Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

ryo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Internet

Postby ryo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:42 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to surf the internet with a TT? Which program?

Thank you.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Internet

Postby bullis1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:49 pm

It certainly is. I don't own one myself, but I've heard that the programs "Cab" and "Highwire" are worth researching. That should get you started for now, until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:09 pm

You can have CAB in both 'pay-for' and 'free-as-in-beer'.
I personally had the 'pay-for' version, and it was great, for the times, that is.
It also offers an SSL overlay, but to modern standards, it has difficulties with complex table renderings, with PNG (there is an upgrade for that), and with UNICODE support. However, it does a good job for the basic/standard stuff. You can connect with SLIP/PPP software (PPPconnect was included in the pay-for version, or you can use StIK/StING), and you better have a multitasking OS ;-)

Highwire is going to be a modern browser. I use it for everyday browsing, but there isn't the SSL support, so I have to use my Mac to access the bank :-)
In the highwire homepage you can find the roadmap, and the current status, with features and known bugs (not many bugs, actually. I only have one, and I can reproduce it exactly, so I think it can be easily sorted out).
Oh, it's free. But I suppose it would be nice to support the development. MintNET needed (or maybe StiK/Sting/glueStik, can't remember)

About history: there is/was also 'light of Adamas'. It was like Netscape, a complete suite for internet. It also had Javascript support.
I never managed to get it working, though. I think it is not supported anymore.

MaLICiouS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MaLICiouS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 pm

I can recommend HighWire. It runs great on a standard 4MB Falcon030, but 14MB of RAM is recommended if you want to run other processes simultaneously, since HighWire tends to eat a lot of memory.
Best of luck!
4MB 1040STe
4MB Mega/STE with FreeMiNT/XaAESm 40MB SCSI HD, 1.44M floppy
Recased Falcon030 with CT2, 64MB TT-RAM, 4MB ST-RAM, FreeMiNT/XaAES, EtherNEC and 40GB HDD

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”