CF Card Write Speeds

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

CF Card Write Speeds

Postby PaulB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:36 pm

I just got a Falcon that has a 4gb CF card installed as the internal ide drive. I used Ghostlink to copy files from the pc to the Falcon and then I realised that one folder I copied to F: should have been on E:. So I pressed Control and dragged the folder to drive E: to move it but it was painfully slow. Is this normal moving something from one partition to another on a CF card? On a hard drive I would normally expect 3-5 files per second but on the Compact Flash card it took 10-15 seconds for 1 file! :cry:

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CF Card Write Speeds

Postby techie_alison » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:20 pm

Staples have Sandisk ULTRA-II 2GB drives atm, for about £15 I think it is. Pretty fast in my camera.
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:51 pm

I think the card in it is brand new (according to the seller) but I must admit card does look a bit generic (aka cheap). In Hdriver it just comes up as '4GB CF' without a brand name of any kind but I wouldn't have thought the speed would be affected that much when moving/writing files. When reading it seems lightning fast. I don't chop 'n' change files about that much but if it's like that all the time I think I'll stick a 2.5" hard drive in it. It'll be much faster.

deathtrappomegranate
Atarian
Atarian

Postby deathtrappomegranate » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:50 pm

techie_alison wrote:Staples have Sandisk ULTRA-II 2GB drives atm, for about £15 I think it is. Pretty fast in my camera.

Sandisk Extreme-III 4GB CF cards are available via Amazon for £17.99. They are noticeably better than the Ultra-II cards.

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:41 am

deathtrappomegranate wrote:
techie_alison wrote:Staples have Sandisk ULTRA-II 2GB drives atm, for about £15 I think it is. Pretty fast in my camera.

Sandisk Extreme-III 4GB CF cards are available via Amazon for £17.99. They are noticeably better than the Ultra-II cards.

For Ataris (even Falcon, what is dead slow for todays standards) Sandisk Ultra II cards are too fast. Mine 2GB Ultra II can write over 6 MBytes/sec. Even cheap Kingston is pretty fast, and more than enough for Falcon.

PaulB - you should run some write speed test program to see exact write speed. Writing of many short files can be very slow even on fast systems.

P.S. Compact Flash (some normal brand, and newer one) is actually faster in write than hard disks, because of much better access times.
Last edited by ppera on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:59 am

This should enable you to check the speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Cheers. It comes up as Data Rate =1481 K/s and Av Access = 0ms.

It is fast when writing to normally but my problem was when I moved a directory (of 30 small files) from one partition to another. It was really slow. Maybe it's because I had ghostlink running at the time. Maybe it had a bad effect on the file transfer.

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:27 am

Ratehd is not the best proggy for this case. You need something like How-fast . It can measure write speeds too, with diverse block sizes.

Get it here: ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/atari/Utils/Disk ( howfas21.lzh )

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:51 am

Unfortunately the program is in German... So I just clicked on run.

Read speed for C reached just over 1600k/s
Write speed just under 1000k/s

Again I mention that I have no problems with normal reading and writing, it seems quite fast. It was when moving a folder of small files from drive F to Drive E!

ppera

Postby ppera » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:57 am

PaulB wrote:Unfortunately the program is in German... So I just clicked on run.
Read speed for C reached just over 1600k/s
Write speed just under 1000k/s
Again I mention that I have no problems with normal reading and writing, it seems quite fast. It was when moving a folder of small files from drive F to Drive E!

You did well with clicking on run :D
In that case, I think that problem is many short file. What would copy not faster on some hard disk. However, 1000KB/sec is not really good, should be more. Probably due to not quality CF card.
Read speed is bad too, should be over 2MB/sec. What partitioning is that? If it is DOS compatible it may explain low speeds - because of required byte-swap. Is card directly readable on PC?

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:42 pm

All partitions were BGM when I had the slow speeds. But now I'm trying to install Mint so 1 is now LNX. :)

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”