Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

displaced
Atari freak
Atari freak

Keyboard wire repair

Postby displaced » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:08 am

Hi all,

I had my Falcon opened again tonight to install a 68882 FPU (because, why not?) and hit a snag.

No fewer than four of the keyboard wires have broken off from the connector on the keyboard PCB side.

Any advice on how the best way to proceed? It looks like it might be possible to slightly lift the plastic tabs from each terminal and remove the pin. Then perhaps they could be re-crimped onto the loose wires.

Or am I best just desoldering the terminal block from the PCB and soldering the wires directly to the PCB and adding a bit of hot glue? If I remember rightly, that’s what my STFM’s keyboard is like.

Lastly, are the mobo/keyboard ends wired straight pin-to-pin (skipping pin 2). Oh, and out of curiosity, are STFM/Falcon030 keyboards interchangeable?

Thanks,
Chris

tommo
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Keyboard wire repair

Postby tommo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 pm

I checked the wires, they are indeed straight pin-to-pin.
I also lifed a black lip and pulled out a wire with camb , so it is easy to do. this is on the side which connect to the mainboard.
just use a small nail, also this can be used to lift the clamb that holds the wire.
This is hard but can be done.

if its broken on the keyboard side i do not know, i do not want to unscrew this to have a look.

suc-6 (good luck)

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:11 pm

Oh, and out of curiosity, are STFM/Falcon030 keyboards interchangeable?

Hi

Yes indeed, they are interchangeable!

:cheers:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

displaced
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby displaced » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:36 pm

All fixed.

I ended up removing the white connector entirely from the PCB, de-soldered the knackered terminals and cleaned up the holes and pads.

Then I cut and stripped the wires, pushed them through the holes and soldered. Finally added a bit of hot-glue to secure the wires at the back of the PCB. Working fine!

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”