Falcon Afterburner - Please Help!

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Falcon Afterburner - Please Help!

Postby dml » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks for the update - good work on the header tracing.

Interesting that they only map the missing address lines on the AB expansion (24-31) *plus* the low 4 bits of the address are duplicated along with all data lines. The low 4 bits are useful for decoding for peripherals and some other stuff but not sure exactly what they had in mind here. Any thoughts?

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 am

It is strange indeed. The data bus is fully isolated so there is no connection between the falcon connector and the AB040 connector for these (D0-D31).
The address line that are on the A040 bus are also isolated from the Falcon bus (I'll recheck this to be 100% sure).
I assume they only assert AS* on the Falcon connector when accessing the mother board so it's probably generated in one of the MACH210 (I'll try to trace it). This also probably latch the data bus to the falcon (in 16bit mode so some SIZ0 - SIZ1 logic is done by the MACH210) and some of the lower address lines.
I also see that TA* is missing from the AB040 connector (TS* is present) so how do you ACK the end of the transfer (equivalent of AS* / DTACK* ) ? I would have expected to see it on the bus (may be it's pin 17 or 18 that I can't trace).
So there are still some mysteries there. I put back the card in my Falcon for now but I intend to do more tracing. I might have to take the logic analyzer out (http://www.saleae.com/logic). Hopefully it won't be too slow to see transition on these pins.
Regards, Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I received the 2 PCBs today. Hopefully I'll have time to start working on them this weekend
Regards, Rodolphe

AB040_060_front.jpg

AB040_060_Back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm

I'll report here as soon as I have something (first step is soldering everything, then test power and ground to make sure there are no short circuits).
As a side note I have everything needed to burn new TOS eprom if needed (27C4096 can be found for cheap on ebay, they are 256Kbit x 16).
I haven't found 16bit flash (yet) that could be interfaced to the AB040 so that we can re-flash the TOS without an eprom burner.
Regards, Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:52 am

Quick update :
I started soldering the first board. The 68040 socket connection is fairly easy to solder. The 68060 .. I had to put the SIP on the 68060 .. all the way in (it's going to be a b**ch to remove it after soldering). I also put the other component except the 74F157 as I ordered the wrong form factor (I needed a SO16 package and I got a SOIC-16). The new one are on their way. I check ground and so far no short circuit. I'll solder the 68060 "socket" tomorrow and will check all the signals.
So i'm making some progress (but I have other hobbies getting in the way (astronomy)), slow progress... but I should have a full board may be next weekend or the one after.

Regards, Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:00 am

I don't seem to be getting notifications on this thread anymore but I check it from time to time anyway :)

The socket on the AB40 is imperfect and it's difficult to prize chips out of it. I haven't tried to reseat a 68060 but it can only be worse, with more pins. Don't do anything in a hurry :) good luck getting it assembled, interested to see what happens.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:14 pm

so it looks like the 74F157 doesn't exist anymore in SO16 package. The order I placed with Mouser just got canceled by them (even though they still show the chip as available on their website).
So I'm going to have to be inventive to solder the SOIC-16 version on the board ....
Regards, Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I just finished the first card. I'm in the process of testing all the connection for defect (short circuit, broken track, ...) before plugging it on the Falcon.
I'll start the 2nd card once the first one is tested.
My guess is the Falcon is not going to start because of bad instruction in the TOS. But I'll put my logic analyzer on the address pin to see if the 68060 fetches the first few instruction.

I'll try to post a picture later today.

Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:08 pm

rpineau wrote:I just finished the first card. I'm in the process of testing all the connection for defect (short circuit, broken track, ...) before plugging it on the Falcon.
I'll start the 2nd card once the first one is tested.

Great!

rpineau wrote:My guess is the Falcon is not going to start because of bad instruction in the TOS. But I'll put my logic analyzer on the address pin to see if the 68060 fetches the first few instruction.
I'll try to post a picture later today.
Rodolphe

Yes I was going to ask if you could check this while testing - a few successful fetching cycles could be a big clue. Assuming the 060 boots with caches off, it will be forced to fetch every few operations (instead of fetching a big chunk and then signing off) so there should be some external activity to see.

I still don't know how the AB gets as far as the GEM desktop without an TOS image or software so you might find it does boot.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Yes, that was my guess too regarding the caches.
AS for booting to the desktop, the 68040 has all the 68030 instruction, whereas the 68060 is missing some (software implemented in the Motorola's 68060_lib) which is why I think it might crash before reaching the desktop, but testing will tell.
If this is the case we might need to patch the TOS and program an EPROM for the testing. Something that change the PC pointer at the beginning of the TOS to the extra code (there is space at the end of the TOS) and then jump back to the regular TOS init.
I have 2x 27C4096 EPROM (100ns) so I can totally program one with the extra code (if we end up doing this I'll send you one with the card).
Once this is working we can program some 27C4096 OTP with the patched TOS for the people who make their own adapter (the OTP version are easy to find and only cost $7 and are available in 90ns and 55ns (same price).

Regards, Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:57 pm

rpineau wrote:Yes, that was my guess too regarding the caches.
AS for booting to the desktop, the 68040 has all the 68030 instruction, whereas the 68060 is missing some (software implemented in the Motorola's 68060_lib) which is why I think it might crash before reaching the desktop, but testing will tell.
If this is the case we might need to patch the TOS and program an EPROM for the testing. Something that change the PC pointer at the beginning of the TOS to the extra code (there is space at the end of the TOS) and then jump back to the regular TOS init.
I have 2x 27C4096 EPROM (100ns) so I can totally program one with the extra code (if we end up doing this I'll send you one with the card).
Once this is working we can program some 27C4096 OTP with the patched TOS for the people who make their own adapter (the OTP version are easy to find and only cost $7 and are available in 90ns and 55ns (same price).

Regards, Rodolphe

I believe these are the missing ones (from the 060 UM):

Code: Select all

DIVU.L <ea>,Dr:Dq 64/32 ⇒ 32r,32q
DIVS.L <ea>,Dr:Dq 64/32 ⇒ 32r,32q
MULU.L <ea>,Dr:Dq 32*32 ⇒ 64
MULS.L <ea>,Dr:Dq 32*32 ⇒ 64
MOVEP Dx,(d16,Ay) size = W or L
MOVEP (d16,Ay),Dx size = W or L
CHK2 <ea>,Rn size = B, W, or L
CMP2 <ea>,Rn size = B, W, or L
CAS2 Dc1:Dc2,Du1:Du2,(Rn1):(Rn2) size = W or L
CAS Dc,Du,<ea> size = W or L, misaligned <ea>

MOVEP is also missing from 68040 so it can probably be ignored. Some of the others are unlikely to be needed by TOS.

The multiply/divides are high risk though. Those could stop it.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I agree with you that the MUL and DIV are the dangerous ones so we'll see how far it goes (if I haven't made any hardware mistakes).

Regards, Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm

rpineau wrote:I agree with you that the MUL and DIV are the dangerous ones so we'll see how far it goes (if I haven't made any hardware mistakes).

Regards, Rodolphe

Any progress on this recently? Just curious.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Sorry about the lack of news.
I've been busy with work and my other hobby (astronomy).
I should have time this weekend to finish to test all the connection and I should be able to do the first test on the Falcon itself.

Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:05 pm

rpineau wrote:Sorry about the lack of news.
I've been busy with work and my other hobby (astronomy).
I should have time this weekend to finish to test all the connection and I should be able to do the first test on the Falcon itself.

Rodolphe

Well there's no hurry here. Astronomy is a good way to enjoy things (many of the sciences are!) so I don't blame you.

I just brought another Falcon mainboard back to life over the last couple of evenings, after mucho fiddly surfacemount soldering (COMBEL etc), so I've had my electronic 'fix' for this month at least :) Not to mention the effects on my eyesight staring at those tiny pins for hours on end...

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Doug (and all the other that are following this).
I finished doing the basic testing (VCC, VDD and GND, no short circuits so no danger to the AB040 and the Falcon, basic pin testing to make sure there are no obvious short circuit.).
I managed to remove and put back the 68060 on the card ... it's not easy and I used a CPU extractor (old type, like the one for i486). To put a 68060 on the card you will need to push HARD !!! I used a wood board under part of the card where the 060 is and put back the small heat-sink holder from the 040 and then pushed as hard as I could. Inserting the adapter on the AB040 on the other hand is easy and it just snap in (at least on mine).
The next step is to put back the AB060 (no longer and AB040 ;) ) in the Falcon and see if it starts. I'll probably won't have time to test that before next weekend.

Here are some picture of the adapter and the AB060 (you'll notice the hack to put the 74FCT157 SOIC-16 on the board... as I made it for a SO-16 version) :
040_060_adapter.jpg

AB040_with_Adapter.jpg

I will upload the revised Eagle files later (with a SOIC-16 for the 74FCT157).

Regards, Rodophe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 pm

rpineau wrote:The next step is to put back the AB060 (no longer and AB040 ;) ) in the Falcon and see if it starts. I'll probably won't have time to test that before next weekend.

:-) That's the exciting bit. Well, it's too much to assume it will work immediately but it will be interesting to see how far it gets...

If it's so difficult to insert the 68060 because of pin count, then probably it should be done only once and left there.

rpineau wrote:Here are some picture of the adapter and the AB060 (you'll notice the hack to put the 74FCT157 SOIC-16 on the board... as I made it for a SO-16 version) :

Heh - pity about the IC footprint but it's good that you managed to work around it without making a new board.

I had much pain repairing the very last Falcon MB I had lying here. I could not debug the fault from address or bus control lines - it did not look like any of the busmasters were 'stuck', all of the BR/BG/BGACK lines were high. After swapping over several chips I went back to the GALs as being central to some of the signal arbitration on the board (these are GALs I had reburned recently and I know they worked ok). I swapped them (again!) for GALs on another machine and it started to work! Closer inspection of one of the GAL sockets indicates somebody tried to solder a new socket before me as the solder points are uneven and the socket is slightly different. Probably was a dry joint or bad contact inside the socket. After all that soldering too :-( and I had already checked the GALs and inspected the GAL area before doing that.... but at least it works now and I got lots of soldering exercise....

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Doug.
I agree that the 68060 should probably be put in place once and left alone ... except that I have only one and 2 board to make :wink: .. one being for you.
As for the 74FCT157 footprint it was not to hard to work around. I certainly don't have your soldering skills (soldering Combel by hand !!!!!!! 8O ) but I can do that SMD size fairly easily.

I'll keep you posted on the results as soon as I give it a try.
Regards, Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 pm

So I put the 68060 card in the Falcon today.
It doesn't boot.
I used my logic analyzer (http://www.saleae.com/logic) to monitor some of the pins (using the AB040 bus and Falcon bus).
I used the RESET* signal as a trigger on low to high transition. I don't see any activity on A0-A3, TS*, F030_DACK*, F030_AS*.
If I put the 68040 back on the card, the Falcon boots and I see activity on these pins (so the 68060 card doesn't damage anything :) ).

so at least the power is Ok (I can measure 5V, 3.3V and GND continuity and level).
I'm going to keep debugging this but for now it looks like the 68060 is stuck in reset. It could be a contact issue between the AB040 and the 68060 card or any other thing. And as aside note, the 68060 is totally cold so that's also a good sign that nothing bad is going on.

Regards, Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:45 pm

So I have some better news ... the 68060 starts. Looks like my reset on the Falcon is flaky and doesn't always go back up to +5v and get stuck at 0v.
On the attached screenshot we can see the 68060 fetching data as it cycle through some of the addresses :
68060_boot.png

On strange thing is the DTACK no doing a lot in there (this one if from the Falcon connector so it's DTACK going to the F030 mother board. I assume the TA* is directly generated from the MACH210 to the 68040/68060 but I would have assume the Combel would generate DTACK* for each ROM access by the CPU.
SO at this point it looks like the card works to some level and there might be some instruction crashing the 68060 in the early stage of the TOS (I'll disassemble the TOS to check, or at least look at it in mon30).

I think I need to do some fixes on my Falcon mother board before I can move forward with this.
@Doug : I'll contact you directly to ship you this board as it seems to be safe to use with a AB040 and a Falcon. Given your soldering skills if we find some hardware issue I have no doubt you can fix them ;) .

Regards, Rodolphe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 pm

rpineau wrote:So I have some better news ... the 68060 starts.

Thats great! I can see healthy activity in your plot.

rpineau wrote:Looks like my reset on the Falcon is flaky and doesn't always go back up to +5v and get stuck at 0v.

TBH this also happens on my Falcon with AB fitted, in case that's useful information. It doesn't always come out of reset, holds a black screen.

rpineau wrote:On the attached screenshot we can see the 68060 fetching data as it cycle through some of the addresses :
On strange thing is the DTACK no doing a lot in there (this one if from the Falcon connector so it's DTACK going to the F030 mother board. I assume the TA* is directly generated from the MACH210 to the 68040/68060 but I would have assume the Combel would generate DTACK* for each ROM access by the CPU.

The DTACK might be happening rarely because the F030 bus doesn't yield very often. Although, it does look a bit suspicious.

rpineau wrote:SO at this point it looks like the card works to some level and there might be some instruction crashing the 68060 in the early stage of the TOS (I'll disassemble the TOS to check, or at least look at it in mon30).
I think I need to do some fixes on my Falcon mother board before I can move forward with this.

If it's crashing really early then it's possibly related to MMU instructions or MMU register moves - something like that. I don't imagine there would be a 64bit mul/div that early in the boot sequence. There are a few MMU and related ops though.

rpineau wrote:@Doug : I'll contact you directly to ship you this board as it seems to be safe to use with a AB040 and a Falcon. Given your soldering skills if we find some hardware issue I have no doubt you can fix them ;) .
Regards, Rodolphe

:) Ok thanks.

If it is crashing on 030 ROM code it will need a new ROM overlay of some kind to make progress. I don't know how early the cartridge ROM (e.g. autobooting diagnostic cart) is tested and executed during boot, but if it's before the crash it could be useful. I expect it happens really late though, after the CPU stuff has all been sorted out (and which is probably causing the crash).

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am

I was also thinking about using the cartridge port to allow for some easier debugging but I think it happens after the chips settings.

As for a new TOS, I have s the tool to program new ones so I can add some code at the end of the TOS and change the reset vector at the beginning of the TOS. It's hard to find eproms, but OPT ROM are easy to find and cheap ( less than $7 in 90ns and 55ns).

Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:50 am

So I disassembled the begining of the TOS and it jumps to the cartridge port very early in the process if a magic long is present at $FA0000 :

Code: Select all

E00000:   bra.s   $00E00030
E00002:   subi.b   #$E0,d4
E00006:   ori.b   #$E0,$00(a0,d0)
E0000C:   dc   $0000
E0000E:   or.l   d7,(a2)+
E00010:   dc   $00E0
E00012:   ori.b   #$E4,$24(a0,a1*4)
E00018:   movep   $1993(a0),d1
E0001C:   dc   $00FF
E0001E:   dc   $1A68
E00020:   dc   $0000
E00022:   dc   $56BA
E00024:   dc   $0000
E00026:   move.b   d7,$00(a0,d0)
E0002A:   bgt.s   $00E00010
E0002C:   ori.b   #$00,d0
E00030:   move   #$2700,sr
E00034:   move   $FFFF8006.w,d0
E00038:   reset
E0003A:   move   $FFFF8006.w,d0
E0003E:   move   #$0007,$FFFF8940.w
E00044:   cmpi.l   #$FA52235F,$00FA0000
E0004E:   bne.s   $00E0005A
E00050:   lea   $00E0005A(pc),a6
E00054:   jmp   $00FA0004
E0005A:   lea   $00E00064(pc),a6
E0005E:   jmp   $00E7B000

So we should be able to have something on the cartridge port doing the 68060 init before jumping back into the TOS.

Regards, Rodolphe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 am

Another option would be to install a software-controlled 030/AB switch. You can then boot using the 030, which sets up a 060-compatible TOS in RAM and then switch to the 060. Then you would also have the possibility to run games/demos/software on the 030 if you need that.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”