Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

My fried falcon

Postby christos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Hello,
well, as you may have read I foolishly fried my falcon by plugging the floppy connector to the ct63 wrongly some time ago. Now that I am in pre vacations mode I had a chance to revisit it. First of all i found my original 4mb card and connected it.
Then I connected the falcon to a vga monitor that said the signal out of range. So joyfully I thought to check on a tv. So I get this pattern on the screen:
output.jpg

The only physical damage I see (on the top of the board) is this:
ajax.jpg

I wonder if it will be repairable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: My fried falcon

Postby mpattonm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:05 pm

Quite possibly :) Do you care to send a motherboard in so I can have a look?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't want to be too pessimistic and would love to be corrected but bear in mind that you pulled +12V instead of +5V into the Falcon. A friend of mine has done equally careless mistake and R.Czuba told him that chances are very slim at best.

There's a thread in the Falcon Facebook group, one guy is repairing the damage of what seems to be a very similar case and man, the scope of his repair is beyond belief. ;)

On the other hand, if mpattonm manages to repair it with not so much effort, it's a very good news to all the 'fried' Falcon owners.

EDIT: found the original email, this is what Rodolphe had to say about it: "Some custom chips like VIDEL, COMBEL, and GALs may ne destroyed by +12V on +5V circuitries..."

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:27 pm

@mpattonm, thank you, I might take you up on your offer. I am borrowing a falcon diagnostic cart from a friend to see if I can assess the damage. Then it's just a matter to see if it's economical to fix it.

@mikro, yeah I know. Still it was nice seeing something on the screen. I still hope for a falcon clone though :)
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:29 pm

That be be a very long process of troubleshooting and debugging, i think the test cart won't do much chris, but hey give it a try buddy! Good luck
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:56 pm

I say have a go at it. The machine is worth a lot of money so it's worth to at least have a look at it!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

mpattonm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mpattonm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 am

mikro wrote:On the other hand, if mpattonm manages to repair it with not so much effort, it's a very good news to all the 'fried' Falcon owners.

I never said its gonna be easy, just quite possible.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am

Great if another bird gets to fly again.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Rustynutt
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 pm

christos wrote:Hello,
well, as you may have read I foolishly fried my falcon by plugging the floppy connector to the ct63 wrongly some time ago. Now that I am in pre vacations mode I had a chance to revisit it. First of all i found my original 4mb card and connected it.
Then I connected the falcon to a vga monitor that said the signal out of range. So joyfully I thought to check on a tv. So I get this pattern on the screen:
output.jpg

The only physical damage I see (on the top of the board) is this:
ajax.jpg

I wonder if it will be repairable.

5 years age did something similar. I'd misaligned the ST RAM card while installing the CT63. Unfortunately had a PC supply connected that didn't trip due to it's high rating. Took both the MB and card out.
I had the VIDEL, COMBEL and CPU replaced without success.
This one started cooking just to the left of the Falcon power connector before catching the mistake. The ST RAM card was fine. Without a scope, all I really could do was ring out traces, and as it's multilayer, proves difficult.
The diagnostic cart doesn't really help in these situations.
From what I've seen here is first thing the experienced users do is see if the CPU starts, and gather that indicates it's reading ROM.
Traced most every 5/12v lines, power off for continuity, didn't think at the time to check resistance of said to ground. I guess that's one way to check for a short, which I'm sure you know Chris. From hacking on Falcons over 20 years, the damn things will boot with a lot of things bad. One of Rodolphe's quotes to me once was "caps" don't care, so took that in mind to check lastly.
I've over the years accidentally connected the floppy cable inverted, not long, but have never damaged a board doing so (since started using a permanent marker on the top of ribbon cables!) If an IKB or something was bad, the cart would catch that. If the cart doesn't work, board isn't even getting past that check to boot from cartridge port. Kind of narrows it down a bit, but know this is pretty basic stuff here. Reading through the sequence of TOS initialization can get a basic road map to follow.
Know you have the tools. dml has said he's been repairing Falcons on the side for some while too, as well as the offer in this thread (sorry can't see usr name in the editor).

One thing I've forgotten to mention, on two occasions with dead Falcons, turned out to be one of the BUS GAL popped for some reason. There's are a simple fix. Might try burning a set to try. Forgot now which U number it was, both times it was the same GAL I do remember.

sety
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sety » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:17 am

mikro wrote:There's a thread in the Falcon Facebook group, one guy is repairing the damage of what seems to be a very similar case and man, the scope of his repair is beyond belief. ;)

I have been following that. The poor bastard. Replacing all those chips at once, it would be almost impossible to tell what faults you have eliminated from what faults you have introduced.

The very first thing I did when I got my CT60 was polarised the power connector. It just looked like a heart breaking accident waiting to happen. It was so bloody hard to find that I also stopped wearing metal framed glasses and started wearing a dog strap again- something I haven't done in 21 years :D

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”