PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD, Google Cloud Print & parallel port redirector

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD, Google Cloud Print & parallel port redirector

Postby joska » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:54 pm

My successrate with Ataris and modern printers (either via lpd or dumping PCL-output directly) as so far been 0%. Older printers works better, but if I still had an older printer that worked...

The only way I've been able to print to my current printer is to use the NVDI5 PCL printerdriver, print to a file, convert the file to PDF (or images, but PDF is more handy) and then print it. Not even the "pro" HP inkjet at work understands PCL, atleast not the PCL produced by NVDI5.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: PH Easy Remote Print - RAW, LPD, Google Cloud Print & parallel port redirector

Postby wongck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

That's why I liked Google cloud print.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorstenOtto » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:57 pm

wongck wrote:Because there are already server on Windows/Linux/OSX that the Atari can talk to for printing called lpd.
The Atari can also talk to printers directly.

But that does not solve the problem of the driver. LPD (or CUPS) just provide a networking interface. The output produced by the Atari-programs must still match something that the printer understands.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:01 pm

...which is why I suggest to use a server on a modern computer to transform the output to something modern printers can handle, instead of limiting the choice of printer to something the Atari can handle.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:48 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:But that does not solve the problem of the driver. LPD (or CUPS) just provide a networking interface. The output produced by the Atari-programs must still match something that the printer understands.

joska wrote:...which is why I suggest to use a server on a modern computer to transform the output to something modern printers can handle, instead of limiting the choice of printer to something the Atari can handle.

Precisely.
That's why I like and uses Google Cloud Print as Google just becomes the "printer driver" and can handle all modern printer.
Sure it is limited as it does not understand GEM Meta formats but at least stuff like text, pdf, standard graphics it knows.
It's a pity that they are closing it down.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am

The point is that you can make your own "Cloud Print". Software to batch convert PS and PCL to PDF already exists for all major operating systems, it's "just" a matter of creating a simple server that receives print data in form of PCL or PS from the Atari, convert it (using existing software) and then print the resulting PDF.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:24 pm

joska wrote:My successrate with Ataris and modern printers (either via lpd or dumping PCL-output directly) as so far been 0%. Older printers works better, but if I still had an older printer that worked...

So i had slightly better success rate.
These are from my Epson L4160 wireless colour inkjet printer - using the example page from Papyrus.
Attached the scanned output from Atari sending to the printer using pherp with parallel port redirection.
The black and white comes out OK but colour does not.
I am using the highest model Epson colour printer available in NVDI.
The issue, I think, is that this printer expects ESC/P-R for inkjet while NVDI uses ESC/P2, guess that R for raster colour graphics.
Output to my network connected black & white laser printer (HP M401) also looks good.

Only having some issue with colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”