Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

FTP server for the Atari?

Postby dhedberg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Hello,

I just successfully equipped my Falcon030 with an EtherNEC adapter and would like to have a way to transfer files from my PC to the Atari, where the actual file transfer is issued on the PC, i.e., I want to tell my PC to transfer a file which is then received by the Atari. Are there any FTP servers available for the Atari? What are the requirements? Any other proposed solutions would be of interested and very much appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Daniel
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: FTP server for the Atari?

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 am

dhedberg wrote:Any other proposed solutions would be of interested and very much appreciated as well.

May be one of these methods will help:
https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... -the-atari
wiki/index.php?title=Internet_Access
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Latz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:45 am

Hi,
i only know ftpserver for MiNT (ftpd), but there are several FTP-Clients for Atari.
Do you use Windo.. on PC or Linux?
I run sftpd (server) on my Ubuntu PC here and "Litchi" as client on my Falcon,
this is faster than Falcon as server and PC as client.
Other Atari-clients are "gapftp", "aFTP", DraconisFTP, MiNT commandline ftp, and many more.
Litchi, aFTP, gapftp are working good with TOS+STinG as network.
With MiNT as OS, you have the choice between many communication methods
(with Falcon as Server):
- FTP Server (ftpd)
- TELNET server (telnetd)
- NFS server (nfsd)
- SSH server (sshd)
- WEBserver (Apache)
Sure there are clients for all of these, too.
Hope this helps a bit,
Latz
Falcon/CT60 90MHz, 14+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 32GB CF card, DVD-RW.
Falcon/CT63 95MHz, 4+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 16GB IDE CF card, CD-RW.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am

There is a simple FTP-server for STiNG. It works under plain TOS (with STiK or STiNG installed).
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:22 am

FTP_SERV.zip

I think that is the program I used on my falcon with EtherNEC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Hey, Daniel, after that long time I found the "Willies Adventures" floppy disks you sent me years ago. I can´t remember if I ever wrote back *urgh* O.o but I wonder if you have finished that game. I did also try it again with hatari some days ago. It still feels great in play. :)

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:37 pm

I think that the best way is to setup an ftp server on the pc and then access that through an ftp client on the atari. If you are on windows i'd suggest filezilla but if you are on linux you'd need something like pureftpd but it's not close to the ease of use of filezilla.
On the atari side you can use either the aftp client or litchi.

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 pm

christos wrote:I think that the best way is to setup an ftp server on the pc and then access that through an ftp client on the atari. If you are on windows i'd suggest filezilla but if you are on linux you'd need something like pureftpd but it's not close to the ease of use of filezilla.
On the atari side you can use either the aftp client or litchi.

Hey ya chris!, thats what im using Filezilla server on PC Windoze, and PureFTP server on Mac and using aFTP on Atari side to acess both servers but i frequently use more DHClient with SharityLight, (thanks to wongck's tutorial's) its a matter of drag and drop! easy!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for all informative and helpful replies! Appreciate it! I'm trying out STinG along with the FTP server posted by exxos right now. Thanks exxos! I searched a long time without finding this! I may considering installing MiNT as well to try out some more of your options, but I think that may be a little bit overkill for me.

I set up an Atari cross-development environment on the PC a while ago and have been using Hatari until now, but I need a smooth way of transferring files to the Falcon so I can start testing my code on real hardware. That's the reason why I bought the EtherNEC adapter in the first place and if possible I would like the Atari set up to be as simple as possible for this purpose, i.e., use regular TOS with a FTP server running in the background. However, running the FTP server in the background does not seem to be possible with the FTP server provided by exxos?

Thanks again for all your help,
Daniel
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:59 am

Daniel,

I faced similar troubles and then I coded something as a home cooked ftp server. It works like this:

(Atari side)

- AUTO contains mint.prg only
- mint.prg loads ethernec driver
- mint.cnf contains basic network setup
- mint.cnf executes my server which listens for basic commands like "list", "receive", "execute"
- no other stuff (long names, full mint setup, gem desktop, ...) needed

(PC side)

- I do everything in my favorite tools (editor, cross compiler etc)
- when built, I execute something as "msbclient receive ~/atari/projects/test/test.tos /d/test.tos && msbclient run /d/test.tos"

If there's a crash / freeze -> no big deal, just push reset. If everything's fine, I just exit the test app. Much faster than the usual FTP hassle. Drop me a mail if interested.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Crazy! I just started implementing a "protocol" like this myself to be able to do what you describe, and now you say it's already been done! GREAT! :D
I'll send you a PM.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 am

Just for the records, the latest FTP-Server for Sting/Stik from Vassilis is 1.09 (faster than the posted 1.05) and the website is here: http://users.otenet.gr/~papval/
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Latz wrote:With MiNT as OS, you have the choice between many communication methods
(with Falcon as Server):
- FTP Server (ftpd)
- TELNET server (telnetd)
- NFS server (nfsd)
- SSH server (sshd)
- WEBserver (Apache)
Sure there are clients for all of these, too.
Hope this helps a bit,
Latz

Sorry to bump this old thread. Where would I find these servers for download? I want to add ftpd to BeePi. :cheers:

paulwratt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulwratt » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:33 am

TNOTG: I'm writing this from BeePi, there is installed:
/usr/sbin/httpd
/usr/sbin/sshd

"apachectl start" is the last thing run in "/etc/rc.d/rc.net", but it does not work for me. That might have something to do with my network (WiFi - wpa-roam in wpa_supplicant.conf), but I have few different OS's and I cant get BeePi networking to be 100% (I also have my own WiFi'd Minibian, and Amibian)

the others, can be installed via the EasyMiNT RPM Installer, or via command line "rpm -i package.rpm". They are .RPM packages on the SpareMiNT package site/page.

or you can check kurobox for servers

I also suggest you read CK Wongs atari networking pages too

with aranym, it is better to use underlying OS to provide the server, and map destination into Aranym/MiNT, say /home/ftp (or just /home = /h = H:\), which would be "/home/pi/host_fs/ftp" on the Raspbian side

there are half a dozen different ftp deamons for Raspbian. note you can sftp into a sshd server

BTW: I presume its SpareMiNT, and not GentooMiNT

Paul

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:52 am

paulwratt wrote:TNOTG: I'm writing this from BeePi, there is installed:
/usr/sbin/httpd
/usr/sbin/sshd

"apachectl start" is the run in "/etc/rc.d/rc.net", but it does not work for me. That might have something to do with my network (WiFi - wpa-roam in wpa_supplicant.conf). I have few different OS's and I cant get BeePi networking to be 100% (I also have my own WiFi'd Minibian, and Amibian)

the others, can be installed via the EasyMiNT RPM Installer, or via command line "rpm -i package.rpm". They are .RPM packages on the SpareMiNT package site/page.

or you can check kurobox for servers

I also suggest you read CK Wongs atari networking pages too

Paul

Sorry to not update the thread, but I did get ftpd installed.

I got the files from the sparemint archive. I had to install the needed packages inetd/portmap/tcp_wrappers first. Then ftpd installed.

Never got it working past that. Seems to need some setup from inetd running. inetd man page said to set itself to run from rc.local, but it didn't work when I tried. Had to always start it manually. Not sure how to get ftpd running from the inetd.

So I gave up and used simple ftp from the beepi side and put the server on my win10 machine (filezilla server) after forwarding ports in my router.

paulwratt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulwratt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:56 am

from memory, "inetd" is the "gateway" daemon from httpd and ftpd, (in SpareMiNT) they are 1998-2000 version or Apache IIRC. I know they do work, but I think by default they use static IP "out of box", you definitely need to read (and edit) the configs for both. In the past I have got PHP running on the inetd/httpd under MiNT, it ran fine.

There are other alternatives, daemons that DONT use "inetd", I think there is at least one httpd and one ftpd in the SpareMiNT repo that are "alternates", but I could not tell you what they were.

But for Aranym (inc BeeKey/BeePi) I sugget to install a linux (host OS) server, which is started before Aranym, and therefore does not tax Aranym VM or its resources.

Cheers

Paul

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”