Universal Atari Modding Case

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Universal Atari Modding Case

Postby bid » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:43 pm

wthorbjo wrote:I'm very excited to see this project progressing! Looking forward to seeing a sketch or model when you're ready to share.

I am just drawing up some more detailing as we speak. But due to commitments, I am guessing it wont be ready for a couple of months. So I hope everyone is patient!!!

I will upload some improved images soon. So keep watching this space!! :D

Also I am getting some chips made up for my broken MSTE board, so hopefully this will be the 1st Atari I drop into this new case. I am going to slap in AdSCSI, CD-Rom, Hard Drive, VME Card and ATX PSU and some other cool bits. So it will definitely get made. Ill get some updated pics very soon. Cheers, Bid
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:48 am

OK, I just got back this week, and have been away working.

I had a play with my STe with some hard drives and bits and bobs, and I accidentally electrocuted myself with 240V !!! lol :lol: It did not kill me, but made me move very quickly (and involuntarily) back.

So, I guess I better get this finished off. My mind is made up now!! Tinkering is no good without a suitable case!!! Lol. And I am going to add an acrylic cover to the standard PSU (if fitted) as it holds some charge... believe me!! :D

Its so frustrating trying to fits hard drives, and compact flash, play about with hardware etc. My MEGA ST is on the blink (I think that the FDD is on the way out) so I am back to using my trusty 4MB STe... But that currently has no case lol :lol: but a nicely extended keyboard. Checked the STe out today, for fitting in the new case, and the internal floppy cable is ideal length to mount the FDD on the front in the centre.. just like in the MSTE. In my case, I am going to mount the STe with a ICD AdSCSI internally, seperate keyboard and perhaps 1-2 SCSI devices. I reckon the standard PSU has enough juice to run one solid state drive and one motorised drive, either internal SCSI Zip, HD or CD-ROM. I want to be able to easily whip one of these in and out quickly, and the case will have standard fittings for this.

If the old broken MSTE board can be fixed up, it needs a new home, as has no case. I am adding fittings for standard ATX and Micro ATX psu's to screw into the rear. The mod is easy to connect to the ST power connector, using the 5v and 12v from the 4 pin molex. I will also add fitments for internal mounting of UltraSatan and other useful items.

I find that when playing about with these old systems, I have had a LOT of problems with the cables, just causing faults and mainly cos the plug connectors are not great. Really needs some firm fixings to bolt things to to add some reliability. My main big job now, is to add all the fixing details for a lot of Atari boards. Just will take some time to input, but I really need this myself now, as I cant recase things... as I just keep having to take them apart again. So annoying.

This case will certainly help to make things run reliably, and I now have no choice but to finish it, as I just one a compact reliable all-in-one unit, that I can trust wont hurt me... or itself. Tricky bits are the fastening features to clip the laser cut sheets together. I cant find any suitable fastener, so I have developed a 'T' shaped slot, in which I will put a square nut, and a hex head bolt goes through a hole on the other sheet, and into the base of the 'T'. The top of the 'T' will hold the square nut. Just need to be careful that over-tightening does not cause cracking.

Has anyone seen any good (cheap) ways to join acrylic with mechanical fasteners at right angles? Otherwise I will use this method. Anyway, going to try and complete this, so watch this space.

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 am

Hi Bid.
Doing a great job :D .
I know your not counting yet, but I will take at least one, but more than likely two.

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks Mark,

I have been busy, and if you had not realised yet, I am copying some of the techniques used on the Japanese "Acrylic Cowboy" products, and this gave me the idea.

Here is a picture of a simpler "Acrylic Cowboy" rig, but it gives an idea of how the laser cut parts can be added together.

Obviously in the Atari case, I want to protect the vintage computer, so this will include a solid case around the outsides. The main cost here is the cost of acrylic sheet, and I am using plenty... as I am designing fitting to fill all kinds of drive arrangements, add-ons, and upgrades.

I am hoping that this will cost less than UltraSatan as a benchmark. And certainly the Satan will be able to fit internally. If you are lucky enough to have an ST with an AdSCSI or similar (just an external hard drive will do!), then i am making it so the hard drive and boards can also be fitted internally. So that is a one piece ST with internal SCSI

In this case I recommend fitting a FLEX ATX Psu, which is easy, and I will post instructions. But the standard ST or Falcy PSU will also fit, so this makes it easy to add and upgrade as you like!!

I have all the motherboard fittings now for putting into the base, but I just have some esoteric things like CTPCI to complete and other add-ins.
- Are there any other SCSI boards other than ICD AdSCSI that people want to fit? The FLEX ATX psu will easily have enough juice to do this, just beware that the FDD style connector on the FLEX ATX is not the same as the power socket on the AdSCSI and will need some wires changing round. But other than that easy. You can use standard ASCI cable to route. But I would recommend building up flat ribbon cables, with headers to run up inside the case if fitting hard drives internally in an ST.

I have been in touch with the maker of the CT60 and CTPCI and I am hoping soon to have enough info to make fitting of PCI cards easier. Also, I have some info now to fit ISA network cards for ST such as EtherNEC.

Would Mark or anyone else like to tell me what they might plan to fit into an Atari case? Perhaps machine, initial requirements, and plans for the future. This will help me to specify the product, and ensure that there is sufficient room inside and that cabling is easy. I wish to make the case as small as possible, so I dont want to over-do the capacity.

Can anyone suggest what they might be putting in such a case? Motherboard, add-ins etc? - I would be interested if any items are being fitted that I have not yet mentioned!

Cheers, Bid

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Err, most of what I am intending to do may well be covered by what you were thinking anyway :mrgreen:
One case would be for my Falcon with CT60 & CTPCI (if possible I want all the slots available and I know that I will have to buy a smaller PSU for it). Space permitting, I may add a second HDD in the form of either a another 2.5in (it already has a SCSI 2.5in) or a IDE CF.
A possible second case would be for my Atari 1040STE, and a possible IDE CF. If space I may fit a UltraSatan inside and maybe a network card (depending on space depends on which type).
And if the cases do not cost too much, I may buy one ready for a FireBee... Not sure what I will be including here though :lol:

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 pm

1024MAK wrote:Err, most of what I am intending to do may well be covered by what you were thinking anyway :mrgreen:
One case would be for my Falcon with CT60 & CTPCI (if possible I want all the slots available and I know that I will have to buy a smaller PSU for it). Space permitting, I may add a second HDD in the form of either a another 2.5in (it already has a SCSI 2.5in) or a IDE CF.
A possible second case would be for my Atari 1040STE, and a possible IDE CF. If space I may fit a UltraSatan inside and maybe a network card (depending on space depends on which type).
And if the cases do not cost too much, I may buy one ready for a FireBee... Not sure what I will be including here though :lol:
Mark

I am finishing off all my commercial work this week, and I am taking a holiday. Also, I now have lots of information regarding the CT60+CTPCI and other exciting Atari developments and add ons. So I will be posting some updates very soon.

There will be room to add either 3.5" or 2.5" hard drive, and either more than one, or a CD-Rom if required. I am making covers for the drive bays (very simple flat acrylic laser cut ones), that will accomodate Compact Flash or SD Cards for example. Also they will have 4-5 variants for fitting various kinds of floppy drives, or even Zip etc.

Network card wise. The cheapest seems to be EtherNEC, and these are still available. I have measured up, and I am adding card fitting to the case anyway, so the ISA card will have fittings in this case, and EtherNEC would fit in the final case also!!! I am making up flat ribbons to fit the Hydra or NetUSB, and I am just working on locations for these now. But to be honest, I might just keep them external, as they are quite handy, and I might just make a bracket or cartridge cover.

The fire bee is very small. I will of course add the 6-8 mounting holes for this. But I would probably not put firebee in this myself, purely as there will be a lot of wasted space. Unless of course you want internal ATX PSU, CD-ROM but would prob not need hard drive. However, I believe that there are PCU extensions for the Firebee in the future, so perhaps this case might be useful? Perhaps if you pad out space with some cold cathode lighting (lol I have bought some in readyness!! :lol: )

The more cases the better. I will be supplying in flat pack, after I have built mine and shown photos and example installs etc. It will be self assembly, and interlock with slots and keyed bolting areas, using decorative allen bolts, and easy to assemble. I will supply with it all fixings, including hard drive screws, brackets, and instructions. I will also be posting assembly instructions for any cables, or optional items that people might want to build.

Cables are optional, as I have built for example the FDD position to use the existing cable from ST or Falcon. But I will supply instructions for these, and I intend to use non-solder techniques in this case. For example, keyboard extension is a crimp method. Adding a plug and socket is optional, and again, I am trying to source simple plug and socket that requires minimal effort to attach, and I will illustrate all assembly.

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:45 pm

Just a quick other image, as I posted it on another thread to ask about ribbon cables.

You can see my 1st chosen position for CT-PCI and Radeon (in red).

However, I am also considering center-rear location. Other locations are impossible due to the short length of the CT-PCI twin ribbon cables.

Shown is a ATX PSU, but using a CT60 a slimline micro-ATX, or a PicoPSU. If all CT60 users were happy I could:-
(a) put the CT-PCI in the rear-left corner position, where the PSU usually is... but this means PSU would have to be where the CD-Rom is.. so no CD-Rom I'm afraid.
(b) Just use Pico-PSU in this, and then everything is left ok, as there is more room.
(c) If PCI is put to rear, then there cannot be 4x PCI slots
- I have been told that no-one will probably use more than 2 slots anyway, in reality.
- But the only place where I can put the CT PCI, without stripping it down to 2x slots is in the offside left postion shown,
From this list http://www.evercase.co.uk/PowerSupplyMeasurement.htm only option "9" will fit. But in a normal ST you might get away with the standard ATX "1" as no CT PCI or CT60 is in the way. I will be fitting a slimline one in mine though anyway, as they look cool.

If its ok for me to say "yes, you have to cut the CT-PCI in half", (as it is designed to do so!), then I have more ergonomic/attractive options perhaps. But I will not make the case bigger than 100mm as I wish this to good good for ST, and all Atari too. And in the current position shown, only the top 3 of the PCI slots are usable anyway, as the Falcon motherboard obscures the lowest position. I felt that this was good, as users will not use all four anyway, but advantage is that it does not need the splitting down to 2x slots.

I have one more option for CT-PCI in this case. And that is using a PCI-right-angle-adaptor for Radeon http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=IOH-RISER-PCI&af=50 (can anyone find a 2-way version?). If I specify this, then I can flatten out the CT-PCI, and make the whole thing a bit neater, and make the card position more interesting. Comments please?

Silly_Pony
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Silly_Pony » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Assuming PSU option 9 doesn't cost too much, I say go for it.

Looking forward to seeing your progress mate.
1040STe, 1040STf

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi Bid,

Been reading this thread with interest.
Have you managed to get any further with the designs?

Cheers

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Good to hear from you!

I have been very busy with my personal business, www.thebigconsultant.com and have recently been designing two commercial products. One of them was recently presented the a big brand high street firm on Friday. So I have had little time to work on my hobbies.

This is something that I hope to change in the near future. :wink:

I am still very keen to finish the design, and build the the Atari case design. I have a Atari TT which at the moment I have a lot of hard drives and other peripherals hanging out of, and also a Mega STe motherboard, which has no case. I am exited to repair and use the Mega STe, as it is a machine that is fast (16Mhz) and also has the software compatibility for MIDI, plus great expandability.

I have been donated some SCSI Zip drives, and I also have SCSI CD-ROM's and also several ASCI and SCSI to IDE converter boards. Plus other interesting items, which I would like to experiment with. ... These need fitting somehow better than the 'traditional hanging out of the machine' method, that I and many people here seem to utilise (below)

Plus, I have seen that Falcon users have greater problems than this. lol :lol:

I still do derive a great deal of pleasure from using the Atari platform... Even though my 3D CAD work involves me using the latest high end PC (Quad Core 4Ghz with 8GB RAM and expensive Quadro graphics, etc). I get no pleasure from recreational or music computing on the PC. ... God, and I love the simplicity too.

It just damn works, and brings back all the feelings of something that you own and can control. You know how it works, and it does not have the same big brother crazyness of the PC. ... I booted up my ST recently, as I needed to get some old CAD drawings off it. And it still amazed me that the 256k OS booted in less than a few seconds, and the windowing was actually quicker than my Quad Core PC... Something is wrong with modern computers people! ... Just amazing design in the ST, and so beautifully done, more with less. ... Anyway, I digress.

For a Falcon, I think that there is even more reason to break out to a custom desktop case:-
- The Falcon case is small
- Adding devices can be clumsy
- It has always looked like a 1988 STfm
- Does not show off the beautiful and elegant electronics.
Computers are really not made like this any more, to "do more with less" and unbelievable capabilities considering the limited chipset and clock speeds.

So, the case will fit all (with motherboard mounting holes for all machines), and I am intending to have the components ordered in bulk with the parts laser cut, and etched also with logos etc using the same process.

However, as this is not going to earn me money, and is a labour of love (something that I have wanted to do since a kid), then I have to finish off my commercial projects first.

But I have a number of things in mind also, for when I get the machine case set up. Like showcasing the board and components. Easy wiring, and removable trays. All laser cut ala Acrylic Cowboy cases. I have suppliers, but just need time to finish the CAD. Flashing lights also make me happy too.

I have not had a chance to go on here for a while, due to extreme work load.

But I can assure you that the project is still very much alive in my mind. And it will be completed, and very reasonably priced. Of that I have no doubt!

If you have any comments on the design, I would be happy to consider them.

... Just a note.

The bit that I am stuck on and considering now is fitting the CTPCI as an option into the case if a Falcon motherboard is used.

As the CT 60 is quite high and sits in the PSU area of the Falcon. And also the lead is very short. The only place I can come up with is with the PCI boards exiting the case on the right hand side (see above pic). ... This would be ok, as I intend the case to be either desktop orientation (shown above) or in tower formation with monitor [not shown] resting on the desk next to the tower, and with seperate keyboard in front. (see below).

This would probably be one of my favorite ways to use it. And plus I use a heavy old 19" VGA with my Atari at the moment. Plus it makes it easier to get to the Atari and pull it apart for fun!

So, in the tiower config above. If CT60 was fitted, then the VGA ports or PCI card ports would exit from the top of the case. There does not seem to be room anywhere else to fit it.

I intend this to be a one-size-fits all case. For any Atari motherboard, and plus a suitable but finite range of 5.25" and 3.25" storage devices, hardware add-ons and any other expansion boards. Personally, I will de-box my quite a few devices using this case, and I am looking forwards personally to finish it.

I have personally two machines in mind for some serious modding fun. And I intend to brand this case nicely with some laser etching and also like the idea of being able to admire the electronics though a clear acrylic case. I might add a few LED's personally, or some cold cathode tubes just for fun.

Kind regards,
John BIddleston

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 am

Looking closely, the CTPCI backplane appears to be upside down. The edge that is against the motherboard has a pair of 40pin headers for the ribbon cables to plug into - with the backplane orientated the way you have it, the cards will be facing the wrong way. :?

However there seems to be a lot of unused space under the optical drive. If extra mounting holes allowed the possibility to mount the motherboard so that it filled the space under the optical drive, then just by making the case ever so slightly wider, the PCI backplane can be mounted on the base near where the PSU is in your diagram above. The cards can then be conventionally upright with the ports accessible from the back.

The trade off is the analogue joystick ports, but these are standard high density 15-way D-subs, so making extenders to send them out to the side (or back) isn't a problem.

Of course without CTPCI, your design should still allow the board to be mounted as you have it here.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 am

Dal wrote:Looking closely, the CTPCI backplane appears to be upside down. The edge that is against the motherboard has a pair of 40pin headers for the ribbon cables to plug into - with the backplane orientated the way you have it, the cards will be facing the wrong way. :?

Doh! I dont have the CT PCI, so I have had to work from drawings.

However there seems to be a lot of unused space under the optical drive. If extra mounting holes allowed the possibility to mount the motherboard so that it filled the space under the optical drive, then just by making the case ever so slightly wider, the PCI backplane can be mounted on the base near where the PSU is in your diagram above. The cards can then be conventionally upright with the ports accessible from the back.

True enough. I think that this would solve a lot of problems. And maybe it would be possible to fit one card at least, and an Optical drive. To be honest, I cant see a lot of people wanting to fit a CD Rom, as one your networked, its really superceeded this. I'll want to fit one, and hopefully great for audio ripping etc.

But Dal, the big problem with this position, is that I think (I might be wrong) that the signaling might be a problem, if its extended that far away from the CT60. It will need a longer lead, and the CTPCI lead is only about 30cm (someone correct me please?). So, I am under the impression that this might cause degradation of the signal and serious problems? I dont know if there is a way around this, or if as certainly a custom cable would be required. And I am not sure of the signaling issues if this is done. Maybe there is a solution or someone can correct me on this?

The trade off is the analogue joystick ports, but these are standard high density 15-way D-subs, so making extenders to send them out to the side (or back) isn't a problem.

I am not sure if I am understanding you here? Are you meaning to move the Falcon mobo position to the right, and thus the CTPCI cards go on the left hand side. Then if someone needs the Jad Pad ports then these can be extended? ... Now thats not a bad idea, and I had not thought of that.

Of course without CTPCI, your design should still allow the board to be mounted as you have it here.

Its easy enough for me to design the base so that I can have multiple positions for boards. I am going to put holes in for PCB stand-offs and mark the holes with a code to indicate machine (using laser etching). And I am certainly making it so that the MSTE can fit (which is same as TT board size)... Which is about 62mm wider than the Falcon and ST motherboards. So that leaves at least 62mm to the left if I were to put a Falcon mounting in a secondary position also. I could also extend the case a little, but I am really keen to keep its size down to something nice and neat for all.

How many cards do people typically fit in the CTPCI, and also is there any preference for PCI card slots or can cards be used in any slot?

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:32 am

bid wrote:
But Dal, the big problem with this position, is that I think (I might be wrong) that the signaling might be a problem, if its extended that far away from the CT60. It will need a longer lead, and the CTPCI lead is only about 30cm (someone correct me please?). So, I am under the impression that this might cause degradation of the signal and serious problems? I dont know if there is a way around this, or if as certainly a custom cable would be required. And I am not sure of the signaling issues if this is done. Maybe there is a solution or someone can correct me on this?

Those that I have on sale and in use come with a standard 80pin IDE ribbon cable of 48cm. And you have to use the outer connectors on those.

bid wrote:How many cards do people typically fit in the CTPCI, and also is there any preference for PCI card slots or can cards be used in any slot?

What do you call typical? It used to be only the graphics card due to lack of other drivers, but with the upcoming new TOS release by Didier both network and USB become usable. So the count may be up to three.

My Falcon is in a tower case, though. With two or three 3,5" disk drives (IDE and SCSI), SCSI ZIP drive, 3,5" floppy drive, CD-ROM, card reader and eiffel with display (not yet properly installed).

Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 am

Bid wrote:I am not sure if I am understanding you here? Are you meaning to move the Falcon mobo position to the right, and thus the CTPCI cards go on the left hand side. Then if someone needs the Jad Pad ports then these can be extended? ... Now thats not a bad idea, and I had not thought of that.

Yes - exactly what I meant. Sorry, trying to relay positions against an isometric diagram is not easy! This solution still allows for the optical drive and you can accommodate cards standing upright in all PCI slots.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Dal wrote:Yes - exactly what I meant. Sorry, trying to relay positions against an isometric diagram is not easy! This solution still allows for the optical drive and you can accommodate cards standing upright in all PCI slots.

Hi Dal. Yep. I have not considered this exact setup, with the Falcon motherboard offset to one side.

Now, are any of these PCI boards full sized (as apposed to to the half height below)

I am guessing that any radeons are going to be the full sized cards (107mm wide)

... I'll tell you whats in my mind. I was not keen to make this a PC sized box. So if i make it so I was really trying to avoid it looking like a PC.

Now I could increase the height of the new Atari Case. But as I said, this would move us to a form factor more like a PC size... In fact you could fit a PC into it, if I made this size increase.

Now the CTPCI I believe is 100mm wide by 90mm high. So I have been thinking about mounting it in this manner to keep size down.

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    |
|    |#-----FULL-HEIGHT-VIDEO-CARD--------------
|    |           
|    |#--HALF HEIGHT---                                                                                               FLOPPY HERE                     CD-ROM HERE
|    |
|    |#--HALF HEIGHT---          ####FAN####
|    |                                    ####CPU####          ========CTPCI=======
|    |#--HALF HEIGHT---        ==============CT-60==================
|    |                             ====================================FALCON-MOTHERBOARD===================================
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------rhs of box not shown

This makes the overall case height still around 100mm high.

There is probably room for one full sized video card, and then maybe 3x half height cards. This is if the typical person would find that only the video card is the only item that must be full sized.

I will of course consider the other orientation. But then its as tall as a PC case is wide. Then if you take into account that the Atari motherboards (ST, Falc, MSTE & TT) are quite a bit wider than a typical PC ATX board, then you end up with a computer that is quite large.

I really like the TT form factor, even the MicroBox was quite small. So I really did hope to make something that was quite low profile and Atari-like (in spirit).

Now also, as it makes cost and design cheaper. I wanted to make a one size fits all. Now, this is a big challenge, and I have to review at some point if this is possible/sensible. But if say this fits a standard Falcon or ST, then lets say that you just had a Falcon, and wanted to re-box it for fun, and also for the more simple benefits of seperate keyboard and ease to add drives etc. Then it would be easy for that person to add a CTPCI when they are ready. In fact, I think that this easy expandability might even encourage people to upgrade and tinker. I know that I would lol. :D

But, and I might be the only one (?), I fancy sticking an ST into one of these too, and with this in mind (and I know many here have moved on beyond the ST), I still do think that an ST with a SCSI adpator (such as Ad-SCSI) with all the trimmings; Such as, several storage devices, and other collected peripherals might be fun too. ... Mounting EtherNEC internally is a case in point. As not everyone has had the budget or luck to find a Faclon or afford the CT60.

Now saying that. If the idea above was ok, then I could also probably solve or make another device fit there also

Code: Select all

+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    |
|    |#--------NE2000-Realtek-8019-Card--------------
|    |           
|    | <----EtherNEC board!                                                                                             FLOPPY HERE                     CD-ROM HERE
|    |
|    |#--+         
|          |       [Conventional PSU Here]                                                                           [Room for SCSI adaptor etc]
|          |
|          +--#=CART===================================ST-MOTHERBOARD===========================================
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------rhs of box not shown

I am also planning to make it easy to fit either the conventional standard PSU (if anyone is crazy enough to use it! lol), or a standard 2U PSU and of course it would be easy for anyone to fit Pico-PSU if they so choose.

If the above method was the method of choice and popular, then I would of course make the mainboard position choosable. With Ethernec, this is only small, so the mainboard could be fitted as before and hence access MIDI and Jagpads easily. One could probably unlplug the Ethernec also, and add a conventional cartridge, as I you would be able to access the Cartridge Port, and its just a small cable to ynplug, which of course in this case, would all fit inside the case.

For CTPCI, I think that we have to keep it close to the CT60 (you mentioned a 48cm cable). I seem to remember someone telling me that this cant be extended for signaling reasons. So a compromise must be made somewhere. Even if I made it possible to mount the CTPCI in a similar manner to the PC with the cards stacked perpendicular to the mainboard, it would probably still be hard to make it so that its easy to access the Cartridge and MIDI ports, or Jag Pads. But if your willing to build up the CTPCI, then I am guessing that you must be electronicy enough to extend those connectors?

Please advise if I am wrong in any of my thinking about any of this? The more feedback the better!?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Yes - I think mounting the PCI riser board to the side of the case is a workable solution. Even some Radeon cards are half height, so having just the one slot available for full height cards is a reasonable compromise.

MIDI and cartridge ports would need to be extended too. MIDI is easy enough but cartridge ports may be tricky to source. I guess it's possible to butcher an old ISA slot to use, but that's not exactly the most elegant solution. In my case, I would probably pull a ROM port from another machine, build a small extender board and mount the ROM port to the chassis, but this may not be an option for everyone.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:21 pm

@ Dal.. the other option is that we get a universal ROM board with all the Dongles on it!
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

deepblue69uk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby deepblue69uk » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 pm

This is a fantastic project. I do hope that it bears fruit. There is one STFM I'd like to re-house because the case is utterly buggered (had been badly treated by previous owner). Not sure about my STe though. It's gone yellow badly and I am in two minds about it. Either I paint the whole case black or I try the ideas mentioned on the forum to remove the fire retardant material to bring it back to its original colour.
I am the master of cr*p signatures!
Atari 1040 (4mb) STe
Atari 520 STFM (with red LEDs and cooling fan)
Atari 520 STe - boxed after being saved from Freecycle. Not yet played with. ;-)
Collects emulators and software from all over the web for ATARI ST, AMIGA, & old consoles.
Also a member of the http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/ legal torrent tracker.

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am

Hi,

Dont worry. The project will bear fruit. I just have still some commercial work to do. And that comes 1st.

I have just started making music again with some pals. One has Logic Pro on a MacBook, and we are loving the fact that the ST and TT does a great job and is way cooler. Have a KaosPad.

Anyway. I also need to get my hacked Atari nonsence into something that I can put in a desk, and maybe drop in the hard drive, CF Cards, or whatever. And add some blue LED lighting.

I'll be putting a STe in one, with CF/SD card, monitor switcher, couple of floppies, seperate keyboard and calling it Boris.

I have a motherboard only MSTe, which is going to get the MIDI treatment. And maybe gets a Spectre GSR, a Nova Graphics Card on the VME, a SCSI CF card for speedyness, LCD Monitor, NetUSB and I might even give it a AVR Pro 16bit Sound Sampler cartridge, if its good. I dont know what to call it yet?

I dont have the heart to take my TT out of its nice case. And depending on how well the MSTe runs. I might be tempted to flog it or part-exchange it for something. ... Its great. But if the MSTe is fast enough at 16MHz, then it also has the advantage of running any software no probs, including games. So I only need one machine. The TT should probably go to a programmer, or someone who wants to compile, or just needs that power. I think its probably faster than a Falcon. But MSTe should be more than enough for MIDI and most other things. ... In fact the ST is pretty good enough anyway. .... I might have to keep the MEGA4 ST, and just the re-cased MSTe. ... the MEGA4 ST runs great with HD and even with Magic the OS is amazing.

But, I really will need a one-piece unit, with decent PSU in there, seperate keyboard, some room for upgrades, and also SCSI expanders. Then you can have you CD-Rom or whatever, and its just a box I can carry or move around that looks nice, and has one power lead, and one monitor cable. Simples. ... Oh, and its got to light up!! http://www.ebuyer.com/51686-12-blue-dua ... m=products :D

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Universal Atari Modding Case

Postby Mal7921 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:52 pm

To be honest, if your using Cubase 3 I'd stick with the TT as it is the best machine for the job. The other machines will cope with the MiDI data just as well, but when the screen updates or your doing editing, nothing can beat the speed at which the TT just does things.

The falcon is better than the Mega STe, but the TT trounces the falcon.
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:53 am

A quick question about the case; seeing as it's made of acrylic, would it be sturdy enough to have a monitor (especially a classic one) sitting on top? Horizontal computer cases aren't much use unless you can stack something on them.

Nice designs so far. I've been following the thread for a while and it has been an interesting read with lots of insights into the ST's design and use.
Member of the Atari Legend team

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:04 am

bullis1 wrote:A quick question about the case; seeing as it's made of acrylic, would it be sturdy enough to have a monitor (especially a classic one) sitting on top? Horizontal computer cases aren't much use unless you can stack something on them.

Nice designs so far. I've been following the thread for a while and it has been an interesting read with lots of insights into the ST's design and use.

Good question.

I will be using a 3mm acrylic, and for basic assembly I am planning to use a tongue and groove system. So the slots will actually be laser cut at about 2.9mm, so that thing click together.

Now the bits that will have the main slots will be the large top and bottom surfaces, and the tongues will be in the smaller side panels. A mechanical fixing will be required, say min 4 screws per top and bottom, to hold it all together (I want to keep screwing count low).

So, the weight will be effectively transferred from the top 3mm thick large panel (500x351mm) to the base one (500x351ish), through the 3mm side panels, of which there will be 4 of them. Now there is no cross bracing, apart from the natural incidence of the sides where they meet at the corners. ... I would suspect that it will handily hold the wieght of a modern LCD screen. However, I personally would probably not risk a CRT monitor on it, as they are very very heavy.

Now the old Atari one. I have 2 of these. Maybe. .... I'll get back to you on that question.

Personally, its so easy to make a VGA LCD to Hi Res adaptor (or buy one on ebay for a tenner), that I would definately use the LCD with my Atari in mono mode. In colour, I have a switchbox (actually a couple), and I was also personally going to mount this, so that I could switch from colour to VGA. My LCD monitor has both VGA and SCART. Now its easy to make a monitor lead from the ST to SCART using its RGB output.
- So with a LCD monitor with VGA and SCART input, you can have both colour and mono on one monitor, and its lightweight, easy on the eyes and looks good too.

I will personally however, keep my Mega ST and Mono Monitor. Now that looks good together!!

But on the Universal Modding Case, I would not recommend putting a CRT on it.

It could be done. But its going to double the materials. And I also want to make this very affordable.

Now, there is a solition. And that is to use it in the following format. ... i.e. on its end, in a tower configuration.

Now, you can put the heavy CRT on the desk surface. And place the modded Atari Case on its end. ... I am designing so the Cartridge ports are on the top, in this case. And you CAN move the floppy drive to the front!! ... Using the very same cable!!! lol. ... Yes so simple.

There are no other ports on the RHS. So this is the end that goes to the bottom. Now this also saves desk space, and you can easily slide the Atari out, if you want to touch the delicious internals.

But, I think I am making the right choice with 3mm sheet acrylic, laser cut, as there is no tooling set up costs. Just the DXF drawings I will produce for CNC routing. And all the fixing parts will be standard Maplin or RS components. You will be able to have it as simple as just relocate FDD and Keyboard. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, then mount things like UltraSatan internally. ... Im looking forward personally to the one piece unit. And I will try and set a deadline, to finish off the DXF's. Its just a matter of setting aside the time, as I have to make sure that I get all the dimensions right for a lot of parts. There are now lots of "FabLab's" about. So if I am feeling generous, then I might just post the CAD files, which means that if you have access to a laser cutter and the material, you could knock one out and try it.

But I need to make sure that its dimensionally correct 1st. Probably a about one full days work... If I can find this time! lol :lol:

KLund1
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby KLund1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:50 pm

bullis1 wrote:A quick question about the case; seeing as it's made of acrylic, would it be sturdy enough to have a monitor (especially a classic one) sitting on top? Horizontal computer cases aren't much use unless you can stack something on them.

Very interest thread. Can't wait to see a final design!!!

About holding up a crt. Perhaps there could be some holes in the middle "shelf" that match some of the MB mount holes where an appropriate length metal or plastic rods can be inserted to add strength. maybe even screw holes to hold the rods in place?

Perhaps I missed it but, I did not read much about wire routing in the case. (I like neat wiring)
Also about the fan in Falcon MB's, the new base may need vent slots to accommodate it. Or will the fan not be needed?

Anyway, a GREAT project!!!
UPDATED: Falcon 030(FX-1)(CF int & removable SD), MSTE 4+PS3000 4160STE 2.06+HDFD STacy4-internal-USD 1040STFM+I.B.Driver-5.25"FDD 1040STF 1040ST 520ST-AdSpeed 400-48k 800+810x2+820+822+825+830+835+850, 800XL+IndusGT 600XL 130XE+XF551x2 Portfolio 1200XL APE(Warp+32in1 OS SuperVideo 2.1 256k RAMBO)+1050x2 USD'd+SIO2PC, PC1+PCH204+PCM124+PCF554x2

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Sorry that I have been away so long!!!

I am really busy with projects right now, and am self employed as you might know, as a Product Designer.

Some great projects going on. Right now I am working on about four commercial designs, and hope to finish soon.

I am still also desperate to find the time to finish this case. It will be easy to order the parts, as I will probably post the DXF files. ... So all you need to do, is find a laser cutting company. Like the FabLAB. ... And I may get some made up also, and buy in bulk to post them out.

I want to put a MEGA STE in this. And add all the lovely hardware add-ons. To make my ultimate true Atari machine.

I just set up all my Atari machines, in the spare room. They had to go away for a while, lol :cry: , but now they are back! :lol:

On that note, I could do with a favour from my Atari friends. ... And there is also a bonus, that I can give.

I wish to use a new file sharing system called DropBox, and will be using this with existing customers for transfering files to the 3D printers, and for laser cutting etc (these files are large).

DropBox lets me share files with other people over a "cloud", meaning online data storage. I can have up to 16GB. But I need to refer to others in order to upgrade my account from the basic 2GB, to the full 16GB in size.

As you know, the 3D files and CNC data are very large. So I really need to get some space asap.

Therefore, I am going to have to ask the favour, that perhaps some people would consider trying out the service also, using the following link http://db.tt/iRaytFrH

I can also share files with you, and I will share the 3D CAD files and viewer with you to read these files, and you can then look and measure and examine the UNIVERSAL CASE on your PC computer.

To do this, you will need to install DropBox using the following link http://db.tt/iRaytFrH

I will then share with you a folder with the above 3D CAD data for you to download and play with.

Right now, it is 95% complete. But I need some checking doing. And by sharing the files and viewer, this would no doubt be the best way.

I will also put the final DXF files on here, and photo's of prototype models as they come in etc

Kind regards,
John Biddleston

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 pm

ive tried U2 rack case still have it £20 ~+ to anyone willing to pay post

i prefer the original case

dont think the case means poo

its how stable the machine is to do its task ...
unlike pc's midi timing is perfect

i know studios who use many slave st machines to keep perfect 16/4 timings

modern poo is not great at this simple task :coffe:

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”