Just received my CT-63 falcon mobo, any tips?

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Just received my CT-63 falcon mobo, any tips?

Postby keropi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Hiya! :cheers:
I just received my mobo from mr. Czuba , he patched it , replaced clock chip with a socketed one and installed the 060...

are there any tips I must know about software installation? any patches perhaps nescessary?
thanks! :D

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Just received my CT-63 falcon mobo, any tips?

Postby cb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:36 pm

You should download the CT6x software package from http://pagesperso-orange.fr/didierm/ct60/index-e.htm

Another mandatory resource is http://ct60.dhs.nu
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:51 am

thanks cb! :cheers:

I assume that bot CT63 and CT60 use the same software/drivers right? so ct60_404_20050713_103c.zip is OK for me?

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:48 am

Yes, it's just the same. :)
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 am

I have had my CT63 for a fair while now.

I had nothign but issues galore with mine and they are all cured now, and its running sweet as a nut.

Only issue I have now is SCSI but thats got nothign to do with the CT63, although I will add that my softwrae is NOT compatible with my CT63

There are a handful of different versions of the software, and its best to usethe version of softwrae tyhat goes with your version of the CT63 BIOS.

For example, if your BIOS date is v1.3 JULY 2005 ( Like mine is - it will say on the Falcon/CT63 startup ) then the software you need to use is 20050713 - I assume that the name is going by the date and BIOS.

Anyway, my issue is that the software, and indeed every other version of the software I have tried, does not know the flash on the CT63 and therefore it does not save all the info at all, but it does at least save enough for it to NOT affect the running of the Atari.

Software that needs patching?

Funnily enough, the most use program now is CuBase Audio, and this has indeed been patched and its running absolutely spot on.

Few other little quirks with some software can often be put down to a setting here or there, usually program flags, or perhaps as some have suggested, the settings of HD Driver?

Whatever issues you may have, can usually be sorted out with the most simple of cures.

There are however a number of programs that are not compatible with the 060 and these can be found on Rodolphe's site.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Just one question before I close this one... How much did it cost you to send your Board over?
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:53 am

what do you mean about cost? postage was ~30eur...
my flash is 1.3c , is it the latest one? (it says CT60 , not 63...)
I just tried to install Mutli-TOS and no boot LOL
how do these nice progs run?

ct60conf.cpx is no executable in normal TOS (or I do something wrong?) do I need to install some kind of "os-shell" ???
I am confused :?

edit: is there some key combination to disable the ct63 on boot? is there a manual or something? I got nothing with the ct63

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Multitos????

Try easymint. Don't forget to register though.

http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/h ... e=easymint
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:10 pm

OK, I can boot if I leave the timer count-down , it loads again basic TOS4...

is there an unzip for falcon? so I can transfer there the easy-mint files???

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:03 pm

The only thing you need to unzip is the easymint.zip iirc... Just do it on the pc.
you will also find unzip.ttp somewhere in the archive.
My Atari blog

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 pm

This is something that I keep getting told, but R.T.F.M!!!

To disable the CT63, you need to put a jumper across the pins ( The 2 next to the power one ) it will then boot in 030 mode.( It says this is the docs )

The CT63 is indeed the CT60 basic thing yes... The CT63 is a cut down version of the CT60 - it does teh CPU and nothign else while the CT60 also did the Motherboard.( It says this is the docs )

This makes it easier for us to use, but less powerful ( It says this is the docs )

The CPX does work in TOS mode. You just need to use the supplied Control Panel ( It says this is the docs )
Are you even running it right?

COPS also works well too, but this will need WDIALOG in TOS mode. ( It says this is the docs )

v1.3c is the version I too am using and I went to didiers site to download the very latest patched version of the control panel, but as I said earlier the version you need is 20050713 that can be had from dhs.nu ( It says this is the docs )

MultiTOS should work, if it does not then try altering the PROGRAM flags... Most programs can be made to work by changing the program flags.( It says this is the docs )

I myself dont use MiNT... I really want to, but every time I try, it fails to fully install without some issue or other... Magic is normally perfect, but even that needs to have patches ( Done and working spot on ) - I will hoever, be having another play with MiNT in the new few days onto a fresh disk.

I think a post regarding the latest situation with MiNT is very much in order because the links are too general and they expect people to already know things that they clearly dont!

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:45 pm

FatRakoon wrote:This is something that I keep getting told, but R.T.F.M!!!

To disable the CT63, you need to put a jumper across the pins ( The 2 next to the power one ) it will then boot in 030 mode.( It says this is the docs )

you mean the DOCS supplied with the tools? (I have no printed docs whatsoever)

FatRakoon wrote:The CPX does work in TOS mode. You just need to use the supplied Control Panel ( It says this is the docs )
Are you even running it right?

There is something about it in the readme, but I HAVE NO CLUE :( what to do. Remember, I know NOTHING about atari machines. I tried to run the .cpx file but I could not.

FatRakoon wrote:COPS also works well too, but this will need WDIALOG in TOS mode. ( It says this is the docs )

.... what is COPS ?

FatRakoon wrote:v1.3c is the version I too am using and I went to didiers site to download the very latest patched version of the control panel, but as I said earlier the version you need is 20050713 that can be had from dhs.nu ( It says this is the docs )

that is the version I am using

FatRakoon wrote:MultiTOS should work, if it does not then try altering the PROGRAM flags... Most programs can be made to work by changing the program flags.( It says this is the docs )

and how can those be altered? I have no idea. :(

I really have no clue here, and my atari knowledge is ULTRA-limited. Do I need to have some sort of "driver" in AUTO folder in C: so the ct63 stuff can work? Can I just take the atari-HD , connect it via USB to PC and transfer files there?
The docs with the driver-zip are not very newbie-frienbdly, I cannot really understand all of it... I know I am asking tedious questions but I just need a jump-start :mrgreen:

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:00 pm

OK... lesson 1 :P :

Accessories and control panel.
TOS can have up to six desk accessories running simultaneously (remember the cooperative multitasking?). These need to be in the root partition of your falcon and have the extension .acc. One of them is the control panel. If I am not mistaken this has to be a patched version of the atari control panel. Forget cops, requires wdialog which is a source of problems. Anyway, the patched version of the control panel as far as I can tell needs to be done by you. Don't really know much, but you download the ct60 software from Didier's page
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/didierm/ct60/index-e.htm and then you run the patch_xc.prg (or is that the patched xcontrol?). Anyway, not to confuse you, xcontrol is a very nice accessory that can let you do various things, it's on the language disk of your falcon, if you don't have it it's very easy to get. Now, you should create a folder in your c: partition with the name cpx and copy all the cpx's there. Then you need to configure xcontrol to find the folder. That part is self explanatory. Rebooting should load you the cpx's and the xcontrol.
My Atari blog

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:54 pm

OK, this clear things lots, will try that, thanks CrhisTOS :cheers:

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Where the hell?

I just posted a sizeable reply to this with exact locations etc of everythign in the CT60 archive and online of any info that might help?

Sod it.

Ok, the CONTROL PANEL is dealt with. I wont go waffling on about that.

To change the program flags there is a CPX module also in teh archive that you need to copy to C:\CPX\ and this will give you a way to change any flags. There is also a GENERAL.CPX in there too... In the CPX folder boringly enough that you copy to the HD and this will let you adjust a few thigns and that control panel module has been re-written to be 060 compatible.

You do not need any kind of AUTO program my friend, the CT60 / 63 is there from the off.
Magic does require 3 AUTO/PRGS but normal use does not no!

And no, you cannot take your HD to a PC... Not normally anyway. HD Driver can make a Hard Disk, both Atari and PC compatible but only if there is only one partition.
What I suggest you do for now is use Floppies and then get a CDWRITER or some kind of ZIP Drive for later on, and hell perhaps even SATANDISK maybe?

>>The docs with the driver-zip are not very newbie-frienbdly, I cannot really understand all of it...

You and me both my friend

>>I know I am asking tedious questions but I just need a jump-start

There is no such thing as tedious questions - if you dont know, you dont know.
I ask enough of them myself... If I know the answers then I try to answer them too

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:25 pm

FatRakoon wrote:And no, you cannot take your HD to a PC... Not normally anyway. HD Driver can make a Hard Disk, both Atari and PC compatible but only if there is only one partition.
What I suggest you do for now is use Floppies and then get a CDWRITER or some kind of ZIP Drive for later on, and hell perhaps even SATANDISK maybe?

SATANDISK??? Do you know of an ACSI to SCSI adapter???

OK, this clear things lots, will try that, thanks CrhisTOS

Well, I hope this wasn't a "we've seen it somehow general answer and run and find software site?" :twisted: ;)
My Atari blog

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:47 pm

christos wrote:SATANDISK??? Do you know of an ACSI to SCSI adapter???

SatanDisk is simply an SD Card adapter for the ST that well, lets you use an SD Card as a Hard Disk.
http://joo.kie.sk/satandisk/index.html

ACSI to SCSI Adapter?

Not off the top of my head, however, I have just given away all my old ST stuff to Barrie at keychange, that also included a 1GBHD and ACSI adapter... If you ask him, maybe he can sell it to you cheap?

To be completely honest, ACSI to SCSI adapters seems to be rare as hens teeth, so solutions are obviously lacking here.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:51 pm

I meant... keropi has a falcon... where is he going to stick a satandisk?
My Atari blog

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:25 pm

christos wrote:I meant... keropi has a falcon... where is he going to stick a satandisk?

OFFS! - Yeah sorry.

Do you want to slap me, or shall I slap myself?

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:05 am

thanks for all the answers!!!! I think I will manage now :mrgreen: else you will hear more! :oops:

I have a small question, is there a rar-like program for falcon? I want to transfer easymint with 1.44MB disks, and it would really help to have a multi-volume archiver to compress on pc and decompress on the falcon... the ZIP drive is a nice idea (I think, I need one for pc too) any particular model required?
also I am getting another falcon with magic, Fatraccon what are the progs required to make it run on the ct63?
Last edited by keropi on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:06 am

First mistake: 1.44 floppies for... ehm 80 MB's? Bad idea... Bad...

Do you have a null modem cable handy?
My Atari blog

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:54 am

Yeah, MiNT is far too big to even consider with Floppies.

Until you get CDROM or some form of big disk like a ZIP, then forget about it.

Null-Modem. Heck yeah thats certainly an option too!

Its been a very long time, but GHOSTLINK, PARCP and PARALINK etc start to spring to mind here.

Zip Drive model? - No, any will do... On the Ataris Im using 100MB jobs and the PC has a 250MB
I would really suggest that you get the 250 at least, mainly because its a hell of a lot faster than the 100MB one, however... on saying that, I have actually got a whole load of 100MB Drives and this has allowed me to have one in my Falcon, my TT, my STE and my STF, plus 5 of my PCs.

I will also add one thing however, and that is that they seem to have the weakest head alignment on the planet... I mean, that they all work 100% perfectly, but some drives wont read some other drives data, but if I formatted a disk in any drive, its flawless in there, but if I used say Drive 3's disk in drive 7, then it wont be able to and it will ask me to reformat the disk...

But luckily the Falcon, TT and the 250MB in my main PC are all just fine together.

Anyway, you can pick up 100MB drives for a few quid these days, so maybe get one drive and one disk, just to get you going mind you, and then use that to transfer your files over?

---

What files are needed to get Magic to run on the CT63?

There is a folder in the archive called MAGIC
There are 3 main PATCH files - excep060 / dspxbios and ct60xbio
There is also a replacement magxboot too

These need to go into the AUTO folder... You only need the 3 for Magic, so some kind of boot selector like SuperBoot is in order here.

The actual MAGIC.RAM file also needs to be patched too, again a folder called PATCH is the door you need to open here.
Its simple enough to do... So simple that even I can do this one.

There is also a new Shutdown PRG too, that will actually shut the Falcon down under the CT63 too, but that requires some fiddling about and is not vital to the operation of Magic at all.

If you dont feel up to it, let me know and I will email you my patched files.

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:31 am

aah... I was under the impression that I needed only the install and basic.tar for easymint... (~11MB)
I have my eye on some zip drives, a scsi for falcon and a usb-250MB one for the pc(s)
adding a cdrom is a nice option, at least so I can transfer some files quickly :mrgreen: can I add one on the 2.5" IDE port?

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 pm

keropi wrote:aah... I was under the impression that I needed only the install and basic.tar for easymint... (~11MB)
I have my eye on some zip drives, a scsi for falcon and a usb-250MB one for the pc(s)
adding a cdrom is a nice option, at least so I can transfer some files quickly :mrgreen: can I add one on the 2.5" IDE port?

Yes, all you do need is the basic package, btu thats all you will get though... Just a the basic command line ( BASH ).
You wont get any GUI with that... I would not bother wit hthat without at least the X11 to give you a graphic interface.

SCSI for Falcon and USB for PC.
Thats fine... How they connect is not important.

CDROM.
Yes, the Internal IDE can take a CDROM for sure.

I myself only have a HD on the IDE line, although I have piddled about a bit with a new cale and I have added a second 3.5" connector onto it for 2xCF
My CDRW Drives are on the SCSI Line, as is the ZIP100, and the Syquest 44 and 270 Drives.

keropi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby keropi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:10 pm

will a cdrom work out of the box? Do I need a driver perhaps? :?:

edit: YES, I managed to run the control app thanks to the instructions (though xcontrol.acc was already present and patched on the ct63-driver-zip) , I wonder if there is a way to get rid of the useless-for-ct63 temperature enrty in menu... :P

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:32 pm

You don't only need the basic.tar but also the standard.tar. Network is also nice to have if you want to establish a tcp/ip link. You can do without devel and xwindows though. Anyway, a laptop cdrom should work if you have a splitter cable or a normal cdrom if you have a 44-pin to 40-pin ide adapter. You need drivers. The standard atari driver is metados, there is the commercial extendos and the free spin! . Extendos I hear is the best but spin should be adequate. Anyway there is a nice section on transfering files from pc to atari in the wiki.
My Atari blog

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”