Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

HDD Patition >2GB - How?

Postby wongck » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:06 am

Hi,

I have a 8GB SCSI HDD connected externally.
I am trying to partition to 3 partitions - 240MB, 4000MB & 3800 MB.
I tried the below programs and all are only able to partition to 2000MB.
    Cecile 3.2
    HD Driver 7.51
    SCSI tools 6.52
    ICD tools
What am I missing?
Thanks.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

ppera

Re: HDD Patition >2GB - How?

Postby ppera » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:54 am

wongck wrote:...What am I missing?
Thanks.

Elementary knowledge about max partition sizes :D
2GB is general limit of FAT16 , used by Atari GEMDOS (but by Ataris max size is less, depending on TOS version) .
What about making more partitions?
I recommend at least 8x 1GB partitions on Falcon. Since 1GB is part. size limit on Falcon.

Of course there are some other solutions, but require additional SW as Mint...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:23 pm

ppera wrote:Elementary knowledge about max partition sizes :D
2GB is general limit of FAT16 , used by Atari GEMDOS (but by Ataris max size is less, depending on TOS version) .
What about making more partitions?
I recommend at least 8x 1GB partitions on Falcon. Since 1GB is part. size limit on Falcon.

Of course there are some other solutions, but require additional SW as Mint...

Well, the 240MB is suppose to cater to my lowest denominator - 520ST. While my main machine is TT now so 1GB is out of the question. Of course my resurrected Falc is only 4 MB ram now, which means Mint is not too useful on it with so little memory. I suppose Mint should be able to run with 4MB.

In any case, the large partition will be for storage and of course I will be using Fat32 on it; for Fat16 is I know at 2GB max. I would prefer efs2 but if I need to fsck it, it may take slighly longer.
So the question still stands -- how do I partition > 2GB?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 pm

you have to use Magic 6.1 or Freemint

Code: Select all

OS-Release              Size
----------------------------------------------------------------
TOS 1.00 - 1.02        256 MByte
TOS 1.04 - 3.xx        512 Mbyte
TOS 4.0x              1024 MByte

MagiC / BigDOS        1024 MByte
                      2048 MByte (Compatible Dos)

MagiC 6.1       FAT32 -> Terrabyte (not MagiC 6.01)

FreeMiNT 1.15 / FAT16  2048 MByte (DOS/TOS comp. Partition)
FreeMiNT      / FAT32  ->  Terrabyte
----------------------------------------------------------------
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 pm

[ProToS] wrote:you have to use Magic 6.1 or Freemint

Yes, I know. Thanks for the information.

Currently I have partitioned my 8GB external HDD with 1x240 MB using BGM and 3x2GB using Fat32.
I am using Freemint 1.16.1 release from sparemint archive and running also ext2.xfs as well as the internal vfat32.
My internal HDD on my systems are 1 x BGM + 1 x Ext2FS (so that I can use both tos and Mint).
Back to my external HDD, I really do not want to have so many partitions, right now I am not using all that 8GB but around 6+ GB only.
My desktop now clutered with 7 drive icons.
(I know I can use U: only, remove the C: - H: drive and use only U: drive to drill down to the C:-H: -- before someone suggest this to me).

The issue is that all the HDD utility mentioned in 1st post does not allow me to partition > 2GB.
Some do not allow me to go pass 2GB and some reports failures to write to FAT/partition.
I need to do this partitioning before I can do a MKFATFS or a MKE2FS command -- correct me if I am wrong.
Is there some otherway to do that partitioning?

ppera

Postby ppera » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Truth is that currently no SW for Atari with which can easy perform some more advanced partitioning.
I don't know which exact minimal version of Hddriver allows creating larger FAT32 partitions - did you entered correct part type code ?
Myself made partitioner which creates right usable FAT32 partitions, even very large ones but it is not for TT, no SCSI driver, only IDE and ACSI.
Btw. there are some limits in real world, and we are far from using terrabyte partitions with Mint, but 8 GB will be not problem.

There were some threads about this - try to search little forum.

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:11 pm

I have Debian Linux 68k installed and so have 60 GByte Partition ext3 which works fine (with Linux). The other 40 Gig are used for several partitions for the MiNT, MagiC and TOS.

Best regards,

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

ppera

Postby ppera » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:20 pm

MacFalcon wrote:I have Debian Linux 68k installed and so have 60 GByte Partition ext3 which works fine (with Linux). The other 40 Gig are used for several partitions for the MiNT, MagiC and TOS.

Me and Jvas made some tests with Mint, Falcon with 160GB IDE drive and STE with 160GB IDE drive. There were problems with larger FAT32 and Ext2 partitions. Over 32GB, but I had troubles with smaller ones too, when used larger cluster sizes. Problem is Mint related, and not driver, for sure.
You can use PC drive with Ataris, there is support for it in drivers. Problem is booting. If you can boot from some other drive (smaller) then it may work...

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 pm

I just entered a ton of info that I was mightiliy impressed with.

I just deleted it by accident, so sod it, lets get to basics..

When you create the partitions, have you made the type correctly... F32 for example?

Also, what partitions are you set up with... GEM, BGM, XGM and so on? - that might be needed?

I myself have a couple of 4GB HDs and I partitioned them with HDDriver 7.xx just fine as F32 Partitions.
They access just fine under Magic and now MiNT

For the Drives I want to have that are fully compatible with both Windows and the Atari they are in, then I gave up trying to format with the Atari, and I just used the PC instead... The Atari is just fine reading and writing to the disk that way, but the other way round, the PC will crash.

Ok, thats enough.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 am

wongck wrote:I have a 8GB SCSI HDD connected externally.
I am trying to partition to 3 partitions - 240MB, 4000MB & 3800 MB.
I tried the below programs and all are only able to partition to 2000MB.
    Cecile 3.2
    HD Driver 7.51
    SCSI tools 6.52
    ICD tools

I'm not familiar with Cecile, but I've used SCSI-Tools and ICD previously and I'm quite sure that these won't let you create partitions beyond TOS limits. HD-Driver should though. I've used HD-Driver for many years, and I've used it to create large partitions on my Falcon and Milan running FreeMiNT. I would guess that your problem is that you have a pretty old version of HD-Driver. I recall using HD-Driver 7.6x around 1997-1998 when MagiC and MiNT started supporting large partitions.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:37 pm

joska wrote:I'm not familiar with Cecile, but I've used SCSI-Tools and ICD previously and I'm quite sure that these won't let you create partitions beyond TOS limits. HD-Driver should though. I've used HD-Driver for many years, and I've used it to create large partitions on my Falcon and Milan running FreeMiNT. I would guess that your problem is that you have a pretty old version of HD-Driver. I recall using HD-Driver 7.6x around 1997-1998 when MagiC and MiNT started supporting large partitions.

Yes. I believe that my old version of sofyware are the root of my problem. I will have to live with 2GB partition on my SCSI for now. I have downloaded the source code of a atari fdisk for debian. May be when I get some time I will code it for tos/mint.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:11 am

wongck wrote:Yes. I believe that my old version of sofyware are the root of my problem. I will have to live with 2GB partition on my SCSI for now. I have downloaded the source code of a atari fdisk for debian. May be when I get some time I will code it for tos/mint.

Why not just upgrade HD-Driver? The price is very reasonable for such an excellent product.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:59 am

joska wrote:
wongck wrote:Yes. I believe that my old version of sofyware are the root of my problem. I will have to live with 2GB partition on my SCSI for now. I have downloaded the source code of a atari fdisk for debian. May be when I get some time I will code it for tos/mint.

Why not just upgrade HD-Driver? The price is very reasonable for such an excellent product.

I would not do this... Disencouraging someone to write some useful Atari SW.
Do it Wongck !

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:27 am

I have to second ppera. Uwe Seimet refused to help Jookie with Satandisk too which is not a too supportive action for us Atarians.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:31 am

ANY new software is welcome on our platform!!!
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:41 pm

OffTopic.
I didin't know about the Satandisk-Seimet issue.
Uwe Seimet has always been friendly, as far as I remeber. May you share some infos?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:36 am

Well, let Jookie tell the tale.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:04 pm

MacFalcon wrote:ANY new software is welcome on our platform!!!

I agree - but I'd like to see something we don't already have...
Jo Even

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:07 am

Paolo wrote:OffTopic.
I didin't know about the Satandisk-Seimet issue.
Uwe Seimet has always been friendly, as far as I remeber. May you share some infos?

Read Jookies blog. I smiled when read it, some 1-2 years ago. And may say that I had some similar conversations with Uwe Seimet. Answer is money, I think...

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 am

joska wrote:
MacFalcon wrote:ANY new software is welcome on our platform!!!

I agree - but I'd like to see something we don't already have...

Of course. But in reality we still don't have really good partitioner for Atari machines. I don't count Hddriver's util app as good one... Others are even worse.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

ppera wrote:Of course. But in reality we still don't have really good partitioner for Atari machines. I don't count Hddriver's util app as good one...

What is the problem with HD-Driver? I've used it since 1997, it has served me well. I have never not been able to partition a drive the way I wanted it, and HD-Driver has been the only driver that has worked nearly perfectly on all my machines from the humble MSTE with IDE-interface, via a Falcon/Afterburner to my Milan060.
Jo Even

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:13 pm

HD Driver is not the problem - Uwe Seimet is :P

Stay cool, stay Atari!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:16 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:HD Driver is not the problem - Uwe Seimet is :P

He's always been very helpful when I've talked to him. He even spent time helping out a friend of mine solving an issue with HD-Driver on the Afterburner - a piece of software he clearly states is not supported.
Jo Even

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:35 am

joska wrote:What is the problem with HD-Driver? I've used it since 1997, it has served me well. I have never not been able to partition a drive the way I wanted it, and HD-Driver has been the only driver that has worked nearly perfectly on all my machines from the humble MSTE with IDE-interface, via a Falcon/Afterburner to my Milan060.

I said 'realy good'. it supposed to mean easy to use, user friendly for instance. Not to using some cryptic partition codes and need to calculate total sizes on paper - why we have computer if it can not calculate self?
Yes, some PC partitioners are much better, but truth is that they cost some money. But some may be free - look Mandriva partitoner tool when install Linux...

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:22 pm

I think HD-Driver is a great piece of software. And I think it is not correct or fair to discourage people here to not purchase it. As in every software, there is always room for fixes and enhancements. This doesn't change the fact that it is an excellent product.

I don't know Uwe personally, but I have the feeling he is a good guy. And most people always praised his technical and customer support.

It is true however, that he is not very helpful at all with developers. It seems to me he has an almost paranoid attitude, and he takes every developer inquiry as a risk to disclose information that would be harmful for his product. I have no doubts that that attitude is wrong. Still, I think the right thing to do is to support Uwe and his product.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”