CF cards partioning for TT with Storm-card

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

guus.assmann
Atari freak
Atari freak

CF cards partioning for TT with Storm-card

Postby guus.assmann » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Some help, pointers and considerations are welcome.
What I want to find out is an optimum in configuring the CF-cards that I can use on the TT.
I have a number of 4GB-cards.
And I would like to exchange software from a PC and maybe also with a Falcon.
So the card should have a partion for PC as well. Of course I can use the smart-swapping.
On a TT I don't need Tos 1.04 compatible of course.

How best to format the cards and what drivers do I need to use.
I do have HD-Driver 10.

BR/
Guus Assmann
Guus Assmann

Kippiis
Atarian
Atarian

Re: CF cards partioning for TT with Storm-card

Postby Kippiis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I wonder the same. Any ideas?

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:01 pm

You should have received a manual with the HD driver you purchased which explains everything. But from what I know, you cannot have a bootable Tos partition with windows byte swapping enabled. So you can't really use your IDE interface in this way. You can set up a CF card entirely to be swappable, or entirely Tos boot able, but not both at the same time.

For your use case scenario, you need to just use your IDE as your Tos boot system, then have either Lightning VME USB or Netusbee USB or Ultrasatan for swapping data.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:24 pm

mzry wrote:You should have received a manual with the HD driver you purchased which explains everything. But from what I know, you cannot have a bootable Tos partition with windows byte swapping enabled.

By enabling the "smart swap" feature on the Thunder IDE interface, one can in fact have a bootable TOS partition that is recognized on a Windows PC, too. Don't enable byte swapping while partitioning the CF card with HDDRUTIL, set the jumper for smart swap on the Thunder. Be sure to use HDDRIVER 10.14, as previous versions had issues while creating TOS&Windows compatible partitions under certain conditions.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 pm

Another alternative is to buy a dual IDE to CF adapter. You can then format the primary card for TOS and the secondary card as a PC compatible card.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”