Atari Themed Clock face - chimes, alarms and mouse fix

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Atari Themed Clock face - chimes, alarms and mouse fix

Postby wongck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:09 pm

MacFalcon wrote:Wongck, you are great! I love your software! Excellent work!

Thanks for your kind words. :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 am

PH Clock v1.31 released on my web site.
https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... -downloads

- removal of red square on colour picker tittle
- simulated per second when in non-bios timing for MagiC.
- real per minute drawing of clock face (reduce flickering if no second hand).

have fun !!
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 pm

wongck wrote:PH Clock v1.31 released on my web site.

- removal of red square on colour picker tittle
- simulated per second when in non-bios timing for MagiC.
- real per minute drawing of clock face (reduce flickering if no second hand).

have fun !!

Great job! Now everything works. And a special thank you for the "simulated per second" for MagiC :cheers:

As I like PH Clock so much, I´ll send you some stuff for it via PM :-)

Here is a list:
- updated English and German RSC files (removed some small mistakes, brushed up some things)
- new icon set (desktop icons are slightly bigger)
- new and improved clock face pictures (for example, now centered and scaled to 120x120 pixels)

Hope you like that stuff.

And something different: In the docs, you say clock face pictures have to be named CFxx.png. So I thought I can name them like that: CF01.png, CF02.png etc. But it must be CF0.png, CF1.png and so on. I think the first method is better (including starting with 01) since it´s less confusing and consistent with the docs.

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:27 am

AtFaCT wrote:Great job! Now everything works. And a special thank you for the "simulated per second" for MagiC :cheers:

Thanks.
Hope some other MagiC users will also find it useful.

AtFaCT wrote:As I like PH Clock so much, I´ll send you some stuff for it via PM :-)
Here is a list:
- updated English and German RSC files (removed some small mistakes, brushed up some things)
- new icon set (desktop icons are slightly bigger)
- new and improved clock face pictures (for example, now centered and scaled to 120x120 pixels)

Sure thanks.
If you want to, you can also make some new nice looking clock face images. Those few was quickly made up during initial testing and just stuck to it without any clean-up as they just "worked" fine :wink:.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:16 am

AtFaCT wrote:And something different: In the docs, you say clock face pictures have to be named CFxx.png. So I thought I can name them like that: CF01.png, CF02.png etc. But it must be CF0.png, CF1.png and so on. I think the first method is better (including starting with 01) since it´s less confusing and consistent with the docs.

Ok, this is an easy fix. Now both format works.
I will package and put in my site once I get the new stuff from you.

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 pm

wongck wrote:If you want to, you can also make some new nice looking clock face images. Those few was quickly made up during initial testing and just stuck to it without any clean-up as they just "worked" fine :wink:.

I´m working on new clock face pictures :D

And I´ve found another issue. When I disable "Show markings" in the configuration dialogue, for example, and close the dialogue by pressing the OK button with the mouse, the markings will be disabled. But if I use the Return key instead of the left mouse button, the markings won´t be disabled.

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:49 pm

AtFaCT wrote:And I´ve found another issue. When I disable "Show markings" in the configuration dialogue, for example, and close the dialogue by pressing the OK button with the mouse, the markings will be disabled. But if I use the Return key instead of the left mouse button, the markings won´t be disabled.

Noted.
Probably put this up along the same time I update with the new icons.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Updated PH Clock with new icons and additional clock face !!

Thanks to AtFaCT for new clock faces.

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:25 pm

wongck wrote:Updated PH Clock with new icons and additional clock face !!

Thanks to AtFaCT for new clock faces.

You´re welcome. By the way, I´m working on additional clock faces :D

Again some small issues ;-):

- If I open jinnee's context menu with the right mouse button so that it (partly) covers PH Clock, the clock face window will be topped and it 'll cover the context menu.

- Double click on the PH Clock window results in the alert "File not found". I'd say it shouldn't be displayed if no sample file was played before.

- When I'm playing a MOD file with Paula and I start PH Clock, the MOD file won't be played correctly. I don't know if it's an issue of Paula or PH Clock. Could you have look at it since Paula is the best MOD player for a multitasking OS? Paula and its source code can be found here: http://www.ataricq.org/attachments/216_paula.zip.

And a suggestion: Have you ever thought of supporting AV_SENDKEY? It's always a nice feature for desktop utilities to send non-used keys to the desktop.

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:31 pm

AtFaCT wrote:- If I open jinnee's context menu with the right mouse button so that it (partly) covers PH Clock, the clock face window will be topped and it 'll cover the context menu.

- Double click on the PH Clock window results in the alert "File not found". I'd say it shouldn't be displayed if no sample file was played before.

- When I'm playing a MOD file with Paula and I start PH Clock, the MOD file won't be played correctly. I don't know if it's an issue of Paula or PH Clock. Could you have look at it since Paula is the best MOD player for a multitasking OS? Paula and its source code can be found here: http://www.ataricq.org/attachments/216_paula.zip.

Sounds like all these are all by-designed.
1, To stop flickering of the clock, when your mouse is not on ph clock window, it will not garb exclusive control of the screen. In doing so, it allows Jinee to open any menus. I can stop this but it will make ph clock flickers. This was implemented back when JLF notices lots of flickering.

2. Double click means play sample again ( or stop the alarm if it is on ), if it does not display alert boix, one may not be sure by there is no sample. (remember that only path is remembered and user may have deleted/moved it).

3. Ph clock will make nearest selection of speed of the sample in the hardware. This may cause the MOD to play at wrong speed I guess.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:14 am

wongck wrote:When I'm playing a MOD file with Paula and I start PH Clock, the MOD file won't be played correctly. I don't know if it's an issue of Paula or PH Clock. Could you have look at it since Paula is the best MOD player for a multitasking OS? Paula and its source code can be found here: http://www.ataricq.org/attachments/216_paula.zip.

I have tested Paula playing a mod with ph clock. Both sound and paula music played at the same time. I think the speed of the Paula was still OK after ph clock played the sound. Sorry it sounds no issue to me, may be my ears are not so tuned to musics.
What exactly is the issue ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:54 pm

I played around with Paula settings.
Only polling normal works. Other methods, after ph clock will not continue to play.
Also the freq set in Paula seems to override the speed settings in ph clock.
So depending on this Paula setting, the sound by ph clock may or may not sound right.

I am not sure what the other polling /interrupt methods do.

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am

wongck wrote:1, To stop flickering of the clock, when your mouse is not on ph clock window, it will not garb exclusive control of the screen. In doing so, it allows Jinee to open any menus. I can stop this but it will make ph clock flickers. This was implemented back when JLF notices lots of flickering.

It's a serious issue under MagiC since all kind of menus have that mentioned problem, even normal program menus. Could you make a special version for me without this "not grab exclusive control" feature? I'll check if there's flickering under MagiC.

wongck wrote:2. Double click means play sample again ( or stop the alarm if it is on ), if it does not display alert boix, one may not be sure by there is no sample. (remember that only path is remembered and user may have deleted/moved it).

What do you think about changing the alert text, something like that: "No sample for (re)playing found." I think it's less confusing, at least for someone who forgot your clock is as well a sample player :)

wongck wrote:3. Ph clock will make nearest selection of speed of the sample in the hardware. This may cause the MOD to play at wrong speed I guess.

I know another clock app that simply turns off DMA, plays its clock sound via DMA and turns on DMA again. After it, Paula plays the MOD file where it 's been stopped before. This could be a solution.

wongck wrote:I have tested Paula playing a mod with ph clock. Both sound and paula music played at the same time. I think the speed of the Paula was still OK after ph clock played the sound. Sorry it sounds no issue to me, may be my ears are not so tuned to musics.
What exactly is the issue ?

When PH Clock plays its sound, MOD music stops. And when clock sound has stopped, I can hear just noise.

wongck wrote:I played around with Paula settings.
Only polling normal works. Other methods, after ph clock will not continue to play.
Also the freq set in Paula seems to override the speed settings in ph clock.
So depending on this Paula setting, the sound by ph clock may or may not sound right.

I am not sure what the other polling /interrupt methods do.

I don´t understand what you mean by only polling normally works: Are there Paula settings for polling / interrupt methods? And what is the "correct" Paula setting?

And another question: Under MagiC and MiNT, I can´t use Paula out of the box. I have to init DMA sound with a small tool for the Auto folder. How does Paula behave on your Falcon?

wongck wrote:
AtFaCT wrote:And something different: In the docs, you say clock face pictures have to be named CFxx.png. So I thought I can name them like that: CF01.png, CF02.png etc. But it must be CF0.png, CF1.png and so on. I think the first method is better (including starting with 01) since it´s less confusing and consistent with the docs.

Ok, this is an easy fix. Now both format works.

Unfortunately, it doesn´t work. Clock face pictures can´t be renamed to CF01.png etc.

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am

AtFaCT wrote:Unfortunately, it doesn´t work. Clock face pictures can´t be renamed to CF01.png etc.

I think the version that works is still on my hd.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:02 pm

AtFaCT wrote:I don´t understand what you mean by only polling normally works: Are there Paula settings for polling / interrupt methods? And what is the "correct" Paula setting?

And another question: Under MagiC and MiNT, I can´t use Paula out of the box. I have to init DMA sound with a small tool for the Auto folder. How does Paula behave on your Falcon?

This is Paula NG, no?
It just needs LDG manager in the AUTO otherwise it complains about something in French. I have no idea what.... :P

and this is the polling normal setting that I am talking about. I think it is the default, as it was set to this when I first ran it. ( I don't use it). When I change to any other settings it just stops.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 pm

AtFaCT wrote:It's a serious issue under MagiC since all kind of menus have that mentioned problem, even normal program menus. Could you make a special version for me without this "not grab exclusive control" feature? I'll check if there's flickering under MagiC.

What do you think about changing the alert text, something like that: "No sample for (re)playing found." I think it's less confusing, at least for someone who forgot your clock is as well a sample player :)

Don't worry about these 2, it killed. :wink:

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

wongck wrote:This is Paula NG, no?

Now I know why I didn´t understand you. I wasn´t referring to Paula NG. I use Paula 2.16 by Pascal Fellerich. Its replay routine is way better. Please follow the link

http://www.ataricq.org/attachments/216_paula.zip

As mentioned above, even source code is included.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Pascal for releasing Paula as freeware. It´s a fantastic piece of software.

wongck wrote:
AtFaCT wrote:It's a serious issue under MagiC since all kind of menus have that mentioned problem, even normal program menus. Could you make a special version for me without this "not grab exclusive control" feature? I'll check if there's flickering under MagiC.

Don't worry about these 2, it killed. :wink
I´m very glad you resolved the menu issue. Great news :cheers:

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:45 am

AtFaCT wrote:Now I know why I didn´t understand you. I wasn´t referring to Paula NG. I use Paula 2.16 by Pascal Fellerich. Its replay routine is way better. Please follow the link

Ok, so there are so many Paula :lol:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:25 am

AtFaCT wrote: I use Paula 2.16 by Pascal Fellerich.

opps... it says it is playing but n sound from the speakers.
What's your trick to get it working?

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:58 pm

wongck wrote:
AtFaCT wrote: I use Paula 2.16 by Pascal Fellerich.

opps... it says it is playing but n sound from the speakers.
What's your trick to get it working?

You have to init DMA sound on Falcon. Use this one from the Auto folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:32 am

AtFaCT wrote:You have to init DMA sound on Falcon. Use this one from the Auto folder.

Danke !!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:43 am

New version of PH CLOCK v1.32 available for download.

1. Fixed desktop menu over write.
2. Better description for error alert message for samples
3. Implemented workaround if audio system being used.

Get it from the same place:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:00 pm

AtFaCT wrote:You have to init DMA sound on Falcon. Use this one from the Auto folder.

You don't need this program any more :wink:
Running PH CLOCK will also make Paula sing as well.

AtFaCT
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AtFaCT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:03 pm

wongck wrote:

You don't need this program any more :wink:
Running PH CLOCK will also make Paula sing as well.

Great idea!

wongck wrote:New version of PH CLOCK v1.32 available for download.

1. Fixed desktop menu over write.
2. Better description for error alert message for samples
3. Implemented workaround if audio system being used.

Thanks for the fixes. They work fine. :cheers:

Nonetheless, there seems to be a slight issue with the audio system workaround. When the PH Clock alarm sound has been played, the MOD file supplied with Paula is played at a wrong frequency. It seems that PH Clock doesn't restore all DMA settings. And is that intended: Alarm sound is played only for a few seconds instead of one minute in that case (audio system being used)?

Something different: You wrote some Atari programs in the last century ;-) One of them is PH Player. Do you still have the source code? It's not only a great DMA but as well a MIDI player. What a fantastic idea! Are you interested in updating it? There're some minor issues, iconification windows without icons, for example. Of course, I'd create some for you :-)

Best regards,
AtFaCT

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 pm

It's difficult when 2 audio player is using the audio system. There is no default mixer, one have to make a mixer by themselves. Such system related section should be a bigger part of the OS audio system. Not specifically done by a player. What if another player comes along, then it is different way of implementing sound again. I try to hijack the audio system and give back to Paula or what ever audio software is using it. Sometime it works but not always, as it is more or less in the middle of playing a sample.

PH Player v3 code is inside PH Clock.
That's why it is so easy for me to make sample player for PH Clock.
Midi capability is in v4.
Unfortunately, the source code for v4 is lost when both my Falcon hd crashed (due to MagiC) and my SCSI hd (IBM hd) backup failed to work.
I checked my SyQuest hd and they are not there.

Yes, SyQuest hd is stronger than IBM SCSI hd :P but SyQuest comapny is gone now but IBM still around ( but not it's hd section).

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”