Seeking a good Vetrinarian to heal my Falcon

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Beej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Seeking a good Vetrinarian to heal my Falcon

Postby Beej » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:48 pm

I have a CT2b Falcon called Hedwig and he needs some special care.

1. Dallas RTC chip. NVRAM settings get lost, leading to a cascade of other issues.
Two world renowned Falcon Physicians agree here...Dallas RTC chip. I'd like a socket put in since these might have to be replaced fairly often now given limited shelf life for such parts.

2. Reworked audio circuitry: When recording audio the right input just records digital noise. This happens with stock inputs or with a DAC SPDIF device on the dsp port.
Dr. Rudolph suggests this is probably a 'bad condensator'.

3. Reworked audio circuitry 2: Stock Audio outputs are bad...poor or no audio output. Using an FA8 box on the dsp port yields 8 channels of beautiful audio.
Dr. Rudolph says, 'Update of audio circuitry must be done - several parts under the mb.

4. IDE isn't working just right for me. Dr. Rudolph suggests that it's probably just my cable or my IDE device. I don't have another to test it with at present, and probably will just go SCSI all the way and forget it, but if someone takes Hedwig into their Falcon Hospital and can test this for me it would be great just to 'know' before sinking money into a replacement IDE drive.

So far I can't find any of the old Masters with 'time' to work on poor ole Hedwig since he's not part of some mission critical commercial venture. CenTek, Best, and Wizztronics all recommended I try each other...none of them have the time or the scopes for my kind of case...but they all say they can still get the parts.

Anyone out there who can do this? If so send me a private message with ball park quotes on what you'd charge for the labor to help Hedwig sing again. Of course I'd cover part costs and shipping.

Thanks,
Beej

[ProToS]

Re: Seeking a good Vetrinarian to heal my Falcon

Postby [ProToS] » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 pm

topic moved, good luck in your quest since Rodophe Czuba don't have the time
to work on your machine, perhaps some board hardware gurus could help you.
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Linuxbuilders
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Linuxbuilders » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Try Simbo...
Rtc is simple to fix, it can be done without any soldering, open top part of plastic cover, clean of silicone and solder in new battery. There is a topic about nvram with many examples how to do it.
I would help you but I do not have time even for my dead falcon :(
Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8546
By the way I have got ide cable on ebay for $2...
In hell we will meet again...

Beej

Postby Beej » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Linuxbuilders wrote:Try Simbo...
Rtc is simple to fix, it can be done without any soldering, open top part of plastic cover, clean of silicone and solder in new battery. There is a topic about nvram with many examples how to do it.
I would help you but I do not have time even for my dead falcon :(
Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8546
By the way I have got ide cable on ebay for $2...

OK, found an RTC chip and replaced that...the bird seems to be working now.
Now if I just knew what parts to replace to get the audio working as it should.

What exactly is a 'condensator' that would make digital audio input in one channel be bad?

Thanks
Beej

simbo

Postby simbo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:40 am

2. Reworked audio circuitry: When recording audio the right input just records digital noise. This happens with stock inputs or with a DAC SPDIF device on the dsp port.
Dr. Rudolph suggests this is probably a 'bad condensator'.

3. Reworked audio circuitry 2: Stock Audio outputs are bad...poor or no audio output. Using an FA8 box on the dsp port yields 8 channels of beautiful audio.
Dr. Rudolph says, 'Update of audio circuitry must be done - several parts under the mb.

4. IDE isn't working just right for me. Dr. Rudolph suggests that it's probably just my cable or my IDE device. I don't have another to test it with at present, and probably will just go SCSI all the way and forget it, but if someone takes Hedwig into their Falcon Hospital and can test this for me it would be great just to 'know' before sinking money into a replacement IDE drive.

???

i think there is a problem with the 9v regulator and or the +12v rail
as the + 9v is made from the +12v

the audio inputs from the analogue inputs are digitised by the codec chip
the outputs are via the codec also

however the dsp has also the poor input on the right channel
this is impossible at circuit level so is NOT a hardware issue
? are you using hddriver v8 and also something like cubase audio etc
or something
i feel check the 9v rails to all ic's pins and also resolder the two small 8 pin audio output amps
u22 23
and bypass the auto folders stuff past the hdd driver
then test the input and outputs with other software.. than cubase etc

the output problem can be a mix of poor voltage and also bad chips connections
recently i fixed the audio output on a pals and it turned out to be pin 8 of the left channel chip
{the right hand one on the board}
and maybe a few caps on the audio circuit

however this wouldnt stop the audio in just on the right side etc
sounds like software to me where

as for audio out
most likely a few bad caps circled below
or some bad caps etc on the psu or regulator all below

all points to the psu being bad...... and dry caps

as you have good audio in in analogue and left channel
seems the regulator will be ok
so look to the audio amp chips and there bootstrap cap c91{left}
or and also the coupling caps like c83 {left} on there output
as i said most often its just a bad connection but i would replace the electrlytic {polerised} caps anyway
as the liquid in the dries up and the drop in value {less output on the other end in this setup or a electrocap}
tips
strip it down fold back the floppy
put on headphones in the jack at the back but add an amp as its line level
then once its running some demo games gives a dsp tune
press the chips lightly down
if the audio appears there is a bad connection either the pins of the ic's
or the thru connections of the pcb

as for the audio mod its quite easy to do i posted a picture somewhere
ill dig out the link also i dont think its worth doing
i would rather reprocess the output audio with a pc and leave the emphasis alone
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beej

Postby Beej » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Beej wrote:Thanks much simbo...I'll study this and see what I can figure out.
I'd love to find someone with the workbench to sort this out. It's worth approximately $500 US (give or take a few bucks for parts and shipping) to me to get it working properly.

Is it normal that the replacement RTC chip I found is missing pins? It does seem to work fine...but it has half as many pins as the original (still a 24pin dip, but open spaces)...also I'm intrigued that ONE pin on that old chip wouldn't take heat at all...I had to really crank up the heat and carefully drill bit out to get it loose without destroying the solder pad...is that a normal booby trap?

simbo wrote:however the dsp has also the poor input on the right channel
this is impossible at circuit level so is NOT a hardware issue
? are you using hddriver v8 and also something like cubase audio etc
or something
i feel check the 9v rails to all ic's pins and also resolder the two small 8 pin audio output amps
u22 23
and bypass the auto folders stuff past the hdd driver
then test the input and outputs with other software.. than cubase etc

Beej wrote:I've wondered the same...how it could be bad in both the A and D side of things. Note this is a CT2b hacked unit...various pins and tracers have been cut and rerouted throughout the Falcon's life. The first Falcon I attempted to have this installed in would not take it at all according to the guy who was installing it...so I had a second complete Falcon shipped to him sight unseen off eBay...it came to me with CT2b installed, but also the bad audio (this was all years ago). Back then everything the falcon did (web, documents, etc.) was pretty up to date and viable for everyday use...so I just used it as is...for recording, I just locked the thing to a BOSS hard disk recorder and lived with it.

I recall trying it with HDDRIVER 7.93, ICD Pro, and of course Cecile. CAF, Studio Son, and V-TRAX...as well as several of the no frills two channel audio recorders (aif, wav, raw, etc...).

These days...the HD Recording and MIDI is all I want it for...and thus the delima :)

Thanks again...I'll look into your suggestions, and see if I can figure out your instructions. I'm patient enough to carefully follow instructions and replace bits...what I'm not so good at is figuring out what parts I need, where they are found on the mb, and how to order them, etc.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”