Universal Atari Modding Case

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Re: Universal Atari Modding Case

Postby wongck » Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 am

alanh wrote:Actually, Shredder looks very close to you. Any chance you can show bid a Falcon with CT60/CTPCI & Eiffel ?

There are some pictures of the Falcon with CTPCI at Guillaume's site.
The two shots from different angle shows the PSU & CTPCI hanging out of the Falcon.
Of course he has two PSU, one being used for his HDD.
Most people will use only one.
He also has close up shots to the 2 sections of CTPCI.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wthorbjo » Sun May 01, 2011 2:35 am

bid wrote:I really will need an idea of the types of cards fitted and specs of their sizes to confirm, and also your thoughts in this? I plan to supply the kit with every concevable option included, so I dont want to make for example the CTPCI fittings out of a huge amount of acrylic as I want to keep cost and weight down, and not everyone will use this (initially). But I can picture in my mind some neat solutions, and putting in relevant screw holes and slots for PCI boards. This would also be good perhaps for ST's with the EtherNEC too. How many PCI's are typically filled? I will try to put room in for 4 slots if it is required, and I require card depth info so that I can draw them in CAD and check fits and function? :D

To elaborate on my own setup, I would need room for the following:

- Falcon mainboard
- CT60 with CTPCI
- At least one half-height PCI slot, but preferably room for all 4 full-height slots.
- PicoPSU
- 2.5" HD (can easily be used in a 3.5" bay with adapter, so that's fine)
- 5.25" CD-ROM
- Floppy drive. Original/side position for the floppy would be fine
- Space for a Mega STE/TT keyboard connector (I plan to use a spare Mega STE kb with my Falcon)

It would also be great to be able to mount my Hydra (NetUSBee derived) ethernet adapter internally, with some kind of extension cable from the ROM port. The only PCI card I will use to begin with will be a (low profile/half height) graphics card, but I would definitely prefer to have room for all 4 PCI slots on the CTPCI, even if this would make the case a little larger and more expensive. Drivers for network cards, USB adapter and others are/could be under development, and I'd want this case to be as futureproof as possible!

My Falcon is not set up right now, but I could pull it out to make some measurements if you need me to.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I may very well order a second case at the same time, to have in store for a future "super" STFM/STE project. So mark me down for two, if you're counting!
wthorbjo
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Falcon030/CT63, 1040STE, etc...
wthorbjo
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bid » Sun May 01, 2011 1:03 pm

alanh wrote:I'm just outside Chester, and maybe could bring over a Falcon & CT60 & CTPCI to show you with an Eiffel too, unless someone is closer that has a Falcon setup. Anyone ?

I would sure like to take a look at the Falcon with CT60 Alan. What a great machine, quite incredible.

Yeah, so I am quite excited about this case too. I don't know why I never thought of it before? I do a lot of prototyping and especially have produced a lot of laser-cur acrylic models.

I got the idea from looking at the Digital Cowboy modding trays http://www.digitalcowboy.jp/products/ac.html some time ago, and I knew that I could do better. In fact I had considered designing some PC orientated boxes in Acrylic, as they look ace.

But also, I must mention that TTOwner guy inspired me also to build something new, and getting a busted MSTE off him. I'll enjoy trying to repair this, and its going to be the 1st, but definately not the last Atari machine I put in this case. Clearly electronics is not my main strength, but something that I am keen to learn.

I have spent a lot of time working with electronics guys, and the stuff I have been putting in boxes alately is pretty boring! Everything on a chip. Was fun at 1st, but I miss products like this one, which has a lot of interesting parts to explore and learn about. The Atari is going to look great in a clear case, and I just love those HUGE chips. Especially the 68000 on the MEGA ST... its about the size of a Mars Bar!!! :lol:

But how easy is it to access the real electronics. The pins are there ready for tinkering with, and the design of this computer (just like many products of yesteryear) has had so much work put into it by the original engineers, and is a thing of beauty. Really nice and careful layout. I would imagine that they had to route all the tracks manually?? :lol: There is something of an industrial aesthetic about it that is really nice. And of course the cool Atari logos on the motherboard. So cool!

krupkaj wrote:It is very nice concept, looking forward to real cases :)

Thanks a lot. It will look even better soon, as bear in mind that I have some drawing detail work to do, once I am through with the final spec.

You can trust me that this little baby is real. I have a stack of Ataris (well actually only two) that need a new case desperately, and I am going to have a lot of fun trying to mend a Mega STe and see if I can get it working. It has no case, and looks ideal for timkering. Might take me a long time to repair, cos I am planning to learn about these machines as I go. I think this is a really good introduction to electronics, and more fun in many ways. There is a great website called Vezz's Hardware Hacks http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/ , which I am sure many or all of you know about already, that seems to have plenty of entertaining mods, and it would be fun to see them, and also make something that allows easy modification. Plus I love the TT/MSTE desktop case.

I had to make a decision, what to make the case look like. There is the MSTE/TT Desktop case, or the uncomplete Falcon040 Microbox case. Personally, I think that the TT style case is more fun, and instantly recognisable, so I have attempted to take elements from this more loosely. The final product will of course have laser etching detail, and other finishing touches. The keyboard for example, will be pretty shiny in clear acyrylic, and I am hoping that when the power light or FFD light comes on, it will create a bit of a cool glowing effect. I'll probably copy some of the old Atari symbols for power and disk etc, you know, the isomentric ones, and etch these on there, and of course if you were to light up the case, these are the main bits that will 'glow'.

If I made it to look like the MicroBox case, it would just be two rectangles off-set from each other, and I dont think it would look so good in perspex, especially as I cannot create curves easily and certain details in acrylic require careful thought. I'll be slotting 3mm plastic sheet laser cut to size into tabs that are approx 2.9mm on drawing. This should leave a tight 'tolerance' fit that means the case will hold together well. I have designed some in-expensive fittings which I will share with you soon, that allow the case to be mechanically fastened using hex head bolts if required. These bots will not be necessary for every day tinkering, but if added will make the case quite sturdy. Personally I will be whipping the lid off from time to time, to play with it, as I cant help my urges to take things apart and tinker. I think it is an illness. :lol:

wongck wrote:There are some pictures of the Falcon with CTPCI at Guillaume's site.
The two shots from different angle shows the PSU & CTPCI hanging out of the Falcon.
Of course he has two PSU, one being used for his HDD. Most people will use only one.
He also has close up shots to the 2 sections of CTPCI.

I like this website, and I contacted the author some weeks ago to congratulate him. Its pretty dedicated, and I had noticed that he has recently added some new machines. Quite impressed, and this guy is still making some neat software. He has also got MSTE with a VME graphics card in it and other neat items.

However, looking that that sorry pile of wires, and a Atari Falcon with its guts hanging out, like some kind of lobotomy gone wrong, is precisely why I want to build this case. I personally think that Jack Tramels penny pinching just was that tiny tiny bit too much in the end, and Atari really should have updated their machines (which were fantastic, and technically stunning) that bit more often. I am guessing that the Falcon030 in a ST style case was originally intended to be a stop-gap, and not Ataris last model... With I am assuming the Faclon040 Microbox as the next model up, and in a desktop case.

Alan. The Falcon 040 had fittings for some kind of add in cards, is this anything like CTPCI, or is CTPI a completely different technology? What cards would the Falclon040 take, if it were produced, and does anyone here actually own a prototype? I know that a couple of prototypes were produced at one time?

Anyway, back to Guillaume's site. He is using by the looks of it 1x IDE or SCSI ZIP, 1x half height 3.5" HD and the CTPCI. The power supply appears to be Mini ATX which I think is 63mm x 125mm x 100mm, so I think I will definitely spec this as one of the PSU's to use in this case. However, with a full set of CT60 add its, it might be better to use the PicoPSU and this would make fitting and tinkering easier. Based on my existing design fitting a Mini ATX would leave approx 50mm of height available on the back right hand corner of a fitted motherboard. A 1U PSU would leave about 60mm height, and I have still to decide where to put the CTPCI, as I need the overall dimensions for the most used cards, such as the Radeons. Also airflow will be more important in these machines, than the regular ST. My TT030 is standard, yet gets pretty hot too. So Mhz means heat loss by the loko of it?

Still waaaaaaaaaaay better than a PC though I'll bet. I may fit optional fan positions at the rear of the case, but personally I will be trying to get away with as little noise and fans as possible!! A little bit different that the PeeCee brigade, who will no doubt be trying to add as MANY fans as possible to their noisy heat boxes. I love the quite Atari. So I have added some inexpensive fan speed controllers to my TT http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3PIN-Resistor-Cable-CPU-Fan-Speed-Reduce-1Pcs-Noiseless-/170632844262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba8293e6 , and with the lower fan speed, iy still tuns cool, but is way quiter.

wthorbjo wrote:
bid wrote:I really will need an idea of the types of cards fitted and specs of their sizes to confirm, and also your thoughts in this? I plan to supply the kit with every concevable option included, so I dont want to make for example the CTPCI fittings out of a huge amount of acrylic as I want to keep cost and weight down, and not everyone will use this (initially). But I can picture in my mind some neat solutions, and putting in relevant screw holes and slots for PCI boards. This would also be good perhaps for ST's with the EtherNEC too. How many PCI's are typically filled? I will try to put room in for 4 slots if it is required, and I require card depth info so that I can draw them in CAD and check fits and function? :D

To elaborate on my own setup, I would need room for the following:
- Falcon mainboard
- CT60 with CTPCI
- At least one half-height PCI slot, but preferably room for all 4 full-height slots.
- PicoPSU
- 2.5" HD (can easily be used in a 3.5" bay with adapter, so that's fine)
- 5.25" CD-ROM
- Floppy drive. Original/side position for the floppy would be fine
- Space for a Mega STE/TT keyboard connector (I plan to use a spare Mega STE kb with my Falcon)

Great info. Sure, this is precisely what I have resigned for. I'll upload some pics soon. Obviously not everyone is going to have for example CTPCI, so PicoPSU is a good choice over space hogging ATX. Obviously if someone wants to whack a ST in there then there is plently of room for a med sized ATX. I actually thing that the Falcon with CT60 would look better with a PicoPSU and external power pack (I'm guessing a laptop style black brick?) as any large PSU would cover up the luvly internals with rogue large an bulky PC parts. However for my MSTE which is dead as a dodo, and has no PSU (alongside no case, some missing roms etc etc) the ability to add ATX PSU will be a godsend, and also this is great to power my AdSCSI and a couple of hard drives and flash cards... perhaps an extra floppy etc

I also want the case to be ideal for standard ST, so clearly this machine would not have huge add-ons (unless anyone is making one?). But a ATX PSU or standard PSU can be used. Also move FDD to front on the ST and possiblity to remount external devices, such as 3rd party hard drive inside the new case. This is what I am going to do with my Ladbroke drive and change the old 40MB platter to 1GB ... So in a nutshell, I dont want to make the desktop case too big, as I want this to be as useful as possible to all users. I will try to see if I can fit CTPCI in with 4 slots, but I cant do this until I have drawn it up in 3D CAD, and I need the PCI card macx sizes too.

It would also be great to be able to mount my Hydra (NetUSBee derived) ethernet adapter internally, with some kind of extension cable from the ROM port.

Yep. You read my mind too!

I personally dont like the bare NetUSBee hanging out there to get broken. In fact TTOwner kindly provided me with a broken unit, and I am going to use this to develop a suitable internal mounting position. Can anyone suggest how long the Rom port could be extened with a plug and lead ribbon cable, as I am pretty sure that it would be physically limited by its sensitivity to electronic interference. I initially thought the rear left hand quater would be best, but this would interfere with the PSU (if ATX fitted), and annoyingly it has no mounting holes. So I will probably design a small caddy for it. Perhaps internally fit the USB to front of case, and the LAN to left exterior? I dont want to ruin the front face of the case, so I might consider that USB leads have to be fed under the 12mm front gap under the angled front. This I have created for the purpose of air cooling and making it easy to run cables into the case. I personally will be using this on ST's where I am too lazy to bother wiring up a plug for the extended keyboard lead. But again, I will add a slot for a Mini-DIN or similar to extend a traditional keyboard (as I have done my STe). But for those who want Efiel, I will likely add this to the front right hand side, with the keyboard plug to the exterior.

The only PCI card I will use to begin with will be a (low profile/half height) graphics card, but I would definitely prefer to have room for all 4 PCI slots on the CTPCI, even if this would make the case a little larger and more expensive. Drivers for network cards, USB adapter and others are/could be under development, and I'd want this case to be as futureproof as possible!

My Falcon is not set up right now, but I could pull it out to make some measurements if you need me to.

Please could you do this? It would be very very helpful indeed!

I need,
a. The PCI card max sizes (width and length)
b. The height of the CT60 from mainboard surface to its highest point
c. The height again with the Ram fitted
d. Again with the PCTCI fitted.
e. A rough measurement of 4 dimensions giving me the location of the CT60 measured from the back left hand corner of the Falcon Motherboard.

I forgot to mention that I may very well order a second case at the same time, to have in store for a future "super" STFM/STE project. So mark me down for two, if you're counting!

Again, you read my mind. I now realise that I need my trusty STe, and its the only computer I bought from new... when I was about 14! lol. :lol: I cant part with it, so its ripe for having its brains ripped out and some wire modifications and other cool bits that I can admire and ask on the Forum what I have done wrong! I have not started counting yet but the more the merrier! Unlike a PCB I wont need a min order quanity, as setup for CNC will be a lot easer, but obviously there is a lot of work on my end to lay out all the DXF's etc. But even if I was the only one having one, I would still be ordering 2 for myself. But I will be very happy to make a bulk purchase, and obviously this will reduce the part prices. It will of course be self assembly, Ikea style and I will produce some instructions and labelled part numbers / exploded diagram etc. There is gonna be some cleaning of boards though as my ST keyboard and mainboard are very grubby. I am guessing that Isopropyl Alcohol is the way forward? :lol:
Atari 520STe (4MB) from new (",), Atari Mega ST4 (given by customer), Atari Mega STe broken motherboard (with chips missing) and Atari TT030 (2MB now partly working, + some bits I am going to add soon)
Also, see my new blog about my Atari TT Adventures http://atari-bid.blogspot.com/ my company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Sun May 01, 2011 1:34 pm

bid wrote:I personally think that Jack Tramels penny pinching just was that tiny tiny bit too much in the end, and Atari really should have updated their machines (which were fantastic, and technically stunning) that bit more often.

I don't blame them for saving as much penny as possible, when they just bought Atari till ST was shipping, they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
As for upgrading, they were upgrading with the Microbox and other Falcon040 variants but they were just too late and they bet on the wrong horse, competing against 3DO etc.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wthorbjo » Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Finally got the Falcon out to do some measuring. Hope this is useful, let me know what else you need!

bid wrote:a. The PCI card max sizes (width and length)
b. The height of the CT60 from mainboard surface to its highest point
c. The height again with the Ram fitted
d. Again with the PCTCI fitted.
e. A rough measurement of 4 dimensions giving me the location of the CT60 measured from the back left hand corner of the Falcon Motherboard.

a. According to Wikipedia, the maximum dimensions for a PCI card are "a height of 107 mm (4.2 inches) and a depth of 312 mm (12.283 inches). The height includes the edge card connector."

b. The highest point on my CT63 (not counting the RAM stick) is the top of the cooling fan, which is about 35mm above the Falcon mainboard.

c. The RAM stick protrudes about 50mm from the top of the Falcon mainboard. RAM varies in size, so it's probably good to leave some extra room.

d. The CTPCI does not protrude above the top of the cooling fan of the CT63, but does add a little bit to the horizontal dimensions (see picture).

e. I've marked the dimensions on this picture (click to embiggen):

The dimensions of the CTPCI daughter card, which is connected to the CTPCI board by two IDE cables, are shown in this file from Rodolphe Czuba's website: http://www.powerphenix.com/ctpci/ATX_drilling.pdf
wthorbjo
Edmonton, AB, Canada
wthorbjo
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby nativ » Tue May 17, 2011 10:40 pm

just a few thoughts?

Can this case be 'minid'

I am planning to recase an Atari 130xe! :)

Also if a mini case is suitable could this be used for a firebee?

:cheers:
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records
nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bid » Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm

wthorbjo wrote:Finally got the Falcon out to do some measuring. Hope this is useful, let me know what else you need!

Great great great work!!!! :D Thank you!

I have had a lot of work on via my small company, so this had had to get done for paying customers. However, I am still very excited about this case, and I will post updates and do some more work on it just as soon as I can.

Dont worry. The case is going to definitely get made. This is for sure!!

Laser cutting is very cheap nowadays, and I will have 2 myself for sure.

The final Atari Case design will be fitting these components, and I need to draw up all the boards in 3D to ensure fit and wiring is ok. Also next stage is to confirm the design. I'll be putting some new images up soon. I intend to add cool logos, fixing points for any and all equipment that could in, and possibly the wiring looms needed for 16 bit ST's to extend keyboard. Its easy to make.

My main aim, still though is to keep the size down, and make the design 'tight'. I dont want huge huge case, even for my broken MSTE. But especially I want this to suit a nice simple ST or Falcon. But it is important that if users want to fit a CD rom, or IDE drive, that this is easy to do, and looks cool! I love the Atari PCB's and they look great with their pad printed huge white Atari logo's! The Mega ST 68000 is the size of a Mars Bar!! :lol: And I am guessing that this is the same in the STFM, although I do not have one unfortunately!!

I am def going to pretty up one of them with some kind of cheap chinese PC modding lighting off eBay for silly prices (like £2) so this will be my Atari artwork!!

But my main interest is in the fact that I have now 2 machines, that I want to mod the hell out of. And to do this, I need a stable base to bolt and fix things to. But if I am doing this, I might as well make it fit every type of machine.

Hardest bit is measuring off the bolt locations for all the ST, STE, TT etc motherboard types. Then I will specify or supply plastic clips (ready made) that will allow the board to fix in place. My Mega ST with a broken case will be 1st to go in, then upgrade heavily!!! lol. Its going to get the works!!!

But this case will have some excellent advantages for me.
1. Easy to upgrade and tweak / open
2. Allow me to save desk space / plus look very cool (and add lighting if I like?)
3. Cheaper than buying a new case, and does not go yellow!!! lol
4. Saves having a desk full of bits / screws etc ... I don't like tidying up!
5. Can use in "Desk Side" or Monitor Side format. i.e. in its end (the FDD end) and therefore have an upright case.

My major gripe with modding the Atari, is that when I move wires or if things like the CF card etc are not fixed down, I tent to get intermittent errors. I want something solid that finishes the lot off. But with a easy to remove cover... just in case I cant resist running my fingers over the Mars Bar and caressing the capacitors.

Making the laser cut box is not so hard. Just need to finish off my ongoing projects for paying customers 1st!!!

Cheers, Bid
Atari 520STe (4MB) from new (",), Atari Mega ST4 (given by customer), Atari Mega STe broken motherboard (with chips missing) and Atari TT030 (2MB now partly working, + some bits I am going to add soon)
Also, see my new blog about my Atari TT Adventures http://atari-bid.blogspot.com/ my company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Mon May 23, 2011 11:24 pm

nativ wrote:just a few thoughts?
Can this case be 'minid'
I am planning to recase an Atari 130xe! :)
Also if a mini case is suitable could this be used for a firebee?
:cheers:

Hi Native.

I have considered your idea. I course it is possible.

However, I had planned that if I got a Firebee, then I would still personally want to fit it into a TT sized case. ... Actually this case is TT size apart from about 30mm extra height. This is so I can add the 'tray' that will allow CD-ROM and full height 5,1/4" disk drives, Caddies, floppy, zip etc etc to it. Something that the TT and MSTE lacks.

I think that the never released TTX case would have been "Desk Side" and have room for these drive bays. So this design that I am presenting is a bit of a combination. I love the TT/MSTE Case, and now I got one this year, I have to say, its great!

The truth of the TT style case is that it was actually designed I believe for the ST series. Some kind of Super ST or perhaps this was the MSTE. Or perhaps the STe that never was!? The original STe spec was apparently more than just an extra 4096 colours, a blitter and 2 extra joystick ports.

But I digress. If I was a Firebee user, I would want an Atari like case to slap it in. And probably something that has some of the design cues that Ira Valinsky used (which I think was actually WWII Nazi Architecture, lol :lol: And I am not joking, look it up! ) ... So a big square box with slopey sides, and some diagonal patterns, and monlithic with hints of the Romans.

Also, I am thinking my Firebee would have at least one CD-Rom, one FDD, and I would also want an internal PSU and probably a card reader. So ok, there would be more generous room than say, shoehorning a Falcom CT60 with all its gubbins attached by miles of ribbon cable and ridiculous add on cards with PC memory fitted and PCI cards. Crazy crazy people!! :lol: But, the minimaist approch of the Firebee would sure look good in this I think. At least in my opinion.

Perhaps I would just have to fill up any remaining space with electroluminescent (EL) wire, or those spinning colored LED fans (not really needed I know) or maybe, I would add some other crazy device.

I have never seen a real 130XE, so I cant say. Is it a lot smaller than the ST, and is the keyboard also smaller? Perhaps if this is successful I might make some other cases after this one? What would a 130XE recased look like? Perhaps I will have to tower up my old ZX81, and finally sort out that 'wobbly' 16k Rampack!! lulz :lol:
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 am

I am currently reviewing if I can fit in CT PCI and also measure up the PCB hole positions for all the motherboards.

But I only have MEGA4, MSTE, TT and STe so far. I'll prob have to visit someone with a Falcon, or STfm to get the specs for these, and also ask for Firebee DXF's from developer.

The CT PCI is a pig as its 90mm square, and I really dont want to make the case any bigger than 90mm tall as it fits a CD rom and motherboard for all Atari perfectly. I am not prepared to make the case any larger than it is (on the original drawings) as otherwise normal ST's and Firebee would be dwarfed in the case... and it is cheaper and better to make an all-on-one.

I am thinking that CT PCI owners will have to have one of these options
a. Put it where the PSU goes and they have to use Pico PSU (rear left corner). PCI slots exit to rear.
b. Goes above extended (STE) joysick ports (front left) where TT Ram is on the TT and PCI slots exit to left.
c. It goes at far right of the case, where FDD would be in oridinary Falcon, and the FDD goes to front middle. The PCI cables then exit to rear.

Prob is that I have fitted a CD rom tray, so option (c) is hard as I dont want to compromise tray.
If I do option (a) I find that the CT PCI is too close to Rom port and could cover this... unless i increase case height, which I dont want to do.
And option (b), means that I have to leave hole for PCI cards on the left side of the case. Obviously 99% of people wont use CT PCI so I dont want to ruin the case for everyone else.

I have not been able to work out what is best solution yet. And I will need to draw in some typical PCI card sizes, look at the ribbon cable length and make some tough decisions. The advantage of (a) is that I am going to fit a square panel there anyway with a standard ATX PSU screw holes. So if a user fits CT PCI here, then a simple replacement panel for PCI slots is easy! Drawback here is that the PCI card obstructs the rom port, and also only room for 2x pci cards. I dont want to force users cut the CT PCI down (which it is designed to do!), and also this would cover up the cool looking CT60 which is nice to look at!

I could put a panel at the far right rear, behind the CD Rom shown. And a gap in the CD Rom drive tray, (which is just a flat sheet of clear acrylic with holes in it anyway), and thus port the PCI cards to rear here? This is good, as the falcon does not extend all the way to the right of case (as I also designed to fit TT and MSTE which is approx 40cm wider!) and thus prob get 3-4 PCI cards in. But this is the only area where I have left room to put in a CD Rom... I could also make CD Rom fitting possible in the middle bay, but then, could be very little (or no room for floppy)? I have tried to make it so that floppy can be moved to front without new cable needed. Currently the only electronic mod needed for this case is to extend the keyboard (Falcon and ST only), and this is so easy its a DIY job anyone can do. There is a molex, and only 7 wires to extend. If you want you can add a plug, but also I have left a gap to run wires under too. Anybody care to comment?

Also question for owners of several machines. Are the screw holes for the STe mainboard in the same position as the ST, and STFM? If not I'll have to get one. I'll also have to get some way to measure up Falcon screw holes. Either visit someone, or trust them to dim them up. I think I may have to make a visit to see someone who is an Atari horder! And I know that there are several on here! lol

The front left, is a possible good option. But again, I will have to make PCI slots and then a cover for them. Prob could make this look 'designed in' though, or like a cooling vent. Also, perhaps suggest to make a ST PCI ??!! ... Actually this would be good for Ether NEC I would bet. Anyway, thats what it is about. Comments / suggestions?
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby krupkaj » Tue May 24, 2011 9:26 pm

bid wrote:
nativ wrote:I have never seen a real 130XE, so I cant say. Is it a lot smaller than the ST, and is the keyboard also smaller? Perhaps if this is successful I might make some other cases after this one? What would a 130XE recased look like? Perhaps I will have to tower up my old ZX81, and finally sort out that 'wobbly' 16k Rampack!! lulz :lol:

The 8bit is really smaller. Did you see 520 ST (the one without floppy drive and with external power supply)? If you cut the numeric block of the 520ST you will got approximately the size of the XE.
krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby CiH » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Nice work!

Put me down as potentially interested. :D

My requirements would be something like this:

Falcon with CT60, room for a Supervidel on top of it. The keyboard is nice but I do have a Mega ST keyboard with adaptor that can be plugged in. (I do still have the original F030 keyboard as well for it.)
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"
CiH
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Sun May 29, 2011 9:30 pm

OK. So I am going to do some more work on this as soon as I can. Very encouraging.

I will need to see someone with a Falcon, and preferably a CT PCI and measure up. I'll need to get all the screw hole positions for the PCB standoffs, and also a good measure around the ports... Perhaps a demo too? :lol:

Once I have done all this, I will be able to lay out a 'nested' version. That is as a flat DXF drawing to size for the lazer cutting. This will then enable me to get a very accurate cost for this profiling and I am hoping not too much material useage. I am going to nest very carefully, and make this as cheap as possible. Luckily there is no tooling, so I expect to get a good price.

I am also open still to suggestions and ideas. But mainly I will now need to measure up hardware that I don't have, if anyone wants to help!
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby MiggyMog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 pm

BID

There is mention of Hydra above, if you wan't a smaller project then how much would you reckon it would cost to make a batch of cartridge cases witch could hold the like of hydra,netusbe or other hobby cartridge board? I was thinking many people who bought Hydra may like a case for it! I bought two but I would rather they had a nice case? Does anyone else agree?
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 pm

MiggyMog wrote:BID

I was thinking many people who bought Hydra may like a case for it! I bought two but I would rather they had a nice case? Does anyone else agree?

Yes and no. Yes because that would give it some much needed protection, however it would be a damn shame to hide the great looks that it has! Mind you this whole thread has been about transparent cases, so I suppose this should be ok. :cheers:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby MiggyMog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 am

Yes and no. Yes because that would give it some much needed protection, however it would be a damn shame to hide the great looks that it has! Mind you this whole thread has been about transparent cases, so I suppose this should be ok.

Transparent would be great as Hydra for example has three LEDs.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 pm

MiggyMog wrote:Transparent would be great as Hydra for example has three LEDs.

Tell you what. I'll make a Hydra rom port dongle 1st if you like. Dead easy, I have already thought of a way to make a nice clear one. Probs are that it has no screw holes, but I have an idea how I might achieve a good fit using laser profiled shapes.

Prob is I could really do with one to do the work. I have no idea how much they are, and I had not planned on buying one. Can I get an idea of how many people want it, and I will start the drawing this weekend. Once the profiles are drawn up and I have numbers I will be able to give an accurate quote. I'll also post a drawing and rendering very soon. Cheers, Bid
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 pm

MiggyMog wrote:Transparent would be great as Hydra for example has three LEDs.

Tell you what. I'll make a Hydra rom port dongle 1st if you like. Dead easy, I have already thought of a way to make a nice clear one. Probs are that it has no screw holes, but I have an idea how I might achieve a good fit using laser profiled shapes.

Prob is I could really do with one to do the work. I have no idea how much they are, and I had not planned on buying one. Can I get an idea of how many people want it, and I will start the drawing this weekend. Once the profiles are drawn up and I have numbers I will be able to give an accurate quote. I'll also post a drawing and rendering very soon. Cheers, Bid
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Shredder11 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Hydra cost me approx £23 last year. Might be an idea to get in touch with the person who made them last year, as I hear he is planning a new batch soon. Maybe you could agree to make a few limited edition cases and send them out as each Hydra sells.
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alanh » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:21 am

Add to this, it'd be great to get an Eiffel case too. I need to meet up with you anyway to show you a Falcon with CT60 etc. :-)
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.
alanh
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby alanh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Any updates bid ?

I guess we need to meet up ?
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.
alanh
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:20 pm

alanh wrote:Any updates bid ?

I guess we need to meet up ?

Hi, yes we should meet up. And yes, I will complete this.

Been busy with other projects that I have been designing commercially. But I am also anxious to complete this.. I will need to measure up a falcon, CT PCI and some other bits. So this, and time are my the things slowing the job up at the moment.

Please PM me again, and we will arrange a meet up. Cheers, Bid
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 pm

OK. So I have measured up a Falcon now, including all the PCB fixing positions. Firebee also, and a variety of cards and other add-ons.

I have also measured up component heights for some add-in cards, such as ST and TT Ram. PSU's etc.

Still need ideally.
1. DXF 's for the CT60 and CT PCI ideally (will save me time to draw up and be more accurate)
2. I have the DXF for the Hydra, but I need DXF for NetUSB
3. Still dont have holes for STFM? Can someone confirm if it is the same mechanically as the STe? I have the STe and if the PCB holes are the same, this would be great to confirm?

Can anyone help with the above 3 points?

Cheers, Bid
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby TTowner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:05 am

Well what an amazing idea this is turning into. I am pleased that I had the opportunity to have John over at my place & to consult with him about the new case in detail.
I wish to say that when this case is fully developed/ available, that it trully will be an amazing case.
We discussed in detail some radical ideas and have hopefully brought to the mix a vast ammount of data that John intends to consider for the project.

I invisage a case as he does, a trully radical modification to the asthetics and functionality of the Atari case is way overdue & his idea has much merit.
Long overdue is the upgrade of the case, as since it was fist designed there has been many new & innovative hardware additions to the scene.

A case with ice cool blue led lighting would be radical.. Anyone else think so?

I would like to make a suggestion to the followers & to John that we push for more hardware mods to be designed and to progress allbeit slowly but methodically with any new modifications so as to keep the atari scene thriving.

This project may just spark some hackers & techies into doing just this.

John, We talked about the VME slot expansion.
I for one would love to see a place that is allocated for this into the rear of the case where you propose the CD drive could be fitted.
I am not fussed about having a cdrom fitted into this case..

I think a measured space of the size of the VMEcard interface holder on the TT, you have one in your TT so a dimension & size calc should be easy to reproduce in two upright perspex sides which have groves cut into them to secure a card or cards that are slid into this space.Even going so far as to add upto 8 slots for the relevant fitting of cards.

& your idea about an internal VME ide interface with a Laptop ide drive surface mounted is superb. As most TT users would love the ability to integrate such an upgrade.

I for one am a little sick of my nova card flopping around in an external box. The cable length is so fiddely and cumbersome & would benefit from an internal modd as suggested. Perhaps the bottom slot of such a VME upgrade could be utilised as the fitting position for the video card then stacked on top could be a slot for the rest of the VME cards such as the spektrum vme video card, the reibel lan card and then the top most one for the ide drive card if anyone would care to make one as is the potential to fit to it the CF card reader seems also to be a great possibility.
Thus having all ide connected internally and in such a way as to be fully accessible for upgrade without having to remove layers of vme cards to get at the IDE section.

I look for your comments one & all.

Great work your doing on the modded case. I want one or maybe even two for my TT's, you have my vote on this m8.
Hades060 & 2 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network cards,1 Netusb,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 2 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan.Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers.Mega STE .[url]http://www.llill.co/5j
[/url]
TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 am

TTowner wrote:We discussed in detail some radical ideas and have hopefully brought to the mix a vast ammount of data that John intends to consider for the project.

Hi, yes thanks. We looked at a number of ideas, machines and options.

I forgot to mention. There is definitely going to be card slot storage/expansion in this case. And this will be for
a. VME to ISA adaptors - such as Nova (TT, MSTE)
b. Cardridge Port to ISA adaptors - such as Ether NEC (All Atari)
c. CT60 PCI 1 to 6 slots - for Radeon etc (Falcon CT60)

Of the 3 above, it is pretty easy I think to cludge the 3 card slot types together into a common bay. I will most likely seat the network card or ET4000 graphics card directly on the acrylic middle shelf (for HD mounting etc) and pop out of rear or front left side, in front of PSU.

- Front left side in front of PSU
- Advantages; closer to cartridge for EtherNEC. More height for CT-PCI. No major mods or components are located here on any Atari! (apart from TT Ram, but that still leaves room for card above easily).
- Disadvantages; Obviously VGA output to side (or top if in tower orientation). But this might have one advantage, and that is sometimes you want to pull out or change the VGA, particulatly with GFX cards (unless your smart, and have fitted a switchbox).

- To rear middle, with PSU to left
- Advantages; Closer to VME for Nova. Next to the CT60 also. VGA output to rear.
- Disadvantages; There is little room here for the full 6x PCI in PC CTI. Also, the wiring would have to be more messy by the looks of the images i have seen for CT60, as may need to stretch ribbon over the CT6O Fan.

- To rear right hand side
- Advantages; Again out of way. VGA output to rear.
- Disadvantages; Too far away for ribbons for others excluding TT Nova. Procludes fitting of CD-Rom in 5.25" bay.

The CT-PCI is the biggest pain so far. It is quite large, and I think I have no option but to put on front left hand side, with VGA port extending to side. Luckily the Falcon mobo is about 2" shorter then TT or MSTE, so I can mount CT-PCI vertically here, with CT-PCI PCB touching the base and top, and underside tight to front panel. This would make only 3 of the CT-PCI slots available, due to the lowest possibly interfering with the Falcon motherboard. But I dont see anyone using all 4 slots just yet anyway. Prob, can have also a single position to rear for other cards, or cut down CT-PCI use.

I have measured off the Nova card, and some other VME. However, I will require physical size of Radeon measuring off, and the EtherNEC. Cheers, Bid
bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wthorbjo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm very excited to see this project progressing! Looking forward to seeing a sketch or model when you're ready to share.
wthorbjo
Edmonton, AB, Canada
wthorbjo
Atari freak
Atari freak

PreviousNext

Return to Professionals