TT & MegaSTe Keyboard Repair

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

TT & MegaSTe Keyboard Repair

Postby dexterslab » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:25 am

in the lab today, i fixed two TT keyboards with broken membranes. Both went in the same place in the top left hand corner (as your looking at the front of the keyboard)

This fixes the common problem where the control, shift or esc keys stop working, if other keys have stopped working then you'll need to trace and find the break in the track.

once you have the membrane out of the keyboard you can use a fiberglass pencil to remove the green insulator from the membrane and apply conductive paint to fix the tracks. I'd recommend putting tape over the repair to hopefully stop it happening again.

It may also be worth opening and applying tape to stop working keyboards to prevent then failing in the first place.

tt_mste_keyboard_01.jpg

tt_mste_keyboard_02.jpg

tt_mste_keyboard_03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: TT & MegaSTe Keyboard Repair

Postby wongck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 am

Good to see how it's actually done. :thumbs:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:56 am

Where do you get the conductive paint?
Mikey
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SvethLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST-Ram, 16 MB TT-RAM, ECL2VGA
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, CMD 4.1GB Hardrive
Commodore SX-64

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dexterslab » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

tbh i made the 2nd neater by putting masking tape either side of the 'new' track before painting... but i didn't take pics of it

it's pretty simple and easy solong as your carefull with removing the green mask/insulator from the membrane, it's very easy to take off the track with it

@mdivancic:
i bought mine from a local motor/car place as it's also used to repair windscreen demister wires. But just search for 'conductive paint' on ebay and you'll see loads available from around the world.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

dexterslab wrote:@mdivancic:
i bought mine from a local motor/car place as it's also used to repair windscreen demister wires. But just search for 'conductive paint' on ebay and you'll see loads available from around the world.

I was just going to ask this, because that's exactly what I need to fix on my car!! :lol: A bit worried about painting on glass, though :cry:
tá'n poc ar buile!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Desty wrote:A bit worried about painting on glass, though :cry:

Cellotape top and bottom of the wire and either side of the break. Remove before drying.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:49 pm

alexh wrote:
Desty wrote:A bit worried about painting on glass, though :cry:

Cellotape top and bottom of the wire and either side of the break. Remove before drying.

Thanks Alexh, that sounds like a good idea. :cheers:
tá'n poc ar buile!

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Just want to say thank you for posting this article! It provided all the information I needed in order to repair my external TT keyboard.

I went through all the trouble of adding an external keyboard connector (and a switch to switch between internal and external keyboards) to my Falcon 030, only to find out that the brand new(!), never used(!), TT keyboard I just bought on E-Bay did not work properly! How can that be!? The F1, Control, and left Shift keys were all totally dead. After considering returning the keyboard to the seller I figured I could just as well try and repair it as finding another keyboard in mint condition is not that easy. I bought some silver paint and within 2 hours it was done.

Again, a big thanks to dexterslab for providing all the information and the images! It saved my day! Much appreciated!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”