How many Falcons were sold?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

User avatar
Hazzardus
Atari User
Atari User
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 pm
Location: Hove Beach

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Hazzardus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Hazzardus wrote:
catmando wrote:I've counted 32 on ebay since afew years ago but I think there were more


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know why but this made me laugh out loud and scare the cat.

Sort of unrelated, but I got my first Falcon in 1999 off eBay, paid £90 for it with a Mega ST 2 with working monochrome monitor and 3 atari mice, no keyboard with the MST though.

It all works out though, because I sold my original boxed 1040STFM with all my boxed games (over 200) + 1000+ floppies and ST format 1-46 (only missing ST Format 6) on ebay for the grand total of £14.20 in 2002. Thank god it was collection only, but it went to a good home at least.

User avatar
Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Mindthreat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Hazzardus wrote:
Hazzardus wrote:
catmando wrote:I've counted 32 on ebay since afew years ago but I think there were more


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know why but this made me laugh out loud and scare the cat.

Sort of unrelated, but I got my first Falcon in 1999 off eBay, paid £90 for it with a Mega ST 2 with working monochrome monitor and 3 atari mice, no keyboard with the MST though.

It all works out though, because I sold my original boxed 1040STFM with all my boxed games (over 200) + 1000+ floppies and ST format 1-46 (only missing ST Format 6) on ebay for the grand total of £14.20 in 2002. Thank god it was collection only, but it went to a good home at least.


The first Falcon I purchased was also in 1999 but I'm in the U.S. and these machines seem to sell for more here and you just got an amazing deal! If memory serves me correctly, it was $650 shipped but was loaded at 14MB and had a BlowUpFX.

Purchased a 2nd Falcon years later but it had a Centubro-II in it? Think this one was around $700 and it made the DSP super wonky so outside of strictly a few audio programs, it didn't seem to be a very stable machine so I ridded that off and a chiptune guy bought it.

Then I lucked out and got not one but two Falcons - one was a Bell+Howell unit kind of rough condition but work perfect for $200 I ended up giving to a friend and the other mint one was my pride and joy, perfectly stock and ran amazingly that cost me around $900 in 2002. That's the Falcon I wish I never would have had to sell but, life happens and bills need paid.

Can't believe it's been almost 13-14 years and I'll be getting another Falcon of the C-Lab variant soon that I'm very eager and excited to really use. If I could ever find a truly mint condition, fully loaded U.S. stock Falcon, I would certainly see that being worth the $1,200 range for sure. With a nice SC1435 to boot with it. =D but I suppose it's really hard to top the best of the best of a C-Lab Mk.2
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

User avatar
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Atari030 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Not a good time to tell everyone my second Falcon cost $50? Back around 2000ish. It had a cooked accelerator and a couple of broken traces. I bought it for spares and got it working.

User avatar
Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Mindthreat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Atari030 wrote:Not a good time to tell everyone my second Falcon cost $50? Back around 2000ish. It had a cooked accelerator and a couple of broken traces. I bought it for spares and got it working.


That's awesome you got it working again, congrats! =D great deal for a fixer!
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

User avatar
Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Omikronman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 pm

The numbers I have still in mind were around 14.000 untits of the Falcon030 sold in Europe.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Omikronman wrote:The numbers I have still in mind were around 14.000 untits of the Falcon030 sold in Europe.

That's from the ST-Computer interview, quoting Bob Gleadow's numbers. He said 13,000 - 14,000, Czuba said 10,000 - 12,000. Not much of a difference.

User avatar
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Atari030 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:18 pm

It is amazing to think that number is so low. I can remember seeing a Falcon in toys R us, here in Melbourne. I fell in love with Falcon's the first time I used one and had to have one.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 pm

The sad thing is that the current number must be scaringly low, too. I can think of several "purges": breaking the unit after use in the 90s, trashing around the 2000s (yes, there were people who would just bring it to a recycle centre), then of course all the broken units due to mounting accelerator/graphics cards, units broken in present years due to age, ...

I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about 2000 - 3000 active units (I don't count those in the attic as they can be already broken).

User avatar
Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Mindthreat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 am

mikro wrote:The sad thing is that the current number must be scaringly low, too. I can think of several "purges": breaking the unit after use in the 90s, trashing around the 2000s (yes, there were people who would just bring it to a recycle centre), then of course all the broken units due to mounting accelerator/graphics cards, units broken in present years due to age, ...

I wouldn't be surprised if we are talking about 2000 - 3000 active units (I don't count those in the attic as they can be already broken).


That number is probably very accurate but if so and for such a modern day, connected world - where the hell is everyone? Active users may be in the 500-1,000 range?
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

User avatar
TheNameOfTheGame
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Almost Heaven, West Virginia

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:32 am

I wonder how many Falcons are owned by users here. I'm thinking maybe 100-200 hundred? Several of us have more than one also.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby mikro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 am

Mindthreat wrote:where the hell is everyone?

Fermi paradox :-) On a serious note, it's really strange. I could understand that all the ST/E users are hidden because they have their ST for playing games, maybe even still from floppies but Falcon users? What games?

If we assume that everyone demoscene aware is known to "the public" and that there are no games, the only remaining category is applications. Maybe some musicians? But so many that they surpass normal users by one (two?) thousand?

But now I think about it, there are many semi-active people -- I personally know at least 3-4 people who occasionally use the Falcon but are not active on any forum at all. Maybe there are even tens of users who think Atari is totally dead and don't bother even googling for some community.

User avatar
Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Mindthreat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 am

mikro wrote:
Mindthreat wrote:where the hell is everyone?

Fermi paradox :-) On a serious note, it's really strange. I could understand that all the ST/E users are hidden because they have their ST for playing games, maybe even still from floppies but Falcon users? What games?

If we assume that everyone demoscene aware is known to "the public" and that there are no games, the only remaining category is applications. Maybe some musicians? But so many that they surpass normal users by one (two?) thousand?

But now I think about it, there are many semi-active people -- I personally know at least 3-4 people who occasionally use the Falcon but are not active on any forum at all. Maybe there are even tens of users who think Atari is totally dead and don't bother even googling for some community.


Over the course of the last some 16-years, I've never met another person in my entire life, by chance, who owned or owns a Falcon or even ST for that matter. Granted, I'm in a cornfield of a state in Indiana but still. I drove 60+ miles one weekend to meet-up with a group of older gentlemen who used Atari computers back in like 2004 and that's when they were retiring their Atari club. It was nice to meet them though. I don't count subjecting myself to a vintage computer or gaming festival who happens to own a Falcon chance, but even then I can't say I've ran across anyone who was like "Yeah, I still have one!"
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby mikro » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:49 am

Mindthreat wrote:Over the course of the last some 16-years, I've never met another person in my entire life, by chance, who owned or owns a Falcon or even ST for that matter. Granted, I'm in a cornfield of a state in Indiana but still. I drove 60+ miles one weekend to meet-up with a group of older gentlemen who used Atari computers back in like 2004 and that's when they were retiring their Atari club. It was nice to meet them though. I don't count subjecting myself to a vintage computer or gaming festival who happens to own a Falcon chance, but even then I can't say I've ran across anyone who was like "Yeah, I still have one!"

I had similar feeling when arrived to Australia (especially 'the cow state' which Queensland is often titled to) but over the time I have met quite a few nice fellows, some of them active here on AF, some completely "off the grid".

Now I'm going to Tasmania for a while and guess what, even there I know of 2-3 people with an ST. :D

User avatar
Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Atari030 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06 am

Tassie used to have a few Atarian's. Fujination springs to mind. Melbourne has half a dozen that I know of and only two have Falcons.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby vido » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 am

I will describe my situation. I own a Falcon with CT63+SuperVidel+Ethernat but as I didnt use it I lended it to my friend who allready has 1 or 2 Falcons to use it. He (Swe) is not active on the forum any more as he has so little time but he is still true Atarian. I go a "comfort" way with my FireBee as I dont have much time to fidle with the computers. I still own Milan 060 and TT + some other Atari consoles, ...

If I judge by my example there are people with their Falcons hoping they will find time to play with it again but they would use an Atari computer right away if there would be capable enough and simple to set up networked computer.

So ... I guess there are may Falcons waiting to bettery days ...

User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby DarkLord » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:27 pm

Mindthreat wrote:Over the course of the last some 16-years, I've never met another person in my entire life, by chance, who owned or owns a Falcon or even ST for that matter. Granted, I'm in a cornfield of a state in Indiana but still. I drove 60+ miles one weekend to meet-up with a group of older gentlemen who used Atari computers back in like 2004 and that's when they were retiring their Atari club. It was nice to meet them though. I don't count subjecting myself to a vintage computer or gaming festival who happens to own a Falcon chance, but even then I can't say I've ran across anyone who was like "Yeah, I still have one!"


Well, I'm not all that far from you, if you're in Indiana. I'm down here in Prestonsburg, KY. I actually used to live in Indiana, when I was growing up. Place called Silver Lake, not far from Wabash, Fort Wayne, etc. Used to go to the Fort Wayne zoo all the time. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

User avatar
Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:39 am
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby Mindthreat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:49 am

DarkLord wrote:
Mindthreat wrote:Over the course of the last some 16-years, I've never met another person in my entire life, by chance, who owned or owns a Falcon or even ST for that matter. Granted, I'm in a cornfield of a state in Indiana but still. I drove 60+ miles one weekend to meet-up with a group of older gentlemen who used Atari computers back in like 2004 and that's when they were retiring their Atari club. It was nice to meet them though. I don't count subjecting myself to a vintage computer or gaming festival who happens to own a Falcon chance, but even then I can't say I've ran across anyone who was like "Yeah, I still have one!"


Well, I'm not all that far from you, if you're in Indiana. I'm down here in Prestonsburg, KY. I actually used to live in Indiana, when I was growing up. Place called Silver Lake, not far from Wabash, Fort Wayne, etc. Used to go to the Fort Wayne zoo all the time. :)


Nice to know someone of common interest is somewhat near by :cheers: any other Atari-users that you know of near you?

:)
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

User avatar
DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:06 pm
Location: Prestonsburg, KY - USA
Contact:

Re: How many Falcons were sold?

Postby DarkLord » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Haven't heard much from him lately, but "Phantom", Barry Shortridge,
lives at Mouthcard?, Kentucky, if I recall correctly. I actually bought the
base model STacy from him that that I used for all my Pak 68/3 stuff. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520


Social Media

     

Return to “Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests