Universal Atari Modding Case

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Universal Atari Modding Case

Postby bid » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:12 am

simbo2 wrote:ive tried U2 rack case still have it £20 ~+ to anyone willing to pay post
i prefer the original case
dont think the case means poo
its how stable the machine is to do its task ...
unlike pc's midi timing is perfect
i know studios who use many slave st machines to keep perfect 16/4 timings
modern poo is not great at this simple task :coffe:

Simbo! ... I love you man!!

Yeah, Your right. ... You always are lol.

I got a MEGA STE with no case. And on top of that, a SCSI CD-ROM, couple of IODATA SCSI to IDE cards, AD-SCSI (as dont have the MegaSte SCSI official atari one with crap parity), and a NETUSB plus other mad stuff.

I like to run 2x Floppies. And I like to fart about with different hardware configs for some reasons. Probably the buzz. I got a VME graphics card too, and was planning on putting in the card based EtherNET thing. I forget its name? ... So anyway, I do need a case. ... Also, I unboxed my STe some years ago, and made a seperate keyboard mod etc.

I find, that the STE is the greatest machine. But, I have to say, that STE with a hard drive is what the OS is all about.

I mean. You can have it load a 500kb program that does anything and everything in nano seconds. It dont crash. Its gonna boot in 2 secs from cold. You can associate files to progs. You can create desktop Icons (with 2.06 and hard drive). I can set function keys for progs. And I think TOS/GEM is actually a Mac beater, only with the hard drive on.

Its such a shame that Atari made it so hard for Hard Drive to be cheap back in the day. Yes, ASCI is better than SCSI in some ways. Yes, the data transfer rate on ASCI is insane. I mean direct to BUS and like so simple and fast. But lacking true SCSI means most people never saw the advantages of hard drive.

With it, the machine is perfect. ... But as I hate all stuff sticking out, I am going to put my monitor switcher SCSI to IDE stuff. I also am fed up of having on my main STe the case unscrewed all the time. I did floppy mod etc for HD, which again is really really neccessary IMHO. And I do like seperate keyboard... My normal STe has been modded with this for last 10 years. As I like keyboard accessible.

Main thing for me. Is I love hardware. .. I want to see the mainboard in its glory, all the time. And no dust, lol. So a clear acrylic case is for me. The Mega STe mobo I picked up also has no PSU, so I am going to fit with a PC one and made this slot into the new case I designed. This also allows me to plumb in all other stuff off the same PSU as it has higher wattage.

I'll probably put one normal STe into the new case. As I now have two anyways. I'll prob keep the existing PSU for now. But I'll want 2x floppies. One HD at least. I'll want a physical IDE drive, as I don't trust my data with solid state, flash cards etc. Plus networking. I have 2x SCSI CD-Roms but not sure how much I will use these. Ideally, I would like to rip samples off of them. Basically, I dont want to have to use a PC ... At least for recreation, music, gaming and fun apps. lol

Always annoyed me tho. That there was never a decent case option. At least until Mega STe and TT case which I love. Again tho. Only room for one Hard Drive. And even with my TT, I end up often plugging a 2nd in to transfer stuff, or if I re-partition etc. PLus there is Mint to try out and other daft things. I'll never re-box my TT. Its way too good.

But I would like to be able to simply swap hard drives. And have a machine with a single PSU and hence plug. I'll take my external HD which contains a Sd_SCSI and put it in the same case with new PSU. Also, can try out the CD-Rom and other stuff. And I'll just make it easier to get files onto it from either PC or network. I'm using serial interface it moment, which is slow. Other method is CF card. But again, I would rather have CF Card as secondary drive.

In any case. I just like designing things.

I really should finish it tho. Its literally 90% done and ready to laser cut. Main thing that I just need to do, is that I made the job extra complicated, by designing it to fit any Atari motherboard. So its literally getting all mobo screw positions for every Atari that is taking time.

This fits standard ST, MEGA, MEGA STE, TT, the job lot. What I slowed myself up on is the bloody Falcon. ... I don't even have one. But I see so many with loads of guts sticking out of them. Horrible.

Fitting the Falcon motherboard is easy. What is not so easy, is the PCI thing and CT60. The ribbon cables are very short, and cant be extended due to signalling. And the PCI card adaptor is huge! .. I think I have cracked it now. But I don't want to make the case very big. ... And if I had a Falcon, with CT60 etc, I would certainly want to box up the innards.

Mind you. I don't personally like the Falcon 030. Its always seemed like half a job to me. And probably was. ... I am waiting for Rudolphe Czuba to make something exciting hopefully.

But anyway. I am going to upload the files "as-is" for those that want to review and look at it. I have a free 3D CAD viewer. And it has tools to rotate, measure, section review etc. So if people want to download the model, and the drawings / plans I will host them on DropBox and you can get the link from me here http://db.tt/iRaytFrH

I'll host the files this weekend. And this means that people can criticise the design. Review, comment etc. ... If I can make a couple of design decisions (and I am a perfectionist), then I can then create the DXF files. Which will mean that this can be ordered easily. If you have a FabLab near you, you can get it laser cut very very cheaply. I'm guessing for even as low as £20. Just pick a colour, and send them the AutoCAD DXF files. ... Simples :coffe:
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I have just uploaded a DropBox with the draft version.

If you dont have DropBox you can instal it here http://db.tt/iRaytFrH

I need comments, suggestions and help to finalise the design. There is a 3D viewer in the DropBox, and I will add the folder to anyone that follows the link and installs.

I really want to make the 1st one soon, as my Mega STe has no case. I have changed my mind on whats going in mine. And the parts can be ordered as laser cut acrylic.

I think I will bite the bullet very soon, and order one to be made. But I could really do with people giving me some comments and feedback after looking at the design.

Many thanks,
Bid

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

I just tried moving the CTPCI location, by shifting the Falcon motherboard to the right, as discussed earlier.

Unfortunately it interferes with my preferred floppy location.

I have uploaded a 3D CAD model of this, in case anyone wants to view this, on DropBox.

Also, the ROM port is occulded, and I am not totally happy with this modification. CTPCI is turning out to be a real pain! lol :cry:

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:34 pm

I have updated the design on the DropBox and there are now 4 versions to consider and comment on.

I need some help to make decisions and ensure that all hardware fits correctly. So comments and suggestions will be very welcome.

In addition, if you do add the DropBox using the original method. Then if you send me your email, as originally asked, then you will get a noticifcation when I update the design automatically.

Also, you can get involved in a group email to discuss ideas. As I am keen to utilise the ideas from users to move this forwards and make the design as suitable as possible.

Hence, join DropBox and use the link I originally provided here http://db.tt/iRaytFrH. This I get your email, and you get the updates automatically. If you just use the share link (2nd method) you will not know when updates come, nor will you be able to participate in the design changes.

If in doubt email me at john@thebigconsultant.com

I want to finish this design now, as I am sick of having loose bits of components and wiring all over my desk!! :lol:

Please take a look at the new designs on DropBox.

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 am

Hi!
What's happening on this? I know you have a 'real' job, just wondered if you have an estimate of when you will have a prototype ready.

retrogameandcomputer
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby retrogameandcomputer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:38 pm

So far it looks great. Do you have any rendered results that will show the finished product? Are you planning on using a 3D printer to create this case?

Would love to have something for my 1024 ST.

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:58 pm

So I am guessing this is dead by now since last post is from 2013. ?
Any chance of getting files to modify and 3d print it for ourselves?
[b] I am looking for: Atari TT030. Panther2 board, Magnum TTram board[/b]
Currently have: Atari 1040 STF, Atari 1040 STE Ultrasatan, MonSTEr board, Scart with HD to HDMI converter, IDE to CF, IDE DVD in external enclosure. 5 IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. HP Chromebook. Custom AMD race SIM rig. Custom AMD Hackintosh. Apple Powermac G5 2x2.7GHz watercooled PPC.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:32 pm

I would love the files too. I need to recase my Falcon (AB040, eclispe PCI, Ethernet .. don't quite fit in the original case :) ) and may be a STF.
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:48 pm

rpineau wrote:I would love the files too. I need to recase my Falcon (AB040, eclispe PCI, Ethernet .. don't quite fit in the original case :) ) and may be a STF.

Right? I would love to have files, so I can at least have it cut of plexi.
None of the links he posted are to actual files. So sad all that time wasted and nobody will benefit from all that work.
Currently have: Atari 1040 STF, Atari 1040 STE Ultrasatan, MonSTEr board, Scart with HD to HDMI converter, IDE to CF, IDE DVD in external enclosure. 5 IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads. HP Chromebook. Custom AMD race SIM rig. Custom AMD Hackintosh. Apple Powermac G5 2x2.7GHz watercooled PPC.

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 am

Awesome!!!! Let me know if you need any funding or help. :megaphone:
Atari STE, Mega STE, Atari STFM, UltraSatan, SatanDisk, BBC Micro Model B, Playstation 1, Playstation 4, XBox360, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200, NintendoDS, Super Nintendo Classic Mini, Sony PSP and Super Nintendo.

http://www.ataristsales.com and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jays-Retro-Computer-Sales.
Atari ST demoscener active in Effect^Elite^Checkpoint as a coder and disk packer since 1992!

cyberish
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby cyberish » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:42 am

I tried to get hold of Bid here, but he never responded. - So I hope it's ok to repost his files here... :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xos8isuqys15y ... D.zip?dl=0

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Thank you for posting it but it seems PDF's with CAD info in them are not readable.
Could you check in your original files if they are working? I am getting only white page when opening them.
By any chance, no CAD files of actual case?

Thanks

cyberish wrote:I tried to get hold of Bid here, but he never responded. - So I hope it's ok to repost his files here... :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xos8isuqys15y ... D.zip?dl=0

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:21 pm

I would totally want one of these
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - ET4000 vme graphics

umberto1st
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby umberto1st » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:35 pm

Glad to hear this is still alive
800, 2) 600XL, 2) 800XL, 1) 1200XL, 2) 130XE, 1) XEGS, 2) 1050,2) 810, 1) 850, 2) 1040 STFM's, 1) 4160 STE, 1) MEGA ST2,1)Mega ST4,1)Mega STE, 1) FALCON CT63+CTPCI+Radeon, 1)FALCON STOCK 14 MEG CF IDE, NEMESIS NOT INSTALLED, 1) 2600, 2)5200, 1) 7800. 5)JAGUAR's, 3) JAGUAR CD UNITS, CATBOX, SKUNKBOARD ECT. Lynx II, Lynx I..

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Still need some files with any cad drawings in them.

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi. Sorry I have been missing,

I had an illness about 10 years ago that made me very ill, and it came back.

I am linking the 3D file shown above for comment here https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfmh0ri6xhuuj ... .EASM?dl=0

2016-11-24 18_02_13-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [Vintage Tower.png

Above, I had created a clipping system, similar to the one below

ID859parts_MED.jpg

However, I was a little stuck with fitting the CT-PCI

2016-11-24 18_01_35-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [Vintage Tower.png

Overall, and looking at this a few years later, I am not happy with the overall hight. ... Originally I wanted to fit a STe into this, with an Ad-SCSI board, two PSU's and several full size SCSI drives and a CD-ROM - alongside other stuff.

2016-11-24 18_06_48-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [OVERVIEW - Sheet1 _].png

size.png

I have had an idea, of which I might start working on, to compact it. Part of the reason it ended up this size, was also I wanted to make it look less like a box, and more like the MegaSTe or TT case.

If you download the file linked above, it can be viewed with a free viewer from www.edrawings.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlexSTE
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby AlexSTE » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:20 pm

I am sorry to hear about your health. I hope you're ok.
Thank you for responding and posting file. I would love to re-case my STE, I have bunch of stuff that would not fit in it otherwise.
Also is there anything that keyboard can be transferred into?

Thanks

bid wrote:Hi. Sorry I have been missing,

I had an illness about 10 years ago that made me very ill, and it came back.

I am linking the 3D file shown above for comment here https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfmh0ri6xhuuj ... .EASM?dl=0

2016-11-24 18_02_13-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [Vintage Tower.png

Above, I had created a clipping system, similar to the one below

ID859parts_MED.jpg

However, I was a little stuck with fitting the CT-PCI

2016-11-24 18_01_35-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [Vintage Tower.png

Overall, and looking at this a few years later, I am not happy with the overall hight. ... Originally I wanted to fit a STe into this, with an Ad-SCSI board, two PSU's and several full size SCSI drives and a CD-ROM - alongside other stuff.

2016-11-24 18_06_48-SOLIDWORKS Professional 2016 x64 Edition - [OVERVIEW - Sheet1 _].png

size.png

I have had an idea, of which I might start working on, to compact it. Part of the reason it ended up this size, was also I wanted to make it look less like a box, and more like the MegaSTe or TT case.

If you download the file linked above, it can be viewed with a free viewer from http://www.edrawings.com

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Good to see you back :)

regarding the size, I suspect there are hardly any people using CDROMs on Atari anymore, now that compact flash storage is so readily available on IDE interfaces. Perhaps a smaller case that supports laptop size IDE drives ? with additional slots for CF cards?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Hey, welcome back.
I hope you completely recovered this time round.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:51 pm

spiny wrote:Good to see you back :)

regarding the size, I suspect there are hardly any people using CDROMs on Atari anymore, now that compact flash storage is so readily available on IDE interfaces. Perhaps a smaller case that supports laptop size IDE drives ? with additional slots for CF cards?

I do use a 2x SCSI CDRW for archive/backup purposes with the Mega ST4 that runs my BBS. However, I agree
with Spiny, I'm probably an exception, not the rule. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:03 pm

Great you are back!
Maybe it would be nice to have 2 versions, standard and slim.

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks for the best wishes.

Yes. I have had some thoughts on it. Acrylic is expensive, and also the bigger the case is, the more room there is for warping, as components are HEAVY ... especially the ones I was planning a few years ago, like SCSi CD-Roms etc, and 3.5" SCSI drives etc.

My new thoughts are on a slimmer design, and also supporting the tray was a problem that I was unable to find a good solution in acrylic previously.

Components and upgrades are now much lighter, and personally I want something so that I can access the motherboard more easily and also to show off the lovely stuff inside.

I suspect that with the new low cost IDE solutions, that using a slim CD drive is now more possible?

The tray was the big issue, as I wanted to leave room for PSU or CT60 type stacking boards, and finding ways to make an rasily removable internal tray and supporting it safely above the motherboard was difficult with the design above.

I have been looking at various ways in which acrylic can be cut to make clips with living hinges. This is hard with acrylic, as it can be very brittle, and it needs thinking about very carefully.

I want to use the clips above, or something like this to make it completely screwless. I've seen a nice design also on this case below for the Pi (I hate the Pi), which also has a clever clipping mechanism that does not strain the acrylic.

ID859parts_MED.jpg

So, for the keyboard, for example, I want to make it neat, but all clip together using a similar method. It also wants to look 'nice' and Atari like, and plus not show the clips, unless it adds to the aesthetic. Its easy to extend the keyboard, and I simply extended mine with telephone cord, and two plugs from Maplins.

I'll sketch some ideas up shortly and share them!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi bid, have you had time to make any more progress on this great design/idea?

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 am

Sadly been unwell. Diagnosed with Aspergers at age 39 - just a few weeks ago, and I have been struggling with obsessive worries about work / coping with life.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm

bid wrote:Sadly been unwell. Diagnosed with Aspergers at age 39 - just a few weeks ago, and I have been struggling with obsessive worries about work / coping with life.

Cheer up!!
Fight, the life always demands to fight for it at some time. You are not alone, it is very important to occupy the mind with positive thoughts: Atari is a good hobby and here you have us from all the places in the world.
Greetings from Seville (Spain).
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”