Back after many years

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Desdyn
Atarian
Atarian

Back after many years

Postby Desdyn » Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 am

Way back in 1996 I shut the doors on my Atari computer business here in the states. I boxed a lot of the things up and put them in storage. While looking for something other than computer parts I found my personal Falcon 030. I had put my system into a Wizztronics Falcon Rack. I searched through the rest of the boxes labeled Atari and found my original Falcon box and case with the old power supply.

With that being said what do I need to do to get the machine up and running? It is still as clean as it was when I boxed it up, and turns on when I use the original power supply. But I get no video signal. I tried some of the Atari monitors but alas none were working. I kept looking for my other adapters and finally found my adpaters for a vga monitor, including a multisync gizmo, two vga adapters and what looks to be an adapter to give even higher graphics. But still no video signal. I remember that the monitors of today will not recognize the rgb signal unless a multisync monitor is used. But I was thinking the vga adapter will send a 640x480 signal.

So I began looking through the other boxes and found my field tech manuals for TT, Mega, Mega STe, ST all of them, Stacy, Portfolio, Lynx,Jaguar even 800 and older but not my falcon. It has been so long, I am afraid to go much further without the fear of damaging the Falcon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Steve

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Back after many years

Postby mikro » Sun May 06, 2018 8:21 am

Hi Desdyn,

welcome back! :)

The troubles with monitor most likely mean that your NVRAM has died and it's producing incorrect video output. Can you connect an TV/RGB monitor? Does the floppy spin when powered on?

Many field manuals can be find here: http://dev-docs.org (or, currently mirrored here: https://files.sync.wtf/www.dev-docs.org), incl. the Falcon one. If you have something which is not there, don't be shy and publish them somewhere. :)

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Sun May 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Steve,

I'm glad you found your way here!
Hope you're able to resolve the issues with your Falcon! If nothing of what I suggested in the e-mail works, let me know!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo MORE.

Desdyn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Desdyn » Sun May 06, 2018 10:10 pm

I tried all the things you discussed.

- the Falcon Rack PSU is dead as well.

- the original Falcon PSU powers the keyboard and fan but to no floppy access.

- I will remove the motherboard out of the falcon rack to back sure nothing underneath is causing issues.

Still get a black screen / or no video signal.

Steve

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 am

Hi Steve,
I won’t cloud the diagnostic picture with my lack of technical knowledge.

Just saying welcome back.
:-)
BAMA

Desdyn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Desdyn » Wed May 09, 2018 2:00 am

Got the Falcon up with Daniel Hedbergs help but it is limping. So I am searching through the boxes for software now. I will keep you posted

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Thu May 10, 2018 12:37 am

Desdyn wrote:Got the Falcon up with Daniel Hedbergs help but it is limping. So I am searching through the boxes for software now. I will keep you posted

I’m not surprised that Daniel helped you. He’s been kind to help me and others here. He’s a Role Model Atarian!
:cheers:
:-)
BAMA

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”