Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: PH Gmap - Google maps, Street View, Routes, GPX & more

Postby Neurotoxic » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 am

wongck wrote:Is THING now opensource ?

Yes. You may take a look here:

http://atariforge.org/gf/project/thing/
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:00 am

Neurotoxic wrote:
wongck wrote:Is THING now opensource ?

Yes. You may take a look here:
http://atariforge.org/gf/project/thing/

Thanks found it :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:14 pm

From viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23528&start=125#p330119
vido wrote:Hmmm ... I have set Zwiev as default viewer in Thing. If I click twice on the picture it automaticaly opens Zview which displays the picture.
When I click thumbnail in Phgmap it starts Zview but Zview doesnt show the picture. But progress bar is shown just for a moment like it would like to open the picture but it doesnt :(
Does Phgmap sends the right path of the picture? Something else I am missing?

Unfortunately you are missing one desktop that works with LFN.
Nothing I can do in PH GMAP.... THING is broken with this function.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 am

wongck wrote:Unfortunately you are missing one desktop that works with LFN.
Nothing I can do in PH GMAP.... THING is broken with this function.

Well ... I will have to do something about that ... :)
Thanks to investigate this issue!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 am

vido wrote:Well ... I will have to do something about that ... :)
Thanks to investigate this issue!

You can very easily see the issue.
Just make QED as the viewer for JPG.
In Teradesk/Jinnee, QED will load file and display bunch of rubbish. But you see the pathname on the window.

In Thing, you will see that as long as you use 8.3 naming for folders and filename, QED will display the bunch of rubbish.
But when you using a photo with LFN or spaces, QED will tell you it is not found and ask you if you want to create it.
So LFN in Thing is not implemented for VA protocol.

Also Thing will complain about the folder has LFN and cannot display all files.
IDK. I think this is pretty dangerous as it may over write some data if not all files are known to it in the FAT32.

Another issue when configuring the Application on Thing, the edit fields cursor goes missing when I type/moved the cursor.
So some very bad bugs is in it.

Of course I am using v1,27 which is pretty old, so may be it was before LFN came to it.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:03 am

wongck wrote:Of course I am using v1,27 which is pretty old, so may be it was before LFN came to it.

A couple of comments: Thing, at least version 1.29, supports LFN, but only up to 32 characters long. Version 1.50 was since released from the GPL'd sources but it doesn't run on my Firebee so I don't use it.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:14 pm

jfl wrote:A couple of comments: Thing, at least version 1.29, supports LFN, but only up to 32 characters long. Version 1.50 was since released from the GPL'd sources but it doesn't run on my Firebee so I don't use it.

I found v1.50, from above posting.
But it says the features are between 1.27 & 1.29 8O :roll: ..... so why is it called 1.50 ??
Anyway, I cannot set Application on it, something wrong with my system as it just cannot change the doc type.

Where to get v1.29 ? would be good to test. :D

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

wongck wrote:Where to get v1.29 ? would be good to test. :D

v1.29 is on your FireBee MiNT setup. You got it together with your FireBee.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:44 pm

wongck wrote:I found v1.50, from above posting.
But it says the features are between 1.27 & 1.29 8O :roll: ..... so why is it called 1.50 ??

It would have been quite confusing to call it 1.28, since it was released about 15 years after 1.29 :)
And wasn't TOS 3.x released before TOS 2.x?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:45 pm

vido wrote:

Yep. And there's even a nifty application to switch between the two so you don't have to edit config files.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:49 pm

If this image cache is managed locally, which it must be if its put to the local hard drive, then there is a solution. Convert all the spaces to underscores or dashes and it will work everywhere. This is how I would solve it. :wink:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:28 pm

vido wrote:

I need to get my FB out now. LOL

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:30 pm

lp wrote:If this image cache is managed locally, which it must be if its put to the local hard drive, then there is a solution. Convert all the spaces to underscores or dashes and it will work everywhere. This is how I would solve it. :wink:

It's the path & filename, so the user will have to do that on his own.
Frankly, if it was stored on a GEM partition, this issue will be non-existent.
So just move all to C: may be a solution but of course many of us uses the path and filename to denote the places and other information.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:32 pm

jfl wrote:
vido wrote:

Yep. And there's even a nifty application to switch between the two so you don't have to edit config files.

Guess I am missing a lot then as I do not use it. I just keep on using a simple working desktop.
The main thing for me is the application ... this is just bash, editor and gcc for me.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:39 pm

wongck wrote:
lp wrote:If this image cache is managed locally, which it must be if its put to the local hard drive, then there is a solution. Convert all the spaces to underscores or dashes and it will work everywhere. This is how I would solve it. :wink:

It's the path & filename, so the user will have to do that on his own.
Frankly, if it was stored on a GEM partition, this issue will be non-existent.
So just move all to C: may be a solution but of course many of us uses the path and filename to denote the places and other information.

I didn't try to duplicate the error. If the path is controlled by the user and he puts a space in the path, then yes the user has some control. Maybe a warning in the manual about Thing Desktop will suffice.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Looks like the same with v1.29....
On 8.3 compliant pathname/filename, QED gets called and "display" the photo.
On a non-8.3 pathanme/filename, QQD is not even running.
My guess is that v1.29 tests the path/filename and then calls the viewer if the pathname/filename is valid.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 am

wongck wrote:Looks like the same with v1.29....
On 8.3 compliant pathname/filename, QED gets called and "display" the photo.
On a non-8.3 pathanme/filename, QQD is not even running.
My guess is that v1.29 tests the path/filename and then calls the viewer if the pathname/filename is valid.

This is not in my case. In my case Zview is called, progress bar is opened for a moment and then the picture is not displayed. But I am almost 100% sure this worked in the past. I wil try with qed.
So ... application is invoked but then nothing happens. Like the path or filename is wrong.

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:51 am

vido wrote:In my case Zview is called, progress bar is opened for a moment and then the picture is not displayed.

I have experienced this phenomenon, too. It always happens to me when I'm opening a file by a double click and zView cannot read the file due to an unknown format (missing codec) or it's just broken. I'm not sure if this might be an issue in your case?

Concerning the path issue and Thing I must admit that I don't know if I understood the problem. But I experienced the following by using Thing 1.29 on my Milan: All applications are running correctly. I don't have any problems by opening an application via the Thing desktop. I didn't experience any issues by opening files via the Thing desktop by using an application that's registered in the settings of the Thing desktop. I'm using a gem partition wtih long file names (vfat), an ext2 partition and an fat32 partition with long file names, too. But some applications do have problems with path names that contain space characters or that contain names that are longer than 8 characters. E. g. Litchi won't open the *.hyp file when the file is placed in an folder with a name like "litchi 1.3e". The name of the folder has to be changed to "litchi" and than it works. Even XaAES seems to have difficulties to handle long path names or file names. Setting an enviroment variable in the "xaaes.cnf" won't work at all (MiNT 1.19.cur from November 22nd, 2015) that's using a long path name. It's even impossible to run applications via XaAES that uses a long path or file name. I'm not sure if this information helps you. If not than just forget about it.
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:56 am

Neurotoxic wrote:I have experienced this phenomenon, too. It always happens to me when I'm opening a file by a double click and zView cannot read the file due to an unknown format (missing codec) or it's just broken. I'm not sure if this might be an issue in your case?

Interesting! Zview opens the picture if I double click it. Is it possible that Zview calls or dont find the other codec when it is invoked by Phgmap?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 am

wongck wrote:So LFN in Thing is not implemented for VA protocol.

This is not correct. Not only does Thing! implement this, it also defined the standard on how. If long filenames does not work via AV for you then this will have to be investigated. An issue with quoted filenames/paths maybe?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

joska wrote:This is not correct. Not only does Thing! implement this, it also defined the standard on how. If long filenames does not work via AV for you then this will have to be investigated. An issue with quoted filenames/paths maybe?

Then may others desktop implemented wrongly not according to Thing! standard. IDK.
I am glad that Thing! is opened sourced so someone can investigate it.

Yes, it reports funny error messages when you surround the pathname with quotes.Image

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am

Neurotoxic wrote:Concerning the path issue and Thing I must admit that I don't know if I understood the problem. But I experienced the following by using Thing 1.29 on my Milan: All applications are running correctly. I don't have any problems by opening an application via the Thing desktop. I didn't experience any issues by opening files via the Thing desktop by using an application that's registered in the settings of the Thing desktop. I'm using a gem partition wtih long file names (vfat), an ext2 partition and an fat32 partition with long file names, too.

i want to make it clear that there is no issue in doing all of the above in Thing! It also works for me and I am using v1.27. :D
It is the inter-process communication that has an issue.

Neurotoxic wrote:But some applications do have problems with path names that contain space characters or that contain names that are longer than 8 characters. E. g. Litchi won't open the *.hyp file when the file is placed in an folder with a name like "litchi 1.3e". The name of the folder has to be changed to "litchi" and than it works.

Yes, exactly !!! Spot on !!!!
This is the inter-process communication that seems to have an issue. Litchi is asking for Hypperview to display a HYP file.
In the same way PH GMAP is asking for zView to display a JPG file.
Again putting the JPG file in a folder like mentioned by you will make zView display the JPG.

So you experienced the same as me... I am glad that I am not the only one

Neurotoxic wrote:Even XaAES seems to have difficulties to handle long path names or file names. Setting an enviroment variable in the "xaaes.cnf" won't work at all (MiNT 1.19.cur from November 22nd, 2015) that's using a long path name. It's even impossible to run applications via XaAES that uses a long path or file name. I'm not sure if this information helps you. If not than just forget about it.

I use XaAES and I can run applications from folders with long name with spaces and the filename that is also long and with spaces.
The applications runs on XaAES with Thing! as desktop.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:27 pm

wongck wrote:Yes, it reports funny error messages when you surround the pathname with quotes.Image

Is this message sent to the AV-server by your application? Has your application told the AV-server that it use quoted filenames (AV_PROTOKOLL)?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 pm

wongck wrote:
Neurotoxic wrote:Even XaAES seems to have difficulties to handle long path names or file names. Setting an enviroment variable in the "xaaes.cnf" won't work at all (MiNT 1.19.cur from November 22nd, 2015) that's using a long path name. It's even impossible to run applications via XaAES that uses a long path or file name. I'm not sure if this information helps you. If not than just forget about it.

I use XaAES and I can run applications from folders with long name with spaces and the filename that is also long and with spaces.
The applications runs on XaAES with Thing! as desktop.

Yes. That's right. That's working in my setup, too. But if you want to start a programm before the desktop is loaded from the "xaaes.cnf" file and you put the follwing line in the "xaaes.cnf"

Code: Select all

run c:\desktops\ztask 1.0\ztask.app

it won't work. You have to change the name of the zTask folder so that the name doesn't contain any spaces. This path will work:

run c:\desktops\ztask\ztask.app

And now I understand the issue. Thanks for your explanation. 8)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:

run c:\desktops\ztask 1.0\ztask.app

it won't work. You have to change the name of the zTask folder so that the name doesn't contain any spaces. This path will work:

Oh... it will work, you just use quotes. :wink: :D

run "c:\desktops\ztask 1.0\ztask.app"

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”