it, but let me know what type you need eg: 50 pin or 68 pin connectors? etc.. Do not worry about postage to you, if in fact you can use it I would be more than happy to give it to you as a gift.

For now
Chance227 Downunder in OZ

wbyte
Atari User
Atari User

Postby wbyte » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:01 am

mikro wrote:When we discussed this matter he was quite conservative about public download because he payed quite a money for that TT... so we haven't decided what to do and this is it. So probably the most politically correct way should be to PM him if he is against public download...

Keeping it only for you is like supporting communism

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm

I have SCSI Equipment on my PCs and I have plenty of PC Software to do Disk Images etc

I would be more than happy to organise backing up a disk image in whatever format would suit the masses best.

Of course a copy of the installation files would be vastly better than a disk image, but if I can offer my services to anyone then just let me know.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Hello guys, please put a HD-Image Online ...

On a private Web or FTP Site or via rapidshare !

best regards

Lukas

Send the SCSI Drive in and I make a HD Image form the Device and send it back.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Richard
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Richard » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:11 pm

My main problem with the distribution of this image was with the potential legal issues.

But I am pretty sure no-one is going to be interested in ATARI ASV, so as far as I am concerned my version can be distributed.

Richard.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Hello MIKRO,

I send the hard disk to you, with the purpose that the info on the drive was not lost, and that you could make a copy or an image of it.
If the hd collect dust, can you send him to some-one who can make an image of it ?

I'm curious what other files are on the disk, except the OS.

Mark.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi guys,

believe or not but I woke up one day and told myself "hell i must to get that ASVs online!". So in the same day I bought on ebay PCI SCSI card, which is currently on its way to me.

Second, since Richard has nothing against the ASV publishing, go to mikro.atari.org and ... :) Mark's hdd image will be online as soon as I image it. Btw I checked it on my TT030, harddisk / ASV still works, however, it ends on completely different error message as in your case (something with bombing out). Mine ends on something like "cannot mount virtual root filesystem".

Btw #2, don't forget X Server is running only on Atari's ECL monitor (that hires one) so in case you have SCSI card and you can test Richard's image, be aware of this.

More news soon :)

Richard
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Richard » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Hey guys,

I also have a pile of ASV related floppys that came from Ataris ASV dev group, all labelled with interesting things (no installation floppys though). I will image these and make them available (possibly send them to mikro to host all ASV related stuff in the same place?), if anyone is interested?

Cheers,

Richard.

chance227
Atariator
Atariator

Postby chance227 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 am

Hi there Guys

Firstly Richard, I have contacted Atari Corp Directly in the past with the question to copyrights and support for Old Technology and where do we as Atari users stand, this is a quote from the reply
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Re Atari hardware - Software
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:42:42 +1100
To: 'Syscob Pty.Ltd.' <info@syscob.com.au>

Hello Michael,

Unfortunately this is a very difficult one to answer and I'm not sure that this is one we will be able to resolve easily.
We do own all the rights to the old Atari hardware and software but as this is very old technology and there are probably many patents and license issues we really couldn't advise on your question. This hardware is no longer supported by us so I couldn't advise on this.
All I can really say is we own the technology (or most of it) but as it is not technology that is current, I am not in a position to advise on usage.

Bets Regards,
Simon
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have also contacted UNISOFT " great bunch of guys "the software company in charge of the Unix Port of SVR4 to Atari and advised it was under the control of Atari Corp and I would have to contact them directly.

I personally believe that WE have made every effort to do the right thing by Atari Corp, in trying to continue using " very old technology" and the response we get is " no longer supported" I have NEVER been told in writing or by email communications not to use or distribute the SVR4 Software in any way shape or form from Atari Corp.
If this is still a issue with some of our forum users I will contact Atari Corp and ask them to state in writing " are we as users of old Atari hardware and software able to continue to use and distribute this old technology for personal use only.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:50 am

I think Unix SVR4 is the valuable intellectual property of the SCO group, just as Linux is. After they have sued IBM to death they will come after you... :lol:

Hans Wessels

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:56 am

Richard wrote:Hey guys,

I also have a pile of ASV related floppys that came from Ataris ASV dev group, all labelled with interesting things (no installation floppys though). I will image these and make them available (possibly send them to mikro to host all ASV related stuff in the same place?), if anyone is interested?

Of course, the more we preserve, the better. I can host it with no problem, the server has good connectivity and I have no limits there.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:34 pm

Hello mikro, as no Windows User how can I put the "asv_boot.img on a Harddisk ? Or with Windows, with Programm´s is needed ...

regards

frank
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:35 pm

OK guys, finally done. SCSI controller arrived, my girlfriend's old computer got running (some problems with PSU and/or HDD, it was very close ;-) and I was able to image also Mark's HDD. After how many? 3 years? Cool.

Anyway, I updated the Richard's image (included md5sum) + uploaded Mark's image (md5sum + sfv) so you can play with it as much as you want ;-)

About back-writing: it's easy, download img and under linux type:

dd if=asv-mark_or_richard.img of=/dev/sda (or whatever your SCSI disk is) and that's it. I plan to code some simple tool for Atari for this task, I really don't want to have some stupid PC for this every time.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:19 pm

So what's up guys? Before imaging / uploading everybody has full mouth of great plans how to study / fix those Unix images and now it seems nobody cares.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 pm

I've only just seen this thread.

Where are the images - I'd love to get my hands on this.

Thanks.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 am

Nyh wrote:I think Unix SVR4 is the valuable intellectual property of the SCO group, just as Linux is. After they have sued IBM to death they will come after you... :lol:

Hans Wessels

They (SCO) lost big time, and rightly so....

Nothing but a bunch of leechers, IMHO.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:10 am

alan: they are on my web, in the download section (mikro.atari.org)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks!
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”