"Clicking" Falcon power supply

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Xhorder
Atarian
Atarian

"Clicking" Falcon power supply

Postby Xhorder » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:54 pm

After years of gathering dust, I decided to fire up my Falcon. Well, the HD had trouble spinning up, but the floppy worked, and I got Pinball Dreams to load! :D

Anyway, while waiting for a new HD, I decided to put in an FPU. The FPU installed fine, but I must have screwed up something because it no longer powers up. The power supply just makes a faint "clicking" sound. It did the same thing after removing the PSU completely from the Falcon, except the clicking was less rapid.

Any ideas? I'm not a very good electrician, so I fear I may be in the market for a replacement PSU... :(

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Re: "Clicking" Falcon power supply

Postby Nyh » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Xhorder wrote:After years of gathering dust, I decided to fire up my Falcon. Well, the HD had trouble spinning up, but the floppy worked, and I got Pinball Dreams to load! :D

Anyway, while waiting for a new HD, I decided to put in an FPU. The FPU installed fine, but I must have screwed up something because it no longer powers up. The power supply just makes a faint "clicking" sound. It did the same thing after removing the PSU completely from the Falcon, except the clicking was less rapid.

Usually a switched power supply makes clicking noises when it's load is too high. Something in the secondary circuit has short circuited.

Hans Wessels

MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MaLICiouS » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Perhaps you seated the FPU in the wrong direction? IIRC the chip has a dent in one of its corners, which should be aligned with a dent in the socket.
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

Xhorder
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xhorder » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:43 pm

MaLICiouS wrote:Perhaps you seated the FPU in the wrong direction? IIRC the chip has a dent in one of its corners, which should be aligned with a dent in the socket.

I thought of that at first. Removing the FPU was my first step, but the PS was still dead.

I don't think I seated it wrong, but if I did, would that be cause to fry the PS?

Xhorder
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xhorder » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, I think my idea to put in an FPU was a complete disaster... I should have left well enough alone.

I bought a replacement PSU and guess what... It doesn't work either! Exhibits the same infernal "clicking" !

What the hell did I do to this thing!?
Did I kill it, or am I missing the obvious somehow?? :oops:

Xhorder
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xhorder » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:04 pm

After calming down, I figured that the original problem probably wasn't a bad PS. So I reseated the RAM board and poked around a bit, and lo and behold it powered up!

So now it's working fine, except I most likely bought a new PSU for no reason :o

MaLICiouS

Postby MaLICiouS » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:35 am

Xhorder wrote:So now it's working fine, except I most likely bought a new PSU for no reason :o

But that's good! Now you'll have a new PSU once your current one decides to die.
I'm glad it worked out for you!
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”