Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.18 an

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:26 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:I hope Netusbee support is only postponed and not dead. Many people bought the card esp in the hope that someday proper USB support would be available....(and this bunch includes myself ofcourse)

In any case all my work I've done is open source and inside the FreeMiNT repository, just in case someone in the future want to try to finish it.
Also I've committed a readme text explaining the problems I reached and few conclusions.

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12420
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby wongck » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 am

Galvez wrote:
wongck wrote:
Latz wrote: David gave up NetUSBee suport, i think :(

oh no.... does that have any impact of CTPCI USB support then??


I gave up only with NetUSBee driver. I would like to make a PCI driver which works with the CTPCI and the FireBee (and hopefully with Hades and Milan).
And regardless of the MiNT driver I think Didier will add PCI USB drivers for keyboard, mouse and mass storage inside CT06x TOS, just like it has been done for the FireBee.


Thanks Galvez, I hope you continue for the PCI version !!

Didier PCI USB driver, will that work for Mint LFN & FAT32 ?
Mostly USB storage nowadays requires LFN & FAT32 capabilities as other platform does it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:28 am

wongck wrote:
Galvez wrote:
wongck wrote:oh no.... does that have any impact of CTPCI USB support then??


I gave up only with NetUSBee driver. I would like to make a PCI driver which works with the CTPCI and the FireBee (and hopefully with Hades and Milan).
And regardless of the MiNT driver I think Didier will add PCI USB drivers for keyboard, mouse and mass storage inside CT06x TOS, just like it has been done for the FireBee.


Thanks Galvez, I hope you continue for the PCI version !!

Didier PCI USB driver, will that work for Mint LFN & FAT32 ?

Yes, I guess it'll work under MiNT but without hot-plugging(see dhs forum), hot-plugging in the FirBee is done with a FRTOS task, and we don't have FRTOS in the CT06x.

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5006
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Galvez wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:I hope Netusbee support is only postponed and not dead. Many people bought the card esp in the hope that someday proper USB support would be available....(and this bunch includes myself ofcourse)

In any case all my work I've done is open source and inside the FreeMiNT repository, just in case someone in the future want to try to finish it.
Also I've committed a readme text explaining the problems I reached and few conclusions.


That's all one can ask for in the circumstances. Still a good job at laying groundwork, it is ofcourse appreciated.

I still hope for improvements in the future :)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

User avatar
MadMax2023
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 7:57 am
Location: France, Aix
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby MadMax2023 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Anyway thanks Galvez for your work!
If the problem is over your skills, it is clear that you can't solve it.

Now let's hope someone will continue the job (i am not sure of it :( ).

ragnar76
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby ragnar76 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 pm

So, close to March. What's the status of the NetUSBee driver?

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12420
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby wongck » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 pm

On the other front, it looks like Rodolphe can simulate the USB error on his CTPCI.
Looks like USB on CTPCI will be finally resolved !!!
Hope this drivers works on CTPCI. :mrgreen:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5006
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:37 pm

May if the highperformance drivers work, someone has mercy and helps with the Netusbee driver?

(Just dreaming :lol: )
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

User avatar
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 pm

... is there any progress with the netusbee.ucd?

I try the netusbee.ucd on a 68000 MiNT/XaAES 1.19 System ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Guest

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 am

can you pm me details of the ranges your using i want too impliment usb via TTRAM

i dont have time too look over the full projects

just send me the stack details and ill make an overlay driver from ttram ranges as needed....

i can add overlay choices for other ranges

as we have planty at this level too choose from and range too...

its only a bidir move or two...

User avatar
paul92706
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1401
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:28 am
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby paul92706 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:05 pm

wongck wrote:On the other front, it looks like Rodolphe can simulate the USB error on his CTPCI.
Looks like USB on CTPCI will be finally resolved !!!
Hope this drivers works on CTPCI. :mrgreen:

Hi wongck, have you heard of any new updates on this? hmm just wondering thanks!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12420
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby wongck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:44 am

paul92706 wrote: have you heard of any new updates on this? hmm just wondering thanks!

Unfortunately, nothing from the CTPCI front for ages now.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:59 am

frank.lukas wrote:... is there any progress with the netusbee.ucd?


Not from me, sorry :-/

User avatar
frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby frank.lukas » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:12 am

Galvez wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:... is there any progress with the netusbee.ucd?


Not from me, sorry :-/


Can it be that the Netusbee Hardware is unsuitable ?
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 pm

frank.lukas wrote:
Galvez wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:... is there any progress with the netusbee.ucd?


Not from me, sorry :-/


Can it be that the Netusbee Hardware is unsuitable ?

During sometime I was thinking so, but then I tried with Linux, and the USB transfers were quite stable, very slow but reliable.

User avatar
shoggoth
Nature
Nature
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Halmstad, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Oi,

David, my memory fails me. Do you remember any details about the problem? Maybe I could hook up the logic analyzer and verify that transactions to/from the USB chipset looks the way they're supposed to etc.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:15 pm

shoggoth wrote:Oi,

David, my memory fails me. Do you remember any details about the problem? Maybe I could hook up the logic analyzer and verify that transactions to/from the USB chipset looks the way they're supposed to etc.


Hi Peter,

the transfers were breaking randomly, sometimes after few Kbytes were sent and sometimes after various Mbytes. Then the host controller entered in a state where it was not responding to any command, even software reset. That randomness made the debug process quite difficult.

User avatar
shoggoth
Nature
Nature
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 am
Location: Halmstad, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Galvez wrote:the transfers were breaking randomly, sometimes after few Kbytes were sent and sometimes after various Mbytes. Then the host controller entered in a state where it was not responding to any command, even software reset. That randomness made the debug process quite difficult.


Could it be related to physical access timings, i.e. cart port I/O stuff?
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:09 pm

shoggoth wrote:
Galvez wrote:the transfers were breaking randomly, sometimes after few Kbytes were sent and sometimes after various Mbytes. Then the host controller entered in a state where it was not responding to any command, even software reset. That randomness made the debug process quite difficult.


Could it be related to physical access timings, i.e. cart port I/O stuff?


To be honest I don't know.
Do you think that if physical access timings were the problem the Linux driver would work?

It has passed sometime and I don't remember the details, but the Linux and the MiNT driver have some important difference in the way they work.

Also I remember now that when the transfers were breaking the driver was complaining that the host controller FIFO wasn't empty.

Guest

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:39 pm

perhaps assign a memory range for use as a usb stack

then we all have a base cross o/s to work with

what are the assigned memory ranges within the given your using???

please.,,,

i want too know so i can work with TTram ...and perhaps the shaddow and see where it is and assign it

i can mount this controller direct to TTRAM... so 60ns access. too its range... drivers??

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:29 pm

simbo2 wrote:perhaps assign a memory range for use as a usb stack

then we all have a base cross o/s to work with

what are the assigned memory ranges within the given your using???

please.,,,

i want too know so i can work with TTram ...and perhaps the shaddow and see where it is and assign it

i can mount this controller direct to TTRAM... so 60ns access. too its range... drivers??


Sorry I don't think I understand what you really want to know.
MiNT's USB subsystem uses kmalloc function (kernel's malloc) for buffers where the data is sent/receive to/from the USB bus. If the buffer is small it uses the stack.
When using kmalloc I guess the kernel allocates in TTRAM whenever is possible, when the stack is used I don't know whether it's the kernel stack or the modules have their own stack, in both cases I guess the stack is placed in TTRAM whenever possible.

Guest

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:34 pm

need the address range it uses
then you can use the TTRam port and the hardware can be mounted to the port
as well as ram

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:49 am

Re: Installation of experimental USB stack with FreeMiNT 1.1

Postby Galvez » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 pm

simbo2 wrote:need the address range it uses
then you can use the TTRam port and the hardware can be mounted to the port
as well as ram


Still not sure what you're asking for.
Below there is some text from NetUSBee program_spec.txt, this is how you read cartridge port addresses to read/write USB controller register and data.
Is this what you need?

USB Data Reads
==============

Data Reads from USB are done at base address 0xFA8000 (activating a read cycle) as a 16bit word. Data appears on D8-15 as most significant byte, and D0-7 as least significant byte. Notice how A15 has to be set to 1 to make it a USB cycle.


USB Data Writes
===============

Data reads at base address 0xFB8000 actually cause data to be written. As the write interface is only 8 bits wide, the 16bits of data must be passed through this "8 bit window". The Least Signifant Byte is transferred first by left shifting data once and added to 0xFA8000. This is followed by the Most significant byte, transferred by left shifting data once and then added to 0xFB8000. On this last cycle is where the transfer is actually done. Notice how A15 has to be set to 1 to make it a USB cycle.



USB Command Writes
===========================

Data reads at base address 0xFBC000 actually cause a register/command to be written. The 8bit byte is transferred by left shifting data once and added to 0xFBC000. Notice how A15 has to be set to 1 to make it a USB cycle, and A14 set to make it a register/command access.


USB Driver Please note:
A small delay in the region of 300ns should be given between a register/command and data access on USB. This can simply be a couple of NOPs.


On the USB, a complete register access comprises of a command phase then a data phase.


Social Media

     

Return to “Professionals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests