Net Surf GEM Port

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: NetSurf GEM Port

Postby wongck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:29 am

Just grabbed it from the site will test it out.
Faster response on GUI is sounding very nice. :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 am

I'll test it too, but first get some sleep and download it later today. Thanks in advance for developing this awesome browser! :cheers:

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 am

The builds 850 and 851 refuse to start at my FieBee with the error message; "unable to load GEM ressource". The build 843 is working well.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 am

Yes it is working great :thumbs:
I took the last 68k version as of 31 Jan 2013.
Only thing was it sometimes write out to console, looks like some window clipping info.
Just have my console window running, so no biggie. Just in case some ppl don't open the console window, just keep an look out for it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

rian_ata
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rian_ata » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Mathias wrote:The builds 850 and 851 refuse to start at my FieBee with the error message; "unable to load GEM ressource". The build 843 is working well.

Same issue here. Tried the 851 mk68 on my CT63 Falcon with both the fresh package (uncompressed the archive and start ns020.app) and copy the contents from the uncompressed archive into my working NetSurf installation folder (previous version).

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm

On my CT63, the build 020-851 is working. But I'm running MagiC 6.20 on the CTPCI in 1600x1200, so my system likely is different. Netsurf takes approx. 65s to load and display http://edition.cnn.com/

I have bad crashes (frozen system or instant reboot) selecting "global history", though.

Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Mathias wrote:The builds 850 and 851 refuse to start at my FieBee with the error message; "unable to load GEM ressource". The build 843 is working well.

You must cd to the netsurf folder and run it from there. I know, this is not user-friendly, but I'm not responsible :)
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Ektus wrote:On my CT63, the build 020-851 is working. But I'm running MagiC 6.20 on the CTPCI in 1600x1200, so my system likely is different. Netsurf takes approx. 65s to load and display http://edition.cnn.com/

43 sec on my FireBee. Fortunately, m0n0's optimized builds are faster.
Ektus wrote:I have bad crashes (frozen system or instant reboot) selecting "global history", though.

Same here, it crashes, but the system is unaffected.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:02 pm

jfl wrote:You must cd to the netsurf folder and run it from there.

I must do what?? I do not understand.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm

Mathias wrote:I must do what?? I do not understand.

You have to run Netsurf from the directory which contains executable file. ;)

I didnt try it yet as I dont have time. But will do it!

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm

vido wrote: You have to run Netsurf from the directory which contains executable file. ;)

Sorry, I don´t get it. Which "executable file"? Which directory? What means "running it from there"? That I have to copy Netsurf to any other folder?

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 pm

The working directory (active directory) must be set to the directory the netsurf binary is located in. The desktop should do this for you, but it might not. In that case, look for related settings, or start a cli, change directory to the netsurf location, and start the program.

cd /u/f/netsurf/
./ns020.app

Something like that.

Regards
Ektus.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Hmm, sounds like a bunch of Unix stuff, ...

Ektus wrote:The working directory (active directory)
Whats that? What for is a "working directory"?

Ektus wrote:must be set to
What does it mean to "set a directory to"? And, how do I "set" a directory?

Ektus wrote:In that case, look for related settings,
Where are these settings? Where can I look for them?

Ektus wrote:or start a cli,
What is a "cli"? Do you mean a shell? If yes, the FreeMiNT setup at the Bee has (gladly) no shell.

Ektus wrote:change directory to the netsurf location,
Change how? From where? I do not understand. What you are talking about.

Ektus wrote:and start the program.
cd /u/
That "u" was the useful hint. As you seem to talk about some Unix-Stuff, I tried to go to the Netsurf folder via "u" not via partition "c". And it works.

So the - for me - useful hint is: "Got to the netsurf folder from the partition "Freemint" ("u") not from "c"."

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Where are these settings? Where can I look for them?

For example, with teradesk, select the file you want to execute... then go to options -> Set program types - there you have it...

Btw. I had no problem running netsurf for the first time and when I navigate to disk D: (where netsurf resides) teradesk automatically navigates to U:\d\ - maybe it's different with Thing. But it doesn't matter - even when I use D: directly with teradesk... netsurf launches without problems.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 pm

Mathias wrote:If yes, the FreeMiNT setup at the Bee has (gladly) no shell.

Great. Don't include things that others may want to use but that I don't want to use. Nice mentality.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:06 am

m0n0 wrote:Btw. I had no problem running netsurf for the first time and when I navigate to disk D: (where netsurf resides) teradesk automatically navigates to U:\d\ - maybe it's different with Thing. But it doesn't matter - even when I use D: directly with teradesk... netsurf launches without problems.

Yes, there seems to be a problem with Thing, at least version 1.29. Whatever the value of the start directory (Application, window or file) Netsurf can't start. On the other hand, entering the directory via U: is OK. (I'm talking double-clik on the desktop here, not shell access, which always works).
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 am

jfl wrote:
Mathias wrote:If yes, the FreeMiNT setup at the Bee has (gladly) no shell.

Great. Don't include things that others may want to use but that I don't want to use. Nice mentality.

Come on, thats not fair!

For ages MiNT came with all that Unix stuff and a totally different kind of "thinking". It was completely unusable for people like me. When I understood that MiNT can be used without all that, just like GEM and what for I love Ataris, I asked for such a setup - yes. But it was not my final decision, but a kind of team decision, and mainly pushed by Jo Even. Now there is the possibility to use mint in easy ways like just GEM, and thats great. People like you or m0n0 who like to use a shell and that stuff can always use it. And the most important point - they have the knowledge to install it. On the other side people without Unix knowledge don´t have the possibility to get a clean graphical orientated MiNT. That means the question is more if we like to complicate things a lot (shell, ext2, unix folder structure, ...) for all users, and if we like to force everybody to think in completely different (Unix) ways, when those who like always can change it, but those who don´t cannot!

As we see with this Netsurf example here, it is totally unneccessary to use/think this Unix way.

So it is not about "I don´t include things that you and others want to use". It is about the FireBee FreeMiNT setup is that clean and GEM/graphical oriented that now for the first time everybody can use it, and nobody is forced to care about that (completely different) Unixlike stuff, while those who like, can easyly do so.

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 am

So, why do you say "gladly"? It's not "gladly" that there is no shell coming with the firebee freemint setup - it's simply annoying for people that urgently need it. I mean, you know why I'm at it right now, and I think it's just annoying. On the other side around - it wouldn't hurt if there is an shell, but you don't use it....

anyway, please stop talking about that here.... this thread is not about basic computer usage ;)

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 am

m0n0 wrote:So, why do you say "gladly"? It's not "gladly" that there is no shell coming with the firebee freemint setup - it's simply annoying for people that urgently need it. I mean, you know why I'm at it right now, and I think it's just annoying. On the other side around - it wouldn't hurt if there is an shell, but you don't use it....

anyway, please stop talking about that here.... this thread is not about basic computer usage ;)

Asking a rhethorical question, attacking me directly and publicly, expose your own point of view, and than forbid me to answer, or at least say something, ... bravo!

Back to topic, all previus version of netsurf worked well, regardless from which folder they got opened, even with Thing. Since build 850 they require to be doubleclicked in a window that is accessed via drive "u" not partition "c". So there must have happened something why it doesn´t work in usual ways anymore.

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:52 am

So there must have happened something why it doesn´t work in usual ways anymore.

Yep, previously the resource was loaded by windom, now it is loaded by GEM.... afaik GEM uses shel_find() to find the resource file... maybe windom did a more sophisticated job here.

Asking a rhethorical question, attacking me directly and publicly, expose your own point of view, and than forbid me to answer, or at least say something, ... bravo!

Yes, sometime there must be a cut. I mean... this discussion will go on forever..... We should continue the dicussion elsewhere, that's what I mean. Of course I do not forbid to talk ;)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:53 am

m0n0 wrote:
So there must have happened something why it doesn´t work in usual ways anymore.
Yep, previously the resource was loaded by windom, now it is loaded by GEM.... afaik GEM uses shel_find() to find the resource file... maybe windom did a more sophisticated job here.

The problem probably comes from the fact that the resource resides in a sub-directory. I had the same kind of issue with GEMClip. As you suspect WinDom does a bit more work: it converts the pathname with the following function if rsrc_load() doesn't find the resource file the 1st time: http://windom.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewv ... iew=markup
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:00 am

m0n0 wrote:- Please remember to lower the amount of conccurent fetchers under network (2 is an good value)

By "concurrent fetchers" do you mean "maximum fetchers" or "fetchers per host"?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Well, both, I set maximum fetchers per host to 2, and maximum fetchers to 3, cached fetch handles I set to 6....

Thank's for the resource load info, I will try that.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:24 pm

m0n0 wrote:...
For example, with teradesk, select the file you want to execute... then go to options -> Set program types - there you have it...

This settings are set per programs ?
It is for global, no?

m0n0 wrote:Btw. I had no problem running netsurf for the first time and when I navigate to disk D: (where netsurf resides) teradesk automatically navigates to U:\d\ - maybe it's different with Thing. But it doesn't matter - even when I use D: directly with teradesk... netsurf launches without problems.

Same here. No issues, just navigate to my folder and run it from there.
No issues what so ever with Teradesk.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:26 pm

jfl wrote:

Yes, there seems to be a problem with Thing, at least version 1.29. Whatever the value of the start directory (Application, window or file) Netsurf can't start. On the other hand, entering the directory via U: is OK. (I'm talking double-clik on the desktop here, not shell access, which always works).

You guys still using THING.
The new version seems to be broken at several places.
Kind of like skipping along a razor blade, you do not know what else is broken.
May be loose a file or two, not noticeable....well.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”