ED (2.88mb) Floppy Upgrade for Falcon

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ED (2.88mb) Floppy Upgrade for Falcon

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 pm

frank.lukas wrote:ED Kit 3+ from MW Computer -> http://www.stcarchiv.de/tos1993/02/ed-kit

In DM :) Those were the good old currency conversion days for USD :)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 pm

ctirad wrote:
Greenious wrote:Well, the Falcon service manual p.27 mentions switch block u57 pad 5 is used to enable "quad density", and the floppy connector on the F030 got 2 mode select pins. (p.39)

Exactly. In Falcon the base clock for the Ajax is taken from the 32MHz DSP oscillator. This clock goes thru SDMA where is either divided by 2 (16MHz) for the HD or by the 4 (8MHz) for DD or kept undivided for the ED. The solder U57 solder jumper is most probabaly a typo in the manual. It shloud be U47. It is located on the left side of the board between PSU and the enhanced joystick ports.

I allways wanted to try ED drive in the Falcon, but I've never had the ED drive to test. I know it is pretty useles nowdays and probabaly also back then, but I'd like to know anyway, just for the record. ;)

Do you mean clock from SDMA 32MHz clock? Thought the DSP runs asynchronous with independent clock.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Do you mean clock from SDMA 32MHz clock? Thought the DSP runs asynchronous with independent clock.

It does, but why would you add another oscillator for that if you already got a good 32MHz clock? Makes no sense at all, at any level.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm

AtariZoll wrote:By your logic it would be fun

Thank you for proving my point.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Greenious wrote:
Rustynutt wrote:Do you mean clock from SDMA 32MHz clock? Thought the DSP runs asynchronous with independent clock.

It does, but why would you add another oscillator for that if you already got a good 32MHz clock? Makes no sense at all, at any level.

Because I run my DSP at 50MHz. Unless the AJAX can deal with that, figure it pulls the 32MHz from the SDMA clock, which is never changed for speeders.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 pm

I'll have to pull out the schematics.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Plus, when you mod the DSP, typically the clock trace is cut to tie in. There would be no 32MHz clock present.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm

And my floppy works :)

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Rustynutt wrote:And my floppy works :)

The ED drive? Awesome! Did you get an option to format ED in the Desktop or do you have to use 3rd party software for that?
You may have the only working Falcon030 equipped with an ED drive!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:21 pm

dhedberg wrote:

The ED drive? Awesome! Did you get an option to format ED in the Desktop or do you have to use 3rd party software for that?

No no no no no. We are just discussing where the clock comes from :)

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Rustynutt wrote:
dhedberg wrote:

No no no no no. We are just discussing where the clock comes from :)

Oh, now I see... I thought for a second that you were the original poster. My bad. I'm tired and should go to bed. :oops:
Sorry for the confusion!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Rusty, I'm pretty sure with DSP overclock the 32mhz crystal is still installed. It is just disconnected from the DSP and a 50mhz crystal is installed elsewhere. The CT2 has an onboard 50mhz crystal feed and the trace is interrupted from the 32mhz and replaced with the CT2's (or other overclock) feed. Unless it is DIY.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Plus, when you mod the DSP, typically the clock trace is cut to tie in. There would be no 32MHz clock present.

When you accelerate the DSP by cutting the trace between original 32MHz oscillator and DSP clock and feed the DSP by another clock, the original 32MHz oscillator still feeds the SDMA/AJAX (and also RS232, IIRC) by another trace.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Atari030 wrote:Rusty, I'm pretty sure with DSP overclock the 32mhz crystal is still installed. It is just disconnected from the DSP and a 50mhz crystal is installed elsewhere. The CT2 has an onboard 50mhz crystal feed and the trace is interrupted from the 32mhz and replaced with the CT2's (or other overclock) feed. Unless it is DIY.

Was re-installing an Eagle Sonic last night looking through the schematics.
As far as I can tell, neither the DMA or AJAX defines the AJAX clock. I do see the CPU clock in and DSP clock into the DMA, AJAX just documents the clock as free running. I don't know any thing about the inner workings of the DMA, have to concede:). AIRC from last night (at 3am), the DMA is getting Clock A, same going to the FPU (what I was boosting last night). Right, the DMA is getting the 32MHz DSP. Still, it's not clear there, but all I do is solder :)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 pm

Rustynutt wrote:
Atari030 wrote:Rusty, I'm pretty sure with DSP overclock the 32mhz crystal is still installed. It is just disconnected from the DSP and a 50mhz crystal is installed elsewhere. The CT2 has an onboard 50mhz crystal feed and the trace is interrupted from the 32mhz and replaced with the CT2's (or other overclock) feed. Unless it is DIY.

Was re-installing an Eagle Sonic last night looking through the schematics.
As far as I can tell, neither the DMA or AJAX defines the AJAX clock. I do see the CPU clock in and DSP clock into the DMA, AJAX just documents the clock as free running. I don't know any thing about the inner workings of the DMA, have to concede:). AIRC from last night (at 3am), the DMA is getting Clock A, same going to the FPU (what I was boosting last night). Right, the DMA is getting the 32MHz DSP. Still, it's not clear there, but all I do is solder :)

Edit Add: Thinking (way) back, one time did replace the DSP oscillator with a 50MHz. Nothing worked after that :)
So yet, senility is setting in.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:25 am

The 32 MHz goes to the DSP pin 74 (named EXTAL) and DMA pin 10 (named DSP_32_I with a signal named DSP_32M going to it).
When you overclock the DSP, you cut the 32MHz line between the oscillator and the DSP, then wire a new oscillator (50MHz) directly to the DSP, leaving the 32MHz to DMA untouched so that all other system function relying on this 32MHz still work.
Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”