command line tool - I'm using BATCHER which is a bit
limited.

Thx

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: GCC for Falcon

Postby shoggoth » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:16 pm

silvercreekvalley wrote:Is there a GCC port for the Falcon that works in regular
TOS? Also does anyone have a recommendation for a
command line tool - I'm using BATCHER which is a bit
limited.

Thx

I think GCC works in plain TOS, but it will probably painful, especially on a stock falcon.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 pm

no way. i think the last gcc that could have a chance to work in TOS was about 2.7.x version, i.e. something terribly old. newer gcc needs long names filesystem, not speaking about some decent shell.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 pm

mikro wrote:no way. i think the last gcc that could have a chance to work in TOS was about 2.7.x version, i.e. something terribly old. newer gcc needs long names filesystem, not speaking about some decent shell.

Didn't know that! To my defense, I have probably used TOS for like 5 minutes the past year :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:22 pm

shoggoth wrote:
mikro wrote:no way. i think the last gcc that could have a chance to work in TOS was about 2.7.x version, i.e. something terribly old. newer gcc needs long names filesystem, not speaking about some decent shell.

Didn't know that! To my defense, I have probably used TOS for like 5 minutes the past year :)

That be just the part that boots up Mint/Magic I suppose :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm

And lots and lots of RAM... Even 10 years ago I occasionally ran out of RAM on my 32Mb Afterburner when trying to compile some of the heavier unix-stuff. Now I don't bother with gcc anymore. Good old PureC compiles entire projects in less time than gcc use to compile hello_world.c.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:17 pm

joska wrote:And lots and lots of RAM... Even 10 years ago I occasionally ran out of RAM on my 32Mb Afterburner when trying to compile some of the heavier unix-stuff. Now I don't bother with gcc anymore. Good old PureC compiles entire projects in less time than gcc use to compile hello_world.c.

It depends on your needs -- for me is gcc great because I'm able to cross-compile and debug everything and just test on target machine (Falcon), i.e. no hassle with unreliable Atari setup.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 pm

mikro wrote:
joska wrote:And lots and lots of RAM... Even 10 years ago I occasionally ran out of RAM on my 32Mb Afterburner when trying to compile some of the heavier unix-stuff. Now I don't bother with gcc anymore. Good old PureC compiles entire projects in less time than gcc use to compile hello_world.c.

It depends on your needs -- for me is gcc great because I'm able to cross-compile and debug everything and just test on target machine (Falcon), i.e. no hassle with unreliable Atari setup.

I don't have an unreliable Atari setup, so I do all the development on the target machine ;-)
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:58 pm

mikro wrote:It depends on your needs -- for me is gcc great because I'm able to cross-compile and debug everything and just test on target machine (Falcon), i.e. no hassle with unreliable Atari setup.

Yes, this is a good method.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 pm

mikro wrote:

Cross compiling is like fooling around with a transvestite! But you do have a point. My Atari setup isn't unreliable though :-)

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”