TT030 Hardware questions.

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

TT030 Hardware questions.

Postby Pastor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 am

While changiing the SCSI HDD the power led came off the motherboard do you know the location of the pins on the board? I am guessing that it is one of the sets beside the power supply? I have checked online but was unable to get an answer. Could some please tell me the exact pins.

I also wanted to confirm the fitting of a hdd in the TT when the drive is is the caddy the top of the drive sits directly on top of the ST RAM board? Basically there is no gap betwwen the hdd and the board?

How easy is it swap the ROMS and where are they located? Are there any motherboard diagrames (not schematics) available? What ever happened to the TT030 Homepage?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: TT030 Hardware questions.

Postby joska » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am

Pastor wrote:How easy is it swap the ROMS and where are they located? Are there any motherboard diagrames (not schematics) available?

Here's a diagram of a TT mainboard, unfortunately it's for a rev G mainboard while your's is an earlier revision.

http://www.atari-computermuseum.de/pics/systeme/tt_atw_falcon/board_tt.gif

If you can read some German you can have a look at this: http://www.stcarchiv.de/tos90/11_testataritt.php

The TOS ROMs are on the right hand side of the mainboard, just to the right of the ST RAM board.
Last edited by joska on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 am

The hard drive when fitted properly shouldn't touch the ram at all. Or the ram you have in it is too tall.

See here for tt030 info.

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi Joska/Paul B

Thanks for the info it is very much appreciated. Thats interesting in the picture of the open TT on the Zogging Hell site the drive caddy is attached to the top case, mine is not. It was sitting on the ST RAM card, damn postal service! How do I attach the caddy and drive to the top cover? It will probably be obvious when I look at my TT when I get home.

As far as the power led lead is concerened I am presuming that it is connected to one of the two sets of pins next to the power supply just above where it says VME Expansion on the Zogging Hill picture, there are two sets of pins not in use there. If I try them out and switch on the TT is there any damage that could be caused by choosing the wrong ones?

Thanks again guys for the help I do really appreciate. I much prefer the TT to my Falcon.

Paul

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:34 pm

Pastor wrote:Thanks for the info it is very much appreciated. Thats interesting in the picture of the open TT on the Zogging Hell site the drive caddy is attached to the top case, mine is not. It was sitting on the ST RAM card, damn postal service! How do I attach the caddy and drive to the top cover? It will probably be obvious when I look at my TT when I get home.

Yes, it will be obvious unless the case is seriously damaged.

Pastor wrote:As far as the power led lead is concerened I am presuming that it is connected to one of the two sets of pins next to the power supply just above where it says VME Expansion on the Zogging Hill picture, there are two sets of pins not in use there.

It's pretty clear on this diagram: http://www.atari-computermuseum.de/pics/systeme/tt_atw_falcon/board_tt.gif. It's the two pin connector beside the internal speaker connector.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi Joska

Thanks for the diagramme sorted out the power led. The part of the case where the caddy attaches has a broken notch so the drive will not stay affixed. I have decided to leave having an internal hard drive until I get a new cover for the hdd. I tried the TT with my Sysem solutions 1.7gb external hdd (works perfectly on my Falcon) and I get the following error when it tries to autoboot "no partitions found" there are four partitions on the drive. I ran the HDDriver programme from the Auto folder on HDDriver floppy disk and it found the drive and partitions? I can use the partitions etc. If I reboot same thing no partitions found. I have tried reinstalling the driver on the hdd.

I also tried SCSI tools and while the hushi driver autoboots and runs xboot when I choose to boot with no auto folder programmes or accessories I get a desktop with no icons at all. This problem I have solved,it was the newdesk.inf saved on the drive from the Falcon that caused this problem I renamed the file and saved a TT newdesk.inf and the TT boots. I would still prefer to boot using HDDriver if anyone has any ideas?

What software do I need to install to use the Crazy Dots II display card? I installed NVDI 5 and chose the ET4000 option but redirect does not work and nvdi compalains about a missing or damaged NVDIVGA.INf file? Do I need to install anything from the crazy dot disks?

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 am

do you have a CRDOTS.INF ?
they have a tool to convert CRDOTS.INF to NVDIVGA.INF
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:47 am

Hi ProTos

thanks for the reply. I have a number of disks that came with the card and a German manual. I have not installed any of the cards disks as I am not sure (unfortunatly I dont speak German) what to install. Do I need to install any drivers from the disks for the card? If so which ones?

Thanks

Paul

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:05 am

Pastor wrote:The part of the case where the caddy attaches has a broken notch so the drive will not stay affixed.

No wonder the HD touches the RAM card then! Sorry to hear about the damage to the case.

Pastor wrote:I would still prefer to boot using HDDriver if anyone has any ideas?

Have you checked the boot preferences in the TT's NV-RAM? There is no reason why HD Driver should not be able to autoboot this drive. Just make sure that your external drive does not occupy SCSI ID 7 - this one is reserved for the TT. Again, use bootconf.prg to check the NV-RAM. If the clock batteries are bad (as I wrote earlier I forgot to check these before I sent you the TT) the settings may be off.

Pastor wrote:What software do I need to install to use the Crazy Dots II display card? I installed NVDI 5 and chose the ET4000 option but redirect does not work and nvdi compalains about a missing or damaged NVDIVGA.INf file? Do I need to install anything from the crazy dot disks?

It's been a long time since I did this (IIRC I got the graphics card in 1999 or 2000, haven't touched the drivers since), but there should be a VMG application in the NVDI5 distribution. You need to run this first to set up atleast one working resolution before NVDI can enable the graphics card. I don't think I ever used anything from the Crazy Dots drivers disk, it's been NVDI ET4000 all the way. If you can't get NVDI 5 to work, install NVDI4 ET4000 and set up the graphics card. Then upgrade to NVDI5.
Jo Even

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Pastor wrote:Hi ProTos

thanks for the reply. I have a number of disks that came with the card and a German manual. I have not installed any of the cards disks as I am not sure (unfortunatly I dont speak German) what to install. Do I need to install any drivers from the disks for the card? If so which ones?

Thanks

Paul

you can try to build your NVDIVGA.INF using VMG4000 editor

Code: Select all

VMG4000 v 1.12, the famous resolution editor from Andreas Winter which generates the
needfull NVDIVGA.INF file which will allow to NVDI ET4000 to drive the numerous capabilities of your card.

http://www.ping.be/~pin10575/CRAZYD-E.HTM
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:16 pm

[ProToS] wrote:you can try to build your NVDIVGA.INF using VMG4000 editor

VMG4000 v 1.12, the famous resolution editor from Andreas Winter which generates the
needfull NVDIVGA.INF file which will allow to NVDI ET4000 to drive the numerous capabilities of your card.

http://www.ping.be/~pin10575/CRAZYD-E.HTM

This tool is included in NVDI ET4000 and NVDI5.
Jo Even

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:28 pm

yes your right, never use/instrall this one since I have a Matrix and not a crazydots.
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Joska, ProTos & Paul B

The HDDriver problem was sorted thanks to Uwe Seimet I needed to run the Autoconfiguration option. I am also half way there with the Crazy Dots card. I have created the nvdivga file with the required resolutions. Where do I save the file to? I have so far saved it in the auto folder, root of drive c and in the Gemsys folder. When I boot the TT the Redirect progrrme flashes a quck message in german and it goes to xboot (no redirection to the crazy dots card) when I run nvdi 5 and selrez I choose the required resolution and the screen freezes. I attached the vga cable to the crazy dots card and its working fine, strange. Have I missed something? the order in my auto folder is redirect, xboot, ...nvdi 5 and selrez.

Thanks for any insight and I hope that the above makes sense.

Thanks a million for all the help so far.

Paul

[ProToS]

Postby [ProToS] » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:54 am

Pastor wrote: Have I missed something? the order in my auto folder is redirect, xboot, ...nvdi 5 and selrez.

with nvdi5 normaly you have on auto folder:
NVDI.PRG
REDIRECT.PRG
SLCT_DEV.PRG
SeeU
[ProToS]/Facebook

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:21 am

[ProToS] wrote:
Pastor wrote: Have I missed something? the order in my auto folder is redirect, xboot, ...nvdi 5 and selrez.

with nvdi5 normaly you have on auto folder:
NVDI.PRG
REDIRECT.PRG
SLCT_DEV.PRG

More like...

REDIRECT.PRG
XBOOT.PRG
NVDI.PRG
SLCT_DEV.PRG

The purpose of REDIRECT is to redirect the output from TOS/VDI to the framebuffer of the graphics card before the new VDI (NVDI) is initialized. IIRC there is no point in running REDIRECT after NVDI, as NVDI will already have initialized the graphics card then.
Jo Even

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:53 am

Hi Joska/ProTos

More like...

REDIRECT.PRG
XBOOT.PRG
NVDI.PRG
SLCT_DEV.PRG

That is the order in my auto folder, redirect is not redirecting the video to the card as I mentioned previously. But when NVDI and SLCT_DEV are run the output works with the crazy dots card.

Nearly there now just get over this little problem and the TT will be flying!

US TOS 3.06 chips, TT HDD fitting kit and 8 mb ST RAM card all on their way to me. I have received the top case, floppy drive bracket and AJAX chip from Best electronics. I just need to get my hands on a drive facia for the floppy drive in the TT.

Thanks again for all your help.

Paul

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:10 am

Pastor wrote:That is the order in my auto folder, redirect is not redirecting the video to the card as I mentioned previously. But when NVDI and SLCT_DEV are run the output works with the crazy dots card.

Does redirect print any error messages when booting?
Jo Even

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:35 am

Hi Joska

There is a message that flashes so fast it is hard to read. I think that it is in German. What happens when redirect is functioning normally? Does the TT's video display go blank and the video is transfered to the crazy dots card? Or do they run in parralel? When the original hdd was working in the TT I normally kept the vga cable in the crazy dots card and waited for redirect to work and then xboot appeared! Any way to pause redirects message?

Thanks again.

Paul

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:55 am

Pastor wrote:Hi Joska

There is a message that flashes so fast it is hard to read. I think that it is in German.

Probably an error message, it would be interesting to know what it says.

Pastor wrote:What happens when redirect is functioning normally? Does the TT's video display go blank and the video is transfered to the crazy dots card?

Yes.

Pastor wrote:Any way to pause redirects message?

If you're fast you could try Control+S, although I'm not sure if that works with TOS.
Jo Even

nobogod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nobogod » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:13 pm

joska wrote:
Pastor wrote:Any way to pause redirects message?

If you're fast you could try Control+S, although I'm not sure if that works with TOS.

You can place a little PRG (into the AUTO folder right after the one you're talking about) that waits for a key press.
Something like ~INP(2) in GFA Basic

This way you can read the message before the next program in que loads or before the screen is cleared.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:20 pm

nobogod wrote:You can place a little PRG (into the AUTO folder right after the one you're talking about) that waits for a key press.
Something like ~INP(2) in GFA Basic

This way you can read the message before the next program in que loads or before the screen is cleared.

Here's a quickie in C... could be written in 100th the executable size in assembler, in about 4 instructions, but anyway:

#include <tosbind.h>
void main() {Cconin();}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tá'n poc ar buile!

belboz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby belboz » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:22 pm

I have a TT with Crazy Dots II card. If I remember right you need to use the Crazy Dots software to create a file that contains all the resolutions available to your monitor (that the CD card can handle). I think you need to have a 640x480 or some low resolution in there for the redirect program to work. I think the file is called crdots.inf or something similar.

When you run that software and go through and tweak your various resolutions you want you then save that inf file and put it in the auto folder I believe.

Its been so long since I tweaked those settings, I am quite fuzzy on the process now.

Pastor
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Pastor » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:01 am

Hi Desty, belboz, Joska and ProTos

Thanks for the code and suggestions. The error message from the redirect programme is as follows: "Keine monochrome 640*480-Auflosing Vorhanden" or there abouts. Any ideas? I get the exact same message with ET4000 version of NVDI 4.

Thanks

Paul

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:43 am

Sounds like Belboz was spot on then, since the error message says 640x480x2 isn't an available resolution. Sounds like you need to create that file specifying the resolutions your card can do?
tá'n poc ar buile!

belboz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby belboz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:21 am

Desty summed it up pretty well.

You need to create a 640x480x2 monochrome resolution with the crazy dots manager software and save the crdots.inf (or whatever it is called file).

The redirect program needs it in order to give you a monochrome looking bootup screen for the rest of your auto folder programs to load until NVDI kicks in.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”