ide cd rom or cd burner on falcon?!

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

moondog/.tSCc.

ide cd rom or cd burner on falcon?!

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Sun May 30, 2004 10:58 am

just a little question, are there any experiences made in that way, to connect a cd rom or even a cd burner to the ide port, even with an external power supply as i doubt the falcon can offer enough energy by itself here...

greetings and thanx

eric
Undercover Magascene - observing the Atari scene since 1993

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: ide cd rom or cd burner on falcon?!

Postby cb » Sun May 30, 2004 11:54 am

moondog/.tSCc. wrote:just a little question, are there any experiences made in that way, to connect a cd rom or even a cd burner to the ide port, even with an external power supply as i doubt the falcon can offer enough energy by itself here...

greetings and thanx

eric

Hi Moondog,
i have a 3.5 IDE CD writer connected to my Falcon. I use the Wizztronics 2.5 to 3.5 adapter on the internal IDE port. It gives 2 IDE 3.5 connections.
I use SPIN as a driver for the CD writer, but I never tried to burn a CD with it, I use it only as a CD-Rom player.
For power, I just connected it to the ATX psu needed by my CT60.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

earx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby earx » Mon May 31, 2004 6:03 pm

Hey,

I tried a yamaha cd-writer on my falcon.. I store CD images on the IDE HD and had the writer on SCSI. This gave me 4x speed. I burned about 150 CDR's without a single error using CD-LAB by Francois Galea. When reading from CDR to HDD I got about 4.2x speed *g*

moondog/.tSCc.

Postby moondog/.tSCc. » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:55 am

hi cb and pieter

thanx for your information, cb, so you have an external power supply or better not the original one anymore, the question is, if the original board could supply enough power for a cd rom or even burner, i have a cd rom drive laying around and even an 2,5" to 3,5" ide adapter, problematic is
that i then can´t connect my 2,5" ide hd anymore, if i use the adapter,
or is there another possibility then?

pieter, hehe, i know about scsi cd rom drives, but that isn´t the way i want to go, as then i had to start from scratch as i lost all my scsi stuff as some peeps stole my scsi syquest drive... i know that scsi runs well, but my special interest goes into the ide corner, thanx anyway, mate!

greetings, eric
Undercover Magascene - observing the Atari scene since 1993

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:18 pm

moondog/.tSCc. wrote:thanx for your information, cb, so you have an external power supply or better not the original one anymore, the question is, if the original board could supply enough power for a cd rom or even burner, i have a cd rom drive laying around and even an 2,5" to 3,5" ide adapter, problematic is
that i then can´t connect my 2,5" ide hd anymore, if i use the adapter,
or is there another possibility then?

I suppose the original psu can support one 3.5 IDE drive... My 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adapter is supposed to work even on standard Falcons with standard psus...

With the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter you can connect two 3.5 drives, or one 2.5 IDE drive and one 3.5 IDE peripheral.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

bobnsam
Atariator
Atariator

2.5 to 3.5 adapator

Postby bobnsam » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:35 pm

hey guys, can anyone tell me where to get the adapator?

I can only seem to find a 3.5 to 2.5 for using laptop hard disks on a PC

Thanks

Jason

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:58 pm

I got mine from 16/32 Systems in the UK:

http://www.1632-sales.zenwebhosting.com/acatalog/

I don't know if it's still being sold there.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

bobnsam
Atariator
Atariator

Still trying to get this working ........

Postby bobnsam » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:54 pm

I feel like a NEWBIE!!!

Years of using my Atari ST - now years without using it and I am really struggling to re-learn it all :roll:

So I have my Falcon set up, an external CD drive, a JAZ drive. Cables everywhere!

I need to set up CBDH (as its free - and all my HDDRIVER versions are demos) and Spin I believe - I have both - but I am little rusty on exactly what to put where - and what to configure?

As I couldn't get anything working with the CD ROM - I swapped my external CD drive for my JAZ drive - and as it booted it recognised the JAZ drive - and I added new drives to the desktop - but when clicking i couldn't access it.

I would be really grateful for any help you could give. If its easier to to email me - "jc@havendesign.freeuk.com".

Thanks

Jason

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:07 pm

try ScsciTools insted of CBHD

for CBHD like here http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9002#9002 for a Zip drive
use CBHD + BigDos for your JAZ
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”