C-Lab Falcon MK-X customizations

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Rawit
Retro freak
Retro freak

C-Lab Falcon MK-X customizations

Postby Rawit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm

During the dis-assembly of the C-Lab Falcon MK-X I encountered a few things that need repairs. The previous owner told me he had the machine modded, and I'm not exactly happy how the modder handled the machine.

Because of the bad solder jobs and damage I've encountered within the machine I'm having a hard time to see a difference between mods and C-Lab customizations. I've encountered the following:

- Internal SCSI (this has been done by C-Lab, but I think it has been modified somehow)
- Line out (2x 6.3 mm bus)
- Line in (2x 6.3 mm bus)
- Volume control (I'm not sure if this is done by C-Lab, the wires look the same as on the other customizations, but the hole in the case looks really amateurish)
- SCSI clock mod

Also some annoying things:

- The internal speaker has been disconnected, the wiring is missing;
- The case led has been disconnected, the wiring is missing;
- The 40 pin to 50 pin SCSI adapter looks messed up;

I want to restore this Falcon as much as possible, but some things look very vague and I need info on the original parts. Especially the SCSI part boggles my mind. As far as I know SCSI 50 pin hard drives have a male connector, but this is what I have in my Falcon:

This isn't supposed to be like that right? From the few C-Lab pictures I found, it should be an angled female connector... Anyone has more info? I want to replace/repair this part to get internal SCSI going.

Rawit
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: C-Lab Falcon MK-X customizations

Postby Rawit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm

To restore the SCSI part of the Falcon I'm looking for the following connector:

The picture shows an adapter of some sort, but I only need the 50 pin female SCSI part angled edge connector part. I've searched but perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms.

Anybody know where to get this part? Preferably in the EU/The Netherlands region?

dexterslab
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dexterslab » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:08 pm

OMG, that soldering is appaling, i bet my mum could do better!

good luck with the restoration

as for the parts there's three seperate things in that pic of the connector, the r/a connector, pcb and idc header, not sure if you'll be able to buy that whole thing but you should be able to make your own from parts

try http://rswww.com or http://www.farnell.com

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:52 am

What's that?
Is there a 40pin SCSI?
40pin FibreChannel but on a C-Lab ??? :?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Rawit
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Rawit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 am

Hehehe, I wish it was Fibre Channel... This is just the custom internal SCSI 2 solution made by C-Lab. Next to the external SCSI port on the Falcon board there are 3 groups of pins. C-Lab made an adaptor that fits on that, with also one wire soldered to the board. To this adapter the 40 pin ribbon cable is attached, which leads to the adapter you see in the picture in my first post...

As far as I know, it's not a standard of any kind... I'm going to repair the C-Lab adapters for now, but I think it's not difficult to create a better one from scratch...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Typical customised non-standard stuff.
I guess easiest is to remove all the pins and resolder a proper headers on it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Rawit wrote:During the dis-assembly of the C-Lab Falcon MK-X I encountered a few things that need repairs. The previous owner told me he had the machine modded, and I'm not exactly happy how the modder handled the machine.

Because of the bad solder jobs and damage I've encountered within the machine I'm having a hard time to see a difference between mods and C-Lab customizations. I've encountered the following:

- Internal SCSI (this has been done by C-Lab, but I think it has been modified somehow)
- Line out (2x 6.3 mm bus)
- Line in (2x 6.3 mm bus)
- Volume control (I'm not sure if this is done by C-Lab, the wires look the same as on the other customizations, but the hole in the case looks really amateurish)
- SCSI clock mod

Also some annoying things:

- The internal speaker has been disconnected, the wiring is missing;
- The case led has been disconnected, the wiring is missing;
- The 40 pin to 50 pin SCSI adapter looks messed up;

I want to restore this Falcon as much as possible, but some things look very vague and I need info on the original parts. Especially the SCSI part boggles my mind. As far as I know SCSI 50 pin hard drives have a male connector, but this is what I have in my Falcon:

This isn't supposed to be like that right? From the few C-Lab pictures I found, it should be an angled female connector... Anyone has more info? I want to replace/repair this part to get internal SCSI going.

That has got to be the worst soldering job in the world! I can't believe that thing actually worked with such appalling modding. Is this the C-lab from Ebay a few weeks ago? You can still fix it by desoldering it carefully and re-soldering it with all-new components. Let us know how you come along and good luck. It's always exciting to see how people end up modding their Ataris!

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:58 am

A standard 50 to 50 pins cable (all female) which they use to connect serveral drives to 1 cable should do the trick I think.
And they are easy to find on exp. marktplaats. Then you connect one end on the slightly bent pin-connectors and the other
to the drive...

And indeed this is probably the worst soldering job I have ever seen, but it seems to work.
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
( I have just to much Atari stuff)

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”